All 3 Roku HD boxes getting hot and freezing

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

All 3 Roku HD boxes getting hot and freezing

Postby lhengst » Sat May 12, 2012 8:28 pm

I just "cut the cable" and decided to replace my 3 Uverse cable boxes with 3 Roku HD boxes. I've been very pleased with the program selection.

To give myself a bit of credibility, I have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, and these boxes seems to be running a bit too hot. Not all the time, only after I have been watching shows on them for a while. I don't have enough data yet to confirm, but it seems that every time the box gets really hot the interface starts to partially freeze and act funny.

I have been thinking about putting a large metal plate on top of the Roku to help dissipate heat. I am really worried that these things are going to eventually fry themselves. I've already read a few posts on this forum of people complaining about similar problems. I've only had my 3 Roku HDs for 1 week and have had the thing freeze up twice. Unplugging the power and plugging it back in has fixed the problem thus far.

If this is indeed a design flaw, I don't want to RMA the thing only to receive the same revision product as a replacement. I'd rather wait until Roku R&D has root caused the problem and implemented a fix with preferably a new revision of the product or some sort of software hack (less ideal) in the form of new firmware that fakes a fix to the problem. My household can watch 12 straight hours of TV (yeah, it is a shame), so, I hope the Roku is designed to run full tilt for that long without breaks in between. If it isn't, it should be.
lhengst

Re: All 3 Roku HD boxes getting hot and freezing

Postby FX4 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Which HD models do you have? There are several. I have one HD unit and it does get a bit warm but nothing that ever concerned me. If it's Roku ones they are kind of memory limited so after a few hours of streaming you may just be filling the memory up.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby lhengst » Sat May 12, 2012 9:38 pm

"Which HD models do you have?" All 3 of them are the "Roku HD Streaming Player" currently selling for $59.99.

"If it's Roku ones they are kind of memory limited so after a few hours of streaming you may just be filling the memory up."
I guess it might be possible that there is a memory leak and that over time the unit must be power cycled to clean up the memory leak. This doesn't seem like the case though. If this were the case, letting the unit cool down would likely not fix the problem. About an hour ago, the unit was hot and acting flakey. I waited about 10 minutes without streaming any video (the screen saver was running) and things worked fine afterwards.

Either way, something is wrong with the units. My gut feeling is that it is heat related. Well, it is more than a gut feeling, these things shouldn't be getting so hot. I think I have a thermocouple out in the garage I could use to measure the heat of thing. I'll see if I can find it.
lhengst

Postby FX4 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:26 pm

I really doubt it is a design flaw. There are literally millions of these things out there being used everyday. Your problems probably have something to do with your local network or network connection. I have five Roku boxes and not a problem streaming with any of them.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby MazeWizzard » Sun May 13, 2012 2:05 pm

lhengst wrote:<snip>To give myself a bit of credibility, I have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, and these boxes seems to be running a bit too hot.<snip>

I have been thinking about putting a large metal plate on top of the Roku to help dissipate heat.
<snip>

IDK if they are actually too hot or not. But if you want to cool them, putting a heat sink on top may work or not do you much good. At minimum, I'd make sure to use some decent thermal compound with that heat sink. May wish to try a small fan (like a computer case fan).

I assume that since there aren't any holes on top of my XS, that the case IS a heat sink. (Some form of thermal plastic?)

Since you have a bachelor's in EE, I'm kinda surprised you haven't voided at least one warranty and torn one apart already. Please let us know how it's connected thermally if you do ;)

Given their wattage, I'm surprised it's getting very hot.
Last edited by MazeWizzard on Sun May 13, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MazeWizzard

Postby philsoft » Sun May 13, 2012 2:08 pm

You do have good air flow around the units right?
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby lhengst » Sun May 13, 2012 5:06 pm

We were watching "Grizzly Man" today and the Roku froze. I waited about 15 minutes and it didn't recover. I had to unplug the power and plug it back in. The temperature at the bottom of the Roku was over 125 degrees F (I measured 125 degrees about 4 minutes after I power cycled it). I wonder how hot it was on the inside of the box.

Now to respond to you all...
"You do have good air flow around the units right?"
Yes. Nothing around it.

"At minimum, I'd make sure to use some decent thermal compound with that heat sink. May wish to try a small fan (like a computer case fan)."
Well, yeah, if I wasn't so lazy and didn't want to do anything more than put a metal plate on top of it and hope for "enough" additional heat dissipation. I hope I don't have to use thermal paste or a fan. I think I'll return the thing before it gets that far.

"I assume that since there aren't any holes on top of my XS, that the case IS a heat sink. (Some form of thermal plastic?)"
Or... just plastic that a mechanical engineer determined could dissipate heat fast enough.

"Since you have a bachelor's in EE, I'm kinda surprised you haven't voided at least one warranty and torn one apart already. Please let us know how it's connected thermally if you do"
Please don't tempt me.

"I really doubt it is a design flaw. There are literally millions of these things out there being used everyday. Your problems probably have something to do with your local network or network connection. I have five Roku boxes and not a problem streaming with any of them"
FX4, you come across as an apologist for Roku. The Roku box should never freeze, regardless of the network connection. If the Roku freezes there is either a software bug or a hardware issue. If the network connection is bad/invalid/etc. the Roku should be able to recover from it and hopefully display a message like... "Bad network connection" and let you return to the main menu. In my case, it is frozen. I still think it is quite possible that there a just software bugs, however, 125 degrees F seems too hot for this device.

FYI, We keep my house at 74 degrees F.

"There are literally millions of these things out there being used everyday."
Except that the "Roku HD" released April 27th 2012.

"I have five Roku boxes and not a problem streaming with any of them."
Which Roku box do you own?
lhengst

Postby FX4 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm not an apologist for anything. I am a guy that buys a lot of technology and when something works I use it. Roku works. I have a closet full of stuff that didn't and in the pile are a fair number of media players. BTW, I'm a network engineer.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby lhengst » Sun May 13, 2012 6:53 pm

"I'm not an apologist for anything. I am a guy that buys a lot of technology and when something works I use it. Roku works. I have a closet full of stuff that didn't and in the pile are a fair number of media players. BTW, I'm a network engineer."

Sorry for calling you an apologist. I guess that makes me the apologist. hehe.

At this point, I do feel like i am jumping to conclusions a bit when I say I think my problems are related to overheating. All of my evidence is weak. I am just going off my own personal experiences. I have never had consumer grade device get that hot without something going wrong.
lhengst

Postby FX4 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:10 pm

I checked the temp of my Roku 2 after playing for about an hour of 720P on Hulu + and it's running at about 85F. The only time I have seen these boxes hang is when I have had network problems of one kind or another. Since I upgraded my network I haven't seen an issue. I had an old Netgear switch that caused problems after a few hours of video and once I replaced it things have been clean. I do need to reboot my XDS once in a while but I can tell when it needs a reboot. I haven't seen this issue on the Roku 2.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby MazeWizzard » Sun May 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Speaking of "returning the thing" before it gets too far. What did customer service say?

CS would know of any recent design changes and/or other reports of problems. (Not saying it's bad to check here tho). Also, the gang monitoring this board is more active weekdays (IMO) so we may see more info from them.

Heat problems with electronics... as you probably know better than I... are a good guess at least 50% of the time, particularly if the thing is that warm to the touch.

If it were me, not knowing what you've done so far, and not getting another better response (like "return it" from CS) I'd:
A) confirm that it wasn't a network error by locating it very close to the wi-fi.
B) try another app/channel to confirm there wasn't an issue on the server side
C) Confirm that it happens on all three boxes by swapping boxes in the close-wi-fi spot.

Random thought: Good to double check the power supply sticker too (the older units had different wall warts). Doubt that's it, but who knows.

We're not really telling you much that you don't already know. The general answer seems to be "no others have been reporting this"...(the heat)... at least so far. Who knows, maybe you're the 1st. Maybe it's something else.

Man. Wish you good luck with this one.
MazeWizzard

Postby __5 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:35 am

lhengst wrote:We were watching "Grizzly Man" today and the Roku froze. ......

Could you post more info click here.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby JimMadsen » Tue May 15, 2012 7:33 pm

lhengst wrote:I have never had consumer grade device get that hot without something going wrong.

LOL, better stay away from a MagicJack Plus! Those things can get a bit warm to the touch.

Out of curiosity though, do the new rokus have a memory card and if yes, do you have one plugged in? I recently had a cell phone start losing battery strength over the course of a couple of hours. Like a usual 2 day charge lasting 3 hours. Upon closer inspection, the casing around the card was hot to the touch. I removed the card and everything was fine. So I was thinking maybe a constant read error/loop for the memory? That would be a defective batch then. I just wish I was able to access the card! It got fried :cry:
JimMadsen

Postby atoi2008 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Definitely a Heat issue on the Roku HD. I have the same box and since it's always on it gets really hot and starts behaving erratically. the UI freezes for periods of time, but so far recovers. Network latency behaves entirely differently (buffering (and I have 25Mbit downstream with me being the only user)).

The Roku 2500X is a great product. I'm just surprised that there is no fan in it.

Only real concern I have is the life of the processor. I just try not to think about the infamous marketing model of creating disposable products with a purposely limited lifespan so one will have to buy the new one.
atoi2008

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:15 am

6-month old thread. We usually lock these threads if that's the case, because firmware and hardware revisions can change the nature of the game.

That being said, I'm content to leave this one open, however I suggest you contact CS in regards to the problem. They'll run you through a few hoops to try and nail down the issue that might be causing excessive heat, and if it so happens that it is the Roku at fault, they'll be in a position to evaluate whether or not an RMA is in order.

In general, because of the low wattage used, overheating is not a widespread issue, and I don't know of a single case through CS that has ever been reported in which a unit did, in fact, overheat, to a danger point. I personally have a Roku 2 HD (one of the first generations, I believe), and I'm not experiencing this at all, despite its very prevalent use in my home (moreso than the XS).

I'd be more inclined to think it was something within your setup (location, nearness to other electronics, lack of airflow, or even a bad power strip/surge protector) that would be causing the problem.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion