Facebook Device Registration

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Facebook Device Registration

Postby LunaticGT » Tue May 15, 2012 6:33 am

I wanted to add the Facebook channel to my roku xd so the old folks (and anyone else watching the tv in my living room) could go on and look at pics uploaded by friends and family that I was connected to (because the old folks don't do computer). Well, I had some issues I wanted to mention.

The roku gave me the code and I went to the facebook and entered the code. Then a window came up asking me to check or uncheck 3 options 1. roku device can add/edit content, 2. roku device can read content, 3. roku can access my data at any time.

I decided I didn't want just anyone watching the tv to be able to post to my facebook page via the roku so I unchecked that option. I also unchecked the option for roku to access my data any time they want. (Sorry but if a business wants my personal data, especially data that has nothing to do with their product, for their marketing and potential profit from reselling, then they need to pay me for it).

Well, according to facebook the device registration was "successful!". Back on the roku it was too. Now I select to go to the channel and it says the code entered was incorrect. So...

I tried another code, and another. Then I tried hitting the "skip" button where the 3 check boxes were. Fail. Fail. Fail.

So I then tried yet another code and left all access options checked and guess what? The roku was linked and I could access facebook.

So I am left wondering a few things: 1. why are there options to check or uncheck if they are - in fact - not options at all? 2. Why does the facebook page tell me the registration was successful and the roku say it also yet when I try to go to the channel it says the code entered was incorrect when - in fact - it was not? 3. What data is roku accessing and what are they doing with that data? 4. If I disconnect my roku device from my facebook account at some point in the future will they still be accessing my personal data anyway?

Did roku purposely put those useless checkboxes in so everyone would do what I did and after frustration at multiple attempts to link the device then just give permission for anything goes with my facebook account? This seems like poor programming and a lack of care for the customer at the least or possibly even a shady business practice.

I hope roku will at least inform users better of what data they are collecting and if they are selling it for profit and say it like it is - you must give permission or you will not be linked. Now how hard is that?
LunaticGT

Re: Facebook Device Registration

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue May 15, 2012 6:48 am

I do not think Roku had anything to do with the development or implementation of the "Facebook" ch since generally Roku does not develop channels. Roku is just the platform by which channels are displayed.

Most probably Facebook are the ones you need to contact regarding almost all issues with their ch.

Again Roku provides an open API which third parties use to produce channel. All responsibility for what that ch does and for any issues with their ch lies with the developer of the ch not Roku.
Gilgamesh

Postby gonzotek » Tue May 15, 2012 8:54 am

Roku worked with Facebook on this channel. They(Roku) were actively soliciting feedback on it when they announced it in July 2011:
http://blog.roku.com/blog/2011/07/08/ne ... o-channel/
...We’ve worked with Facebook to significantly improve the experience of finding and viewing photos from Facebook, and as the channel name suggests, we’ve also added video support....

If you have comments on how to further improve the Facebook experience on Roku, write the product team at feedback@roku.com. We’re listening.
I can't answer definitively, but I expect that the principal issue arises from how Facebook's API interacts (or fails to interact) with the Roku device. The Facebook API is primarily designed around a web-browsing/mobile app experience, and devices like STBs, which don't have advanced interfaces, suffer usability issues (such as the unclear multi-option permission box) as a result. Still, clearly, they could do better communicating what the necessary requirements are for.

For reference, the linking/access API for devices is described here:
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/au ... n/devices/
Facebook states there that the API is still under testing with a limited number of device partners, and that it is not available for general use. Issues like the one described here are probably part of the reason why it isn't widely available yet.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby tensen » Tue May 15, 2012 9:06 am

I think it goes with the general Facebook app principle. There are lots of games on Facebook that I don't want to provide information to. They prompt me and as me to authorize access. If I refuse to grant me the access, they don't let me use the game. It is annoying.
tensen

Postby plschrader » Sat May 19, 2012 9:19 am

I couldn't get the registration to work from my iPad but it did work from my laptop.
plschrader

Postby libio » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:53 am

Jvwg46
libio

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:56 am

Forum Rules!

When creating a topic, please perform a search or glance over the first two pages before posting the topic, as it may have been covered already. In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.
Gilgamesh

Postby libio » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:56 am

JVWG46
Code: Select all

libio

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion