How much does the Roku buffer at a time? *Netflix

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How much does the Roku buffer at a time? *Netflix

Postby EpicOrg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Hello,

I currently use an WII to stream Netflix and it works fine till my internet becomes choppy (peak hours). From what I've read the WII only buffs a little bit (5-10 second?) due to limited RAM were on a normal computer you can buff nearly 2 mins of video. I've searched but can't find how much the RoKu allows you to buffer.

My internet = .75mb (90-95kb/s) *I know it's slow but it works *Streams better then 360 perhaps somewhere around 480
When choppy = 25-95kb's *with a larger buff it should be fine *At lest it'll stop less often

*Thinking about getting the Roku 2 XD *refurbished
EpicOrg

Re: How much does the Roku buffer at a time? *Netflix

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:52 pm

.75 mbs may work but it WAY below what Roku say is required and you will get rebuffers quite often on most channels.

For Netflix you can go into your Netflix account and under Manage video quality set the quality to the lowest one and you might get smoother streaming.

Roku has a buffer that holds just a few seconds (10-30 or so) of video as it does not have much memory.
Gilgamesh

Postby EpicOrg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:03 pm

I know my internet speed is low (it's best I can get here) but it works with the WII so I assume it'll work with the Roku when using Netflix.

Gilgamesh wrote:Roku has a buffer that holds just a few seconds (10-30 or so) of video as it does not have much memory.

Is that with all the Roku models? The XD/XS cost a little more was hoping they had a bit more RAM.
EpicOrg

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Actually, I believe the boxes have memory to buffer a few minuets, not a few seconds. All the models are the same. The extra cost gets you extra features like 1080p, Bluetooth gaming remote, USB etc. Try it if you want, but I wouldn't expect any better performance than you're getting now. 0.75Mbps is just too slow. Netflix slowest stream is 0.5Mbps. Any disruption at all is going to cause a rebuffer.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Arwen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:37 am

kc8pql wrote:... All the models are the same...

No, from what I understand, the top models in each release year have twice the
FLASH & RAM memory than the other models. Specifically the Roku XR, Roku
XDS, (?), and Roku 2 XS.

It's possible that I have that wrong, and it's double the FLASH memory only.

Anyway, there have been times when I have paused a video I was watching,
then when I resumed a few minutes later, it was to fast forward a minute or 2.
The video resumed far too quickly to have fetched the new section of video. So
my conclusion is that it must have fetched that part while it was paused.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby Juanporro » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:13 am

I do not know the answer for the original poster but for netflix I have a better buffer from my apple tv than I do from the Roku. both connected through the same wireless connection and isp.

The roku stops at least twice on every tv show and sometimes up to 6 times on a movie while the apple tv never stops playing. Needless to say I use my apple tv solelyu for netflix and roku for everything else.
Juanporro

Postby Platinumyears » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:15 am

Along this same note, does the number of channels consume memory that could be used to buffer video? And if so, is it significant?
Platinumyears

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:02 am

Platinumyears wrote:Along this same note, does the number of channels consume memory that could be used to buffer video? And if so, is it significant?

As far as I know that memory is separate. Also the SD card that many Rokus can use is only used for storing channels. It is not used for streaming at all.
Gilgamesh

Postby EpicOrg » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Can anyone verify how much the Roku buffers for me?

1.Pause something on Netfilx (wait 2+ mins)
2.kill your internet (if you can't see what's buffed)
3.Play video and see how much it buffed
EpicOrg

Postby dougrb » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Well, these numbers are rough, but should get it in the ballpark. I watched my routers real time traffic graphs while listening to music. I see 250 KB/s for about 15 seconds and then 3-4 minutes of no traffic... rinse and repeat. 250KB x 15 = 3.75 MB.
dougrb

Postby kc8pql » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:45 pm

^ That's roughly the same as I have observed on all my boxes, both R1 and R2, about 3 to 5 minuets of video.
The quote below is from 2008 and refers to the original N1000 "Netflix Streaming Player".
by RokuTaylor » Tue May 20, 2008 8:46 pm
1) There is very little memory on the board. Just enough to buffer a few minutes of video if your bandwidth gets congested temporarily. Just enough flash memory for the software. Instant viewing is done by buffering the minimum video the box thinks it needs to avoid interruption due to variable bit rate encoding.
Edit: The buffer is 64MB. 2-5 minutes of video, depending on the stream.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion