Finding shows online so my folks can drop cable

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Finding shows online so my folks can drop cable

Postby ICandy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:56 pm

kieranmullen wrote:Hi thanks for the Interest. 1)Do all of these work with roku? 2)Which of these websites have the shows I mentioned? Thanks

ICandy wrote:Here is a list I came up with. ...

These are just websites I found online to keep me entertained. You many want to go through the list and see what you like. I don't think any have Roku apps but maybe a few people on here would be willing to make an App for you. You can also ask the people who manage the channels if they would be making a Roku app soon.
ICandy

Postby kc8pql » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:51 pm

ICandy wrote: I don't think any have Roku apps...

Actually, quite a few have Roku channels, and content from many of the others is also available within other channels.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mommom » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Most of that list will require a pc to watch,except for the main Roku channels like Netflix,Amazonondemand,Crackle,etc.Here is the most up to date list on the web for Roku available channels.http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
mommom

Postby catastrophegirl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:56 pm

out of that list, here are the ones i know of that have some content on roku, and where i found it

Netflix.com– standalone channel
Crackle.com– standalone channel
Amazon.com– standalone channel
hulu.com – hulu plus only– standalone channel
archive.org -nowheretv
blinkx.com– standalone channel
break.com – standalone channel
current.com -nowheretv
snagfilms.com– standalone channel
www.dramafever.com – standalone channel

Bloomberg Television - www.bloomberg.com/tv – standalone channel
BYU TV - byutv.org – standalone channel
C-SPAN -www.c-span.org –nowheretv, newscaster
Cartoon Network - www.cartoonnetwork.com – nowheretv
CNBC -www.cnbc.com –nowheretv, newscaster
CNN -www.cnn.com – newscaster, nowheretv
ESPN –espn.com – some content in nowheretv, newscaster
EWTN -www.ewtn.com – standalone channel
Fox News Channel -www.foxnews.com – standalone channel
G4 videogame tv - www.g4tv.com - nowheretv
Hallmark Channel - www.hallmarkchannel.com – spiritsclips channel has many hallmark movies and hallmark just bought spiritclips so an expansion is to be expected
HBO - www.hbo.com – with HBO subscription and the right provider

Lifetime Real Women - www.mylifetime.com - nowheretv

Madison Square Garden (MSG) - www.msg.com/tv/tv-schedule
Military Channel - militarychannel.com – itpc
MSNBC - www.msnbc.msn.com – nowheretv, newscaster
NASA TV - www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html - standalone channel, nowheretv, newscaster
NBA TV - www.nba.com/nbatv – standalone channel
PBS Kids Sprout - pbskids.org – nowheretv, PBS private channel
SHOWTIME - www.sho.com – standalone channel
Speed Channel - www.speedtv.com - nowheretv
Univision - www.univision.com - nowheretv
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:26 am

Guys and gals, please try to limit the amount of links you post to possible/factual content for the Roku. It becomes a nightmare for me trying to moderate when it's flagged as possible spam. Better to send the info via PM to "someone in the know" (in this case, Catastrophegirl), than to post it openly.

I'm content to let this one pass for now, since most of the links have been vetted, but in the future I reserve the right to furious moderation of such posts :)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby ICandy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:37 am

RokuShawnS wrote:Guys and gals, please try to limit the amount of links you post to possible/factual content for the Roku. It becomes a nightmare for me trying to moderate when it's flagged as possible spam. Better to send the info via PM to "someone in the know" (in this case, Catastrophegirl), than to post it openly.

I'm content to let this one pass for now, since most of the links have been vetted, but in the future I reserve the right to furious moderation of such posts :)

C. Shawn Smith

I think your comment directed towards me. I also think this is unfair of you to post this as a user error when it is a forum error and chastise me for posting links. Other forums I use do not have this problem. The links were provided to answer the person's questions, not to troll or spam the forum. I did not know spamming was posting a bunch of useful links that may be beneficial to other users on this forum. I only posted one link and many of the posts were not promotional purposes. On other forums I visit spamming consists of posing several post about one subject, promoting a specific product or website for sales purposes, or bumping a post several uncessary times. Please post your definition of spamming in the post that outlines the rules.

The links may be beneficial to others who have cut the cord and use Roku as a subsitute for cable. There is no comprised list of these websites available on the web and through many hours of reseach, I was able to find the sites and make a posting of good recomendations. Also, the links may encourage people to create Roku channels are ask the websites to create channels for the Roku which is beneficial to both you and the forum users.

The I feel issue should not be addressed to a forum user as myself but to the people who created the Roku site. Also, how am I supposed to PM "someone in the know" when there is not a list. I am only able to see forum moderators. Catastrophegirl does not appear to be a forum moderator. Please post a list of "someone in the know" or an updated list of forum moderators to avoid future confusion. Also, please reflect the post of the forum rules to reflect these changes. The forum rules do not mention anything about posting multiple links in a post that are for nonpromotional purposes as spamming.
ICandy

Postby catastrophegirl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 am

RokuShawnS wrote:Guys and gals, please try to limit the amount of links you post to possible/factual content for the Roku. It becomes a nightmare for me trying to moderate when it's flagged as possible spam. Better to send the info via PM to "someone in the know" (in this case, Catastrophegirl), than to post it openly.

C. Shawn Smith

sorry, i was being lazy and just copied the previous and pasted instead of removing the active links. i'll keep that in mind for the future
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby mommom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Most of the first list of links is available through the Kylo browser using a pc.Nice and tidy and easy to access.
mommom

Postby dfoxworth » Mon May 07, 2012 12:52 am

I wish you could stream Kylo.tv thru Roku. They need to make an app for that!
dfoxworth

Postby orear » Fri May 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to Roku. Is it possible to watch Fox News Channel live in the evenings or only M-F 9-3? Where do I find the live stream?

If I can't watch it live, can any of the weeknight shows be found on Roku, like Hannity, O'Reilly (The Factor), On the Record?

Thank you for your help.
orear

Postby dwanthny » Fri May 11, 2012 9:10 pm

orear wrote:If I can't watch it live, can any of the weeknight shows be found on Roku, like Hannity, O'Reilly (The Factor), On the Record?

You can't watch the whole show but using this channel, you can watch the clips from the shows in the order of viewing by using the Play it forward feature of the channel. The clips of talking head panels usually don't make the cut, but the rest of the shows can be viewed.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby kieranmullen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Then you are overdoing it on moderation then and they need to find something else for you to do at Roku. The point of the forum is for others to benefit not to send private messages. Thankfully with 2747 views someone is getting value out of it. :-)

C. Shawn Smith
kieranmullen

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:59 pm

kieranmullen wrote:Then you are overdoing it on moderation then and they need to find something else for you to do at Roku. The point of the forum is for others to benefit not to send private messages. Thankfully with 2747 views someone is getting value out of it. :-)

C. Shawn Smith

Kieranmullen: whether you agree with me or not, I don't care. We covered this in PMs last evening.

I have to vet every single link someone posts to insure the link is safe and not spoofed in some way, even if the link looks legit. Having dozens of links in a single post takes time away from helping people with real tech support issues, or from reporting to my superiors things they need to be aware of. My request is not up for debate.

Also, you are posting off topic to a thread, which violates our forum guidelines

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion