No Color with Composite Video

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

No Color with Composite Video

Postby maria123 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:53 pm

I am trying to set up a Roku XS with my old analog TV (Toshiba CF27H40) using composite video cables. The sound works fine but the picture displayed is black and white. I tried doing a factory reset and changing the display ratio on the Roku with no success. TV displays color with other components (VCR, DVD, etc) using composite video. Tried the Roku on my neighbors newer TV and it displayed color. How can I configure the Roku to display color with my TV?
maria123

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby dgrace » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:09 am

Make certain the colors of the cables are connected to the same on both the TV and Roku otherwise you'll get black and white. Should be simple as that. :D
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:01 am

dgrace wrote:Make certain the colors of the cables are connected to the same on both the TV and Roku otherwise you'll get black and white. Should be simple as that. :D

According to that TV's manual it has no component inputs and the Roku XS has no component output therefore it is impossible to connect the cables to the wrong color terminals and get only a B&W picture. If you connected incorrectly then one of the audio outputs would be plugged into the video input and you would get no picture and the audio would be only on one side and most probably buzzing on the other.

To the OP: Be sure the plug into your Roku is well seated but, other than that, it could be some incompatibility between your Roku and your TV since you said it works on a neighbor's TV.

Since that TV's picture is only SD you might get a modulator and hook your Roku to that and then to the antenna input of the TV. You should be able to get one for $10-$15 at many places.
Gilgamesh

Postby microlady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:02 am

Remember you do not configure the Roku for color. It displays what its connections are set up for.
On composite be sure the yellow video is to video and the audio red (right speaker), white (left speaker or mono) is connected and seated all the way in.

You mention having a vcr and dvd also connected to this TV with composite. My analog TV only has one set of composite inputs so to connect more sources (vcr, dvd), I have a video control box setup so I can switch between 6 inputs to a one TV output. On the switch I have found that pushing the switches in fairly often to use the attached device.......the push in feels a little mushy now and I will get black and white video from the vcr. I have to push in the switch until it seats showing color. You might want to look at and/or describe your composite setup for all 3 devices you mentioned: vcr, dvd, Roku. Maybe a clue is there.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008
microlady

Postby maria123 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:30 am

I do have an automatic RF modulator switch (Philips SWS2104W/27) hooked up to the TV. Even using the RF modulator on the switch, the picture is still displayed in black and white. I have also tried (1) connecting the Roku through an input on the VCR, (2) switching the Roku with another device on the switch that displays color, (3) hooking directly into the TV, and (4) reseating/checking cables numerous times. The picture is always displayed in black and white.
maria123

Postby Mark12547 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:02 am

maria123, a couple of thoughts that haven't been mentioned so far:

1. Are you connecting the Roku directly up to the TV, or are you connecting the Roku to another device (such as a VCR) and using that device's connection to the TV? If you are connecting the Roku to another device, try connecting the Roku directly to the TV. (The Roku uses Macrovision copy protection, which generally means if you feed the signal into a VCR, even though all the VCR is doing is passing the signal on to the TV, the color signals will appear to be missed up, usually appearing on the screen as altering hue adjustments and color intensity changes, making the show almost unwatchable.)

2. Are you seeing a color menu? (The top menu has a purple section on top, at least on my old Roku, and blow it the different "channels" are shown in various colors. If you have the Netflix channel, on the top menu the Netflix channel shows white "NETFLIX" letters on a solid red rectangle.) If you see some color but as soon as you start playing a title you see only black and white, are you sure you are watching a color show? Have you tried several different titles? (Before about mid 1960s most TV shows and most low-budget movies were black-and-white; but even an occasional modern movie will be shot in black-and-white for atmosphere or because monochrome stock can handle low-level lighting better than color stock.) If you see the top menu in color but when you get down to playing a show or movie it is in black-and-white, that would give us a clue of where we might start looking. If it is black-and-white from even the top menu (you can press the "Home" key to get to the top menu), that gives us another clue.
Mark12547

Postby maria123 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 am

Mark12547 wrote:1. Are you connecting the Roku directly up to the TV, or are you connecting the Roku to another device (such as a VCR) and using that device's connection to the TV?

I have tried connecting directly into the TV with no success.

Mark12547 wrote:2. Are you seeing a color menu?

Everything is displayed in black and white (menus and movies). Even the bouncing Roku is in black and white.
maria123

Postby dgrace » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:35 pm

OK, my fault. Read component where it said composite. Not too many ways to get that wrong with Video and left/right audio.
One thing happened to a relative of mine once was she inadvertantly managed to toggle her TV to black and white with her remote. I was testing connections and thought her DVD player had gone bad until I found the menu and changed it back to color.
I assume you're getting color with any other source? :oops:
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Postby maria123 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes, all other devices display color using composite video.
maria123

Postby microlady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, I downloaded your tv manual and see there is only one a/v input so in order to have the vcr, dvd, and now the Roku, you have the RF switcher. I looked at it on Amazon and read the reviews. Some people had no problem. A few people had the problem of getting only Black and White picture using it.

What can be eliminated is the Roku is okay. Proven by the fact you tried it on your neighbor's TV and Roku showed color (being your neighbor's TV, probably safe to say the RF switcher was not involved in the connection there). One review did mention that with the RF unit on auto, it auto switches to the device that has been turned on to show its picture. He also said that since the Roku is on all the time, he changed that switch from auto to manual so the Roku would not claim priority of display all the time.

Back to the RF switcher, you are getting color on a vcr, and a dvd unit. There are 2 other a/v inputs on the switcher. One of these must be where you put the Roku. I do have a setup with switches and did find out that one of my inputs was defective and did not work...so that can happen. But you said you connected the Roku to an input that already had shown color with another device and the Roku did not show color there.

This last thing you tried, my question would be did you unplug the RCA cables from the device that was connected there and connect the Roku using the cable that you know can produce color for sure? Or did you leave the cables the Roku was using on the Roku and tried connecting with the cables you had attached to the Roku previously? What cables did you use when connecting the device to your neighbor's TV? Apparently those cables used did produce color over there.
Somehow, things seem to keep going back to the RF switcher.

When you watch your VCR and when you watch your DVD what do you set the TV on to find those devices? Do you have to watch on Channels 3 or 4 with the RF unit? Do you use your TV remote with anything other than the TV? Can you use your VCR remote and DVD remote when watching those devices?

Unfortunately, sometimes what seems complicated turns out to be something so simple it wasn't thought of. I can't see any reason you can't watch the Roku in color on your TV when your neighbor's TV using the same Roku box produced a color picture. You might try connecting the ROku to the one other switch you aren't using, being there are 4 of them and you are using 3: VCR, DVD, Roku....just in case there is a defective switch on your switcher (as I found on one I had).

That's all I can think of right now. Maybe somewhere in all of this information something will jump out at you?
microlady

Postby maria123 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 pm

My RF modulator/switch works fine. I realize that to use the RF modulator the TV must be on channel 3 or 4. I have tested each input/output on the switch with other devices without any issues. Each time I see the same results: all other devices display color and the Roku is black and white.

microlady wrote:my question would be did you unplug the RCA cables from the device that was connected there and connect the Roku using the cable that you know can produce color for sure? Or did you leave the cables the Roku was using on the Roku and tried connecting with the cables you had attached to the Roku previously?

I can't just switch the Roku cable with a standard composite cable, because the Roku 2 XS uses a special cable that only has a single connection into the back of the Roku.

microlady wrote:What cables did you use when connecting the device to your neighbor's TV?

I used the same Roku composite cable that worked on my neighbor's TV.

microlady wrote:When you watch your VCR and when you watch your DVD what do you set the TV on to find those devices? Do you have to watch on Channels 3 or 4 with the RF unit? Do you use your TV remote with anything other than the TV? Can you use your VCR remote and DVD remote when watching those devices?

Normally, I use the Video mode on my TV which selects the composite video input. I only configured the RF modulator to test the Roku composite signal.

I have tried hooking the Roku directly into the composite input on the TV with no success. :-(

Not sure if I would say that the Roku is OK, since it is the only device that can't produce color on my TV. I believe that there is some difference in the format of the composite signal produced by the Roku vs my other devices.
maria123

Postby __5 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 am

Look like you've tried just about everything, see if this can help,

- Turn off the TV, unplug its power cord, (temporarily) unplug coaxial/antenna adapter and leave the composite cable plugged-in.
- Perform a Factory-reset on roku – but first read these notes (from your OP you’ve tried FR, this step just in case),
    • Use a paper clip to press and hold button on the back of the Roku for at least 30 seconds (if its pressed for less it may only reboot the device).
- Wait like 5 min – then plug back the composite cable to Roku and plug the power cord back to the TV & turn it On (don’t plug back the coaxial before you try it).

Btw, “HDMI to Composite Converters” do exist, not a good suggestion & not for sure, but something to keep in mind.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby maria123 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:55 am

Tried the factory reset again per instructions. The menus are still displayed in black and white via composite.
maria123

Postby __5 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:27 am

^^^
try to unplug power cords from TV & roku overnight.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby microlady » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 am

maria123 wrote:I can't just switch the Roku cable with a standard composite cable, because the Roku 2 XS uses a special cable that only has a single connection into the back of the Roku.

Something doesn't sound right here. The Roku 2XS when using composite uses the standard RCA yellow cable for video and the RCA red and white cables for audio. There is no special cable for the Roku. You should be using " a standard composite cable"...(RCA yellow) into the back of the Roku to get composite picture.

microlady wrote:What cables did you use when connecting the device to your neighbor's TV?

maria123 wrote:I used the same Roku composite cable that worked on my neighbor's TV.

microlady wrote:When you watch your VCR and when you watch your DVD what do you set the TV on to find those devices? Do you have to watch on Channels 3 or 4 with the RF unit? Do you use your TV remote with anything other than the TV? Can you use your VCR remote and DVD remote when watching those devices?

maria123 wrote:Normally, I use the Video mode on my TV which selects the composite video input. I only configured the RF modulator to test the Roku composite signal.

You could try to eliminate the RF right now for a moment and if this works, then see how the RF can be used. Connect the Roku directly to the TV composite inputs, using the RCA cables of yellow for video, red/white for audio. Use the Video mode on your TV which selects the composite video input, and let us know what you see from the Roku.

maria123 wrote:I have tried hooking the Roku directly into the composite input on the TV with no success. :-(

maria123 wrote:Not sure if I would say that the Roku is OK, since it is the only device that can't produce color on my TV. I believe that there is some difference in the format of the composite signal produced by the Roku vs my other devices.

There should be no difference in the format of the composite signal of the Roku vs a VCR or DVD player. They all use the same cables to output composite to your TV.

(I did ask about the remotes you could use cause it sounded like your TV basically uses the TV remote for tv/vcr signal but a dvd and the roku remotes may not be compatible with your TV remote....but I don't think that is the Roku problem right now.)

Try my suggestion above regarding a direct connection to the TV, set up as I suggested. You should get a color composite picture when you do this (it does mean you are bypassing anything to do with the RF switcher right now.) It is important to use the normal composite cables from the Roku back to your TV input.........Yellow for video and the red/white audio ones for sound.
microlady

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion