netflix and accounts

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

netflix and accounts

Postby knuckle » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:55 am

Hi roku folk,

I and my daughter both have netflix accounts (two separate accounts as we live at different addresses) and my girl pays my subscription (daddy's girl kind of thing).Now If I want to change anything on my account,I log in with my email etc and if she wishes to add something to her account she does the same -- the only thing shared is the credit card info to pay for the monthly bill BUT and its not all the time but maybe 1 out of 5 I will get her instant queue or recently watched/top picks etc and she will get mine just as if we are watching each others roku's.

any one else seen this? I tried contacting netflix about this and realized quickly that no matter how hard I explained it, the customer service rep had absolutely no idea what I was talking about -- its not a big deal for me but I remember a discussion I had (with Dave Zatz I think)about gifting roku's and netflix subs and I can see where this might get annoying.

Shawn, would it do any good to send it along to our friends over at netflix from a more authoritative source such as your self?
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Netflix and accounts

Postby DBDukes » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:42 am

knuckle wrote:Hi roku folk,

I and my daughter both have netflix accounts (two separate accounts as we live at different addresses) and my girl pays my subscription (daddy's girl kind of thing).Now If I want to change anything on my account,I log in with my email etc and if she wishes to add something to her account she does the same -- the only thing shared is the credit card info to pay for the monthly bill BUT and its not all the time but maybe 1 out of 5 I will get her instant queue or recently watched/top picks etc and she will get mine just as if we are watching each others roku's.

any one else seen this? I tried contacting netflix about this and realized quickly that no matter how hard I explained it, the customer service rep had absolutely no idea what I was talking about -- its not a big deal for me but I remember a discussion I had (with Dave Zatz I think)about gifting roku's and netflix subs and I can see where this might get annoying.

Shawn, would it do any good to send it along to our friends over at netflix from a more authoritative source such as your self?

Hmmm. I was thinking about gifting another Roku and including Netflix as part of the gift. Now, I'm quite interested in seeing how this shakes out. I know Netflix has gifting options, but, as I understand it, it would have to be a situation of her purchasing a month (or other time period) and sending the information to you for you to log in to Netflix and add the credit ... unless she can log in to your Netflix account. And, in my plans, it would have to be the same kind of thing. Again, I'll be watching this closely.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Re: netflix and accounts

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 pm

knuckle wrote:Hi roku folk,

I'll pass this on to QA. Thanks for the report.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: netflix and accounts

Postby arrowrand » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:13 am

I've gifted Netflix subscriptions with a Roku box on a couple of occasions and this hasn't ever happened.

When you gift Netflix to someone, you aren't setting up an account for them and adding your cc# to it, they get a redemption code to either enter into the Netflix account that they create or already have. I've only combined a Roku with Netflix as a gift twice, but I've given a dozen or so people a Netflix gift numerous times over the years. Never, ever has anything like what you described happened to me.
ROKU 1, Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 XD, HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 & Chromecast - 37" LCD
ROKU HD & Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion