How to Connect the 3 RCA ROKU to a 2 RCA TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How to Connect the 3 RCA ROKU to a 2 RCA TV

Postby monty95 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:57 am

I travel a lot for work and have started to bring the ROKU with me. the free WIFI in the hotels helps and I have a external USB hard drive to watch movies i want to when I want to. Most hotel TVs where I have been staying are compatible with at least the RCA set up. However,

I started staying at Springhill Suites in OKC and their flat screen TVs have only 2 RCA plugs in the back...1 Video and 1 Audio (Red and Yellow). I've tried every combination to get the 3 RCAs from the ROKU to connect to the 2 RCAs on the TV. The best I can do is get Video only...no sound. The TVs do not have an HDMI port.

Is there an adapter out there to convert the 2 Audio to 1 Audio plug? I'm thinking that's what I need, or is there another solution? Thanks
monty95

Re: How to Connect the 3 RCA ROKU to a 2 RCA TV

Postby socantra » Sun May 20, 2012 9:40 am

Traditionally on RCA jacks, the yellow connector is video, the white left channel or mono audio and red right channel audio. I've never checked the Roku audio to see if the white carries the mono signal, but the yellow is definitely the video connection.

You can pick up an adapter to combine the two audio (white and red) into one at any radio shack for a few bucks.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby monty95 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks for the quick answers. Off on another trip soon and want to get this working. :D
monty95

Postby geekykit » Sun May 20, 2012 7:27 pm

monty95 - I'm using an old TV that also only has 2 RCA inputs. I'm not sure if the jacks on the TV itself are color-coded or not. When I got my Roku I just plugged in the yellow and white ends of the RCA cord and left the red one hanging and my Roku works fine.

Good luck!
geekykit

Postby catastrophegirl » Sun May 20, 2012 8:07 pm

i have an entire cable for mine that converts the stereo roku output to mono input but this little adaptor is what you are looking for i think
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-03177-Y-Cable/dp/B0002J1LE8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337569519&sr=8-2
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Junckboxx » Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 am

If that does not work... you can always use the COAX input on the TV and use a RCA to COAX RF modulator. You find them in Family Dollar stores for $12... in the electronics section.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... JQBEPMCMAE

It automatically will switch from their antenna/cable to your ROKU, whenever it sees the power of the ROKU on. This also works on old TV's, which it was originally intended for... but to hook up DVD players.

If you want to watch your hotel's local cable or TV, unplug the Roku.

It works similar to a "Y Cord" to the Cable hookup (or COAX) on the back of the TV. Simply hook all the 3 wires by color code... hook up to the cable TV input on the back of the TV, plug the power cord in, plug roku into the wall too... watch. Instructions are also on the back of the package.

Might seem weird to do at first, but works flawlessly. You'll get used to how to hook it up. Just make sure channel 3 or 4 is on for the tv set (NOT digital 3.1 or 4.1, analog tuner has no "points" in it).
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
Junckboxx

Postby catastrophegirl » Tue May 22, 2012 7:23 am

Junckboxx wrote:If that does not work... you can always use the COAX input on the TV and use a RCA to COAX RF modulator. You find them in Family Dollar stores for $12... in the electronics section.

i agree with this, i have one to work with a coax only tv, got it on amazon for about $8 and it works just fine
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion