A few suggestions...

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

A few suggestions...

Postby mewmew » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 pm

It would be very cool and good if we could block out channels in the Channel Store. I would like to get rid of all the channels I'll never get because I like to be organized. Also, there are a lot of junk channels and it annoys me just to look at them.

Adding a place to hide adult channels would be nice.

I got my Roku a few days ago and I live in Canada. I'm bummed out about not being able to get channels that are FREE in the US. What, do they want us to pay a tax for free channels now? This is just ridiculous. If all you need is permission from the channel developer, then why even give them a choice? Just put it in the disclaimer... I honestly don't think any of the developers will care if they get viewers from outside their country. Why can't we just get all the channels everywhere?
mewmew

Re: A few suggestions...

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:01 pm

It's up to the channel developers to publish "internationally." Roku doesn't have control over that and each channel has it's own reasons for not doing so, whether public or private.

Also as far as I'm aware, there are no "adult" channels in the channel store (if you find one, let me know via PM and I will look into it). All adult channels are private channels which require a special vanity code to input in order to gain access to them.

As we continue to develop the Roku platform, more and more channels will be added to our international customers as well. Remember: when Roku first came into the market, it only played Netflix. There were no other channels. Although I don't know exactly how long it took to add others, I know it didn't happen overnight. Because the Roku is already established, our international customers will see a far quicker line-up than the US ever had. It's just a matter of patience while we negotiate with our partners and contact our 3rd party content providers.

TLDR; it'll come. Just be patient :D

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 pm

Blocking out channels is both unnecessary and unwanted by the majority of users. If you do not want to use a ch then do not add it. If you are worrying about others adding an unwanted ch then add a pin to your account for all ch store actions.

Adult chs, as far as I know, are only available by code entry on your account so no need to hide them.

As far as the chs that are/are not available in different countries it is the content owners that control much of that availability. That is if the content owners allow or don't allow particular countries access that is under their control and Roku has nothing to do with it. As far as individual chs are concerned the developer is responsible for placing them in the various ch stores and if you want a ch and it is not in your ch store then contact the developer and request it.

Roku only provides the platform for display of most chs and the API for development they rarely get involved in the development. Their only real concern is that the developer has the rights to stream the content provided.

Also keep in mind that just because a particular piece of content is available to stream by computer or other device does not mean that same content can be streamed via Roku. Most of the content owners consider a device like Roku to be very different from a computer as far as streaming rights is concerned.

Even chs like NowhereTV have been asked to pull content even though that same content is freely available to stream by computer.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:54 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
As we continue to develop the Roku platform, more and more channels will be added to our international customers as well. Remember: when Roku first came into the market, it only played Netflix. There were no other channels. Although I don't know exactly how long it took to add others, I know it didn't happen overnight.

The channel store went live in late Nov. 2009 with 14 channels. So, about 2 1/2 years to go from three channels (Netflix, Amazon,MLB) before the channel store, to more than 700 public and private today.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby castalla » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Errrr ... quantity versus quality?
castalla

Postby philsoft » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Adult chs, as far as I know, are only available by code entry on your account so no need to hide them.

It sounded to me like it was more of a "I want to have it installed, but I don't want Wifey to know about it".
philsoft

Postby kc8pql » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:02 pm

castalla wrote:Errrr ... quantity versus quality?

Just like your TV manufacturer, Roku doesn't develop the channels. The content, and it's availability, is controlled by the various copyright owners and their licensees who do.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
kc8pql

Postby mewmew » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 pm

IF Roku does plan to add a lot more channels then I think being able to not "delete" but hide channels in the channel store is a great idea. You could stay organized. Kind of like how on Netflix; once you rate something, it no longer shows up on your page.

And obviously the adult channels are all private channels but would it be so hard to give us some place to hide them so the kids don't get into them?

And there is NO good reason why Canada shouldn't be able to watch free channels from the US. Why even give developers that option? Maybe the developers don't even realize that they're excluding Canada and other countries. I'm sure if they were asked they would make their channels available. There isn't even legal reasons, is there? Satellite TV is all over the world, so is the internet, so internet TV should be the same. If their content is illegal in the states it's illegal everywhere else. If it's legal in the states it'll be legal in Canada and other countries where the roku is obtained legally. This is nonsense.
mewmew

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Each channel has the right to regional restrictions. For example, Netflix for the US has many more selections that Netflix for the UK. It's up to the content provider to enable it for your region.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby philsoft » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 pm

mewmew wrote:And there is NO good reason why Canada shouldn't be able to watch free channels from the US. Why even give developers that option? Maybe the developers don't even realize that they're excluding Canada and other countries.

Why do you think it is up to Roku OR the developers? The entities that own the rights to the content are the ones that decide where it can be shown.

ETA: I guess Shawn was a little quicker on the draw than I was this time :)
philsoft

Postby West Ham » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Gilgamesh wrote: unwanted by the majority of users.

How do you know this?
West Ham

Postby kc8pql » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:12 pm

mewmew wrote: There isn't even legal reasons, is there?

Yes there are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
Copyright owners, and no one else, control when, where and how their content can be used.
kc8pql

Postby catastrophegirl » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:38 pm

mewmew wrote:And obviously the adult channels are all private channels but would it be so hard to give us some place to hide them so the kids don't get into them?

those channels are controlled by the content owners also. and one of them HAS done that. there's a private code for a discreet version of videobox. and both their channel with the plain logo "VB" and the fake logo have an option to put in a PIN to unlock the channel from the roku for each and every time the channel is used. so it's completely possible. and i suspect more of the adult channel owners will follow that lead because videobox tells me their subscribership jumped after they added those features.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion