Netflix Channel Loading Issues

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Netflix Channel Loading Issues

Postby rbrodbeck » Wed May 16, 2012 6:15 pm

I just received my Roku XD in the mail today. I have install a few channels (Pandora, Crackle) that work just fine. I cannot get the Netflix channel to work properly though. It either remains at the "Retrieving" screen the whole time or it kicks back out to the home screen almost immediately. I have contacted Roku support several times today and they had me do a bunch of things (re-installing channel, unregistered device with Netflix, rebooting, ensuring it was the most recent software, even changing my router's DNS to use the Google DNS) but nothing has worked.

As of right now it has been escalated to the technical team but I haven't heard anything yet. I was just curious as to if anyone as was experiencing this problem. I have noticed that the Netflix streaming player UI on my PC has changed...I'm not sure if that has anything to with it or not though.
rbrodbeck

Re: Netflix Channel Loading Issues

Postby __5 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:13 pm

try This_ (• Netflix Channel streaming issues,)

Good luck
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby harpchad » Wed May 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Same issue, received Roku XD today, everything I've tried works except NetFlix. Launch the channel, it says retrieving for a second or so, then I'm back at the home screen.

AppleTV connected to another TV and a Vizio are both working fine, so I don't think it's my connection.

Tried the troubleshooting steps above, but same results.
harpchad

Postby herno74 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Ever since the 4.7 update, Netflix has been acting all weird for me too. I can pick a title to watch from the main screen, but when I go into it to play, a different title will pop up.

Even the streaming isn't as good as before, but the menu's getting all glitchy are really annoying me to death.

And no, I don't think this is on Netflix's end.

Anybody got any ideas on what the issue may be?
herno74

Postby dwanthny » Wed May 16, 2012 10:15 pm

herno74 wrote:Anybody got any ideas on what the issue may be?

All I can report is my Roku 2 XD and XS are both running 4.7 since Tuesday morning and I have watched Netflix for the last two days without incident.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby kc8pql » Thu May 17, 2012 6:14 am

herno74 wrote:Ever since the 4.7 update, Netflix has been acting all weird for me too.

I doubt it's the update. If it was, this board would be covered with complaints.
Netflix is working fine for me too.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby knuckle » Thu May 17, 2012 6:18 am

I take it every one has entered the channel store and exited via the home button to make sure they have the latest and greatest version of netflix right?
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle

Postby philsoft » Thu May 17, 2012 6:49 am

herno74 wrote:Ever since the 4.7 update, Netflix has been acting all weird for me too. I can pick a title to watch from the main screen, but when I go into it to play, a different title will pop up.

Even the streaming isn't as good as before, but the menu's getting all glitchy are really annoying me to death.

And no, I don't think this is on Netflix's end.

I have seen this too, but I don't know how you can conclude that it isn't a Netflix problem.
philsoft

Postby tynkerbelle » Thu May 17, 2012 8:01 pm

I have one roku that streams netflix perfectly. I bought two more this week (refurbished) and tried hooking them up and they will stream anything BUT netflix. Ive done the reset, reboot, re~added the channel. Nothing. Customer service with roku finally sent me to my ISP who said changing the DNS was a bad idea esp if the other roku was streaming fine so back to roku cust service and they told me @ 7:40 PST tonight that netflix was having roku issues & to try it again late tonight or tomorrow. Anyone else hear this?
tynkerbelle

Postby milamg » Thu May 17, 2012 9:04 pm

I have been having the stream loading issue for the past 3 or 4 days as well. Worked great for years apart from the time about a year ago (maybe?) when many people were having this issue and someone stumbled upon the fact that it may have been connected to too many items in your netflix instant queue. Tried that this time, plus rebooting, checking router, delete Netf. channel, reboot, re-add, etc. No luck.

Interestingly, this time I'm currently having an issue with my Amazon instant stream as well. It plays a few seconds and then tells me that 'this program is temporarily unavailable'.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. My roku has no value without Netflix.
milamg

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu May 17, 2012 10:11 pm

milamg wrote:I have been having the stream loading issue for the past 3 or 4 days as well. Worked great for years apart from the time about a year ago (maybe?) when many people were having this issue and someone stumbled upon the fact that it may have been connected to too many items in your netflix instant queue. Tried that this time, plus rebooting, checking router, delete Netf. channel, reboot, re-add, etc. No luck.

Interestingly, this time I'm currently having an issue with my Amazon instant stream as well. It plays a few seconds and then tells me that 'this program is temporarily unavailable'.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. My roku has no value without Netflix.

Sounds a bit like the DNS you are usng is not providing a good route to your Netflix and/or Amazon CDN.

Try changing your primary DNS to Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ) or OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 ) or Verizon/GTE DNS ( 4.2.2.2 ). It is simple to change and you can always change back if it does not help.

Also, if your Roku is running wireless and you have one that can go wired temporarily run a cable and test it wired to see if it is a wireless issue. Also try a different ch for wireless as something could be interfering on the current ch even if it is "auto". Channel 11 is often recommended but others like 6 are reasonable to be tried. BTW: an "Excellent" signal reading is nearly meaningless as it only really reflects signal strength and most interference issues will not be indicated in Roku's report.

Also a slight relocation of the Roku can often reduce the effect of any interference.
Gilgamesh

Postby Snezz1e » Thu May 17, 2012 10:48 pm

I just purchased 3 refurb Roku XD. 2 of them work with Netflix fine but the third gets stuck at retrieving and kicks back to home screen. I tried the suggested fixes such as removing the channel, factory reset, and nothing works. It doesn't sound like roku will be able to do anything to help. The fact that the other two work fine tells me its the device itself. I think I will have to rma with merchant for quickest fix.
Snezz1e

Postby rbrodbeck » Fri May 18, 2012 5:32 am

I wanted to provide a bit of an update to my original issue.
As of now there has been no resolution. I have tried everything the support technicians have asked me to do and everything that I have read online (removing/re-adding channel, changing DNS, power cycling device along with router and modem, factory reset). One tech I spoke with last night, after speaking for 45 minutes, told me that there was an issue with Netflix at that time and to try again later. So an hour later I was still having the issue so I called back. This time, the tech I spoke to got someone from Netflix on the line with me. The Netflix tech told me that everything was running smoothly on their end and that it is likely an issue that Roku is having picking up the stream on their end. So back to the Roku tech and he finally gave up and escalated my call once again. I was told that I should hear back in about 1 or 2 business days and that it is possible that the issue resolves itself in the meantime.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I asked the Roku tech if it was possible that my player was defective. He said no because all of my other channels were working correctly.
rbrodbeck

Postby bobbyf16 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:18 pm

I also have this same problem.
My problem started when I deactivated all devices in my Netflix account.
After activating this device (Roku XD|S) I get the retrieving message, then it immediately unexpectedly quits to roku home screen.
bobbyf16

Postby jwill » Sat May 19, 2012 12:36 am

Same here.
Just joined with new account and new Roku XD. Same issue, gets all the free channels, and all the pay per view, but it kicks back out when I try to go to Netflix. Netflix works ok on my laptop.

Don't know where to go from here but it sounds like a a Netflix issue.

Cheers John
jwill

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion