Channel to stream from Seagate GoFlex (HipServ)

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Private Channel to stream from Seagate GoFlex

Postby hozedhead » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:15 pm

pacem wrote:This channel just made the Roku so much more for my family. It's an attractive and user-friendly interface. Now if they would just get the DivX codec... ;-)

Divx is going the way of the Dodo bird. Use avidemux or another similar program to repackage your videos to MP4.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby jambalaya » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestion FX4. I had already gone down the path of updating the GoFlex software and rebooted though. The about panel says it is at version 2.7-388, and the Update Software check says the software is up-to-date. I have also rebooted the router and the Roku 2 XS, and checked the HipServ app version (v1.5 April 7). My iPhone GoFlex Access app shows the Goflex Home Public folders using the same login credentials as the Roku, and the PC browser login shows the folders too. I am at a loss as to why the HipServ Roku app won't show the Goflex Home Public folder. As I mentioned previously the search icon works and you can playback from the search results. Weird..
jambalaya

Postby FX4 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:56 pm

If you go to the Stora forum, the writers of Hipserv have posted a troubleshooting procedure including fix software. You could probably try it since the GoFlex and Stora are the same thing. They may have even written a version specifically for the GoFlex but I don't know where that would be located.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby jambalaya » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:37 pm

OK I got to the bottom of it - the HipServ app doesn't like mixed case account names. I was using an account named "MyMedia", which authenticates but doesn't show the folders, whereas "mymedia" works properly. All looks good now..
jambalaya

Postby dwanthny » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:43 pm

jambalaya wrote:OK I got to the bottom of it - the HipServ app doesn't like mixed case account names. I was using an account named "MyMedia", which authenticates but doesn't show the folders, whereas "mymedia" works properly. All looks good now..

Thanks for sharing your solution.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby FX4 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:45 pm

That is good to know, I'm in the process of reorganizing my Stora.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby acoronaf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Marcelo

I just add your private channel (which I think is GREAT!!!) but unfortunately did not work with my Lacie Home Edition, I try all options available (including the HipServ other using the name of the device, the IP, IP+ port and I get returned to the main Menu of the roku channels. That is why I decide to write you regarding another device to see if you can implement.

The webpage for authentication is:

https://www.homelacie.com/

If you need additional information I can create a user for this kind of devices (using mine of course), you can contact me at acoronaf@gmail.com

Thank you and let me know if you can help

ALberto
acoronaf

Postby marcelo.cabral » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:27 pm

acoronaf wrote:Hi Marcelo

I just add your private channel (which I think is GREAT!!!) but unfortunately did not work with my Lacie Home Edition, I try all options available (including the HipServ other using the name of the device, the IP, IP+ port and I get returned to the main Menu of the roku channels. That is why I decide to write you regarding another device to see if you can implement.

The webpage for authentication is:

https://www.homelacie.com/

If you need additional information I can create a user for this kind of devices (using mine of course), you can contact me at acoronaf@gmail.com

Thank you and let me know if you can help

ALberto

Hi Alberto,

I will add the support to LaCie to the next relase, stay tuned.

Marcelo
marcelo.cabral

Postby oldschoolgnu » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 am

I am also unable to find a device name for my GoFlex and am unable to connect to this channel. Can someone help me? I am running Windows Vista so none of the suggestions have worked for me.
oldschoolgnu

Postby jambalaya » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:24 am

I think the Hipserv server only runs on the GoFlex Home series (the ethernet NAS server), and not the GoFlex Desktop (USB). Just pointing that out since you mentioned you had Windows Vista, which might indicate you have the usb-connected variety of GoFlex?
jambalaya

Postby socantra » Wed May 02, 2012 12:33 pm

I'd just like to add my kudos and thanks for this really well done channel. I was in the market for a 2 TB drive and picked up a refurb Goflex Home for about the same price as a plain drive. I'm having a great time setting it up, and the wife really likes NOT hearing "No, that's on another drive. I'll go find it in a minute........"

Thanks again. :D
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby FX4 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 am

He really did a great job with this app. I have been playing around with a bunch of them and while this is not the most full featured it is the most stable. It just works and works well.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby marcelo.cabral » Thu May 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi guys,

I have a new version ready with support to LaCie devices and a very cool "Bookmark" feature, but the problem is that Roku has very limited space to save application data and to have Bookmarks I had to implement a service on an Internet web server to save the Bookmarks.

Now the issue is if I make this version public I may have problems with my "low cost" hosting service, if the usage start to be big with this channel.

So I'm considering to split the project in two versions, on "Lite" with basic and limited version and a "Full" with Bookmark and eventually new other features that would have a one time small cost that would cover the Hosting for the aditional features.

Any other ideas ?
marcelo.cabral

Postby socantra » Fri May 11, 2012 7:47 am

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the bookmark feature, but I am loving the channel. It caused me to buy a Seagate Goflex Home. I am still learning to use the whole setup (and coming up with new uses for it). One of the main features I enjoy is being able to serve my local media to the Roku without having to keep the computer running all the time.

I would consider the payment of a reasonable one time fee to be well worth it to me for the work you've already done and to keep you playing with the channel in the future.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby jambalaya » Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

My thoughts / reactions on your bookmark proposal Marcelo -

1) You might introduce privacy concerns with a central bookmarking service? (assuming the bookmarks tie media filenames and accounts together). If you are thinking of a paid channel you might need to address the concern with a privacy policy. You might even cause concerns about collection of account credentials since the HipServ is likely being used for full backups, which could include your latest tax return or whatever. (Seagate themselves have to address the privacy issue too of course.)

2) I have an 8GB microsd card plugged into my Roku 2 XS, which is supposedly for both game and channel storage according to this blog - http://blog.roku.com/blog/2011/08/10/using-microsd-cards-with-roku-2/, so there is a workaround for the later models if you need more storage (supporting all models would be a priority though, so maybe not a good approach.)

3) Bookmarking sounds useful for restarting the latest media file, but I'm not sure I would even want this feature for a media file from the past - maybe a local-storage compromise would be to support bookmarking of the last media file only?

4) I am assuming the current app doesn't hit the internet at all after the SeagetShare connection has given you the local IP - that makes your app very robust. An internet bookmarking service sounds like it would re-introduce internet dependencies?

5) Lite versus Full is a good way to get folks to try your application before ponying up for a paid app. Presumably you could actually profit from this app if the stars align for you (even without a hosted bookmark service).

6) One minor improvement suggestion: I am using the .cvr feature, but it takes a long time to bring up a folder with a lot of videos. The eqivalent GoFlex Access app on my iPad is very quick by comparison (without the cvr feature of course). Any chance of speeding up the display of folders with a lot of files? (since the scrolling window is small anyway).

7) Congrats again on a nice app. Sorry about the ramble but you did ask..

Cheers
jambalaya

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion