HBO Go and comcast

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

HBO Go and comcast

Postby JimMadsen » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:39 pm

So the guy in my comcast store today told me that another office was using a roku to access HBO Go in their office. So maybe they now support it. So I come home, load up HBO Go and I am able to get an activation code. So over to hbogo.com/activate..... but the dang webpage won't fully load!!!! :x
And every few min, the roku times out saying I either lost internet connection or HBO Go is unavailable. What gives???????

edit
chatted online with a comcast rep, still no roku and hbogo. guess some staff training is in order.
JimMadsen

Re: HBO Go and comcast

Postby Yankees0315 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Considering that Comcast has a pretty good HBO onDemand section, I am shocked that they would compete against themselves and offer the Roku Go service. I'm on a six-month HBO trial so I'll check it out and see if it works on my end.
Yankees0315

Postby samedia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:44 am

I heard that Comcast is working on allowing HBO GO on Roku.

Does anyone heard about it as well?
samedia

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 am

samedia wrote:I heard that Comcast is working on allowing HBO GO on Roku.

Does anyone heard about it as well?

We all hear stuff all the time. If you heard about it from a reputable source, it's probably true. If you didn't, it may or may not be.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby samedia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Well I heard from Comcast rep. Until before that, Comcast use to say there is currently no support. The change in their response sounds optimistic. I guess they must be working with Roku and HBO Go to make this happen. Maybe we will not know until they email the customer to inform about it.
samedia

Postby JimMadsen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:53 pm

I also heard it from a rep, who im'd another local store who said they had it up and running. So I raced home and tried to install. No luck, and the online tech guy said it is not currently supported.

So I will do the same thing I did when my free HBO trial ran out, I went into the store and asked them to cancel it. I told the nice young lady that there was nothing good to watch on it (and really, there isn't) and I would not wish to pay for it. She responded by asking if I would be interested in keeping it if she gave it to me free for a year. Of course I said no..... LOL yeah right, I agreed quickly.

Hopefully HBO Go and the roku will work together soon, because I will not keep a expensive premium channel if it does not. And maybe still won't....
JimMadsen

Postby powaking » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:11 am

Comcast lets you use the HBO Go iOS app so I don't see why we can't view on the Roku. I'm sure they are working it out, just a matter of time.
powaking

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:35 am

powaking wrote:Comcast lets you use the HBO Go iOS app so I don't see why we can't view on the Roku. I'm sure they are working it out, just a matter of time.

Don't be so sure. Cable companies might not see iOS apps as a threat, but Roku, since it's attached to your TV, is a different beast. Especially if Comcast is trying to sell you another cable box (with a monthly fee) to watch on more TVs.
mikebdoss

Postby radiocolin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:59 pm

powaking wrote:Comcast lets you use the HBO Go iOS app so I don't see why we can't view on the Roku.

Because content providers and cable companies hate you, and feel your TV is a special screen which is different from your phone.
radiocolin

Postby samedia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:58 am

I guess Comcast considers Roku as threat to it's setup box. Secondly they might want to push Streampix service.

The last I heard from their tech was that they are still working on it. Who knows when and if it will ever materialize.
samedia

Postby samedia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Guess Comcast is not going to allow HBO Go on Roku ever :(
samedia

Postby dsc3507 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:29 pm

When you go to hbogo.com/activate it is for the purpose of checking that you are a valid HBO subscriber. This is done through whomever you get your TV service through. Comcast does not block Roku data or ports. The problem is that HBO does not have Comcast as a selection for validation. This is either HBO's decision or HBO's decision under the direction of Comcast. Notice that Direct TV is also not there. I have Comcast Internet but DirectTV for TV. If DirectTV were there I could authorize my HBO account using DirectTV and the Roku would work with my Comcast internet account. I currently access HBOGO via my computer using Comcast Internet but selecting DirectTV as my provider. It checks DirectTV to see if I am a valid HBO subscriber and then I have full access to HBOGO via Comcast Internet.

This is (apparently) either a decision by HBO and/or Comcast to not allow activation on Roku. So is it Comcast telling HBO they don't want Comcast as a Roku selection or is it HBO no allowing Comcast on their selection list for Roku? I see that Xbox360 and Samsung TV both have a Comcast selection so the argument that it is a competition with on demand does not seem to hold water. So who do you really complain to. Comcast is not blocking data but either they or HBO or both are blocking the ability to validate you are an HBO subscriber.
dsc3507

Postby TheEndless » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:37 pm

dsc3507 wrote:This is (apparently) either a decision by HBO and/or Comcast to not allow activation on Roku. So is it Comcast telling HBO they don't want Comcast as a Roku selection or is it HBO no allowing Comcast on their selection list for Roku? I see that Xbox360 and Samsung TV both have a Comcast selection so the argument that it is a competition with on demand does not seem to hold water. So who do you really complain to. Comcast is not blocking data but either they or HBO or both are blocking the ability to validate you are an HBO subscriber.

HBO Go access is determined by your cable/satellite provider. For some reason, both Comcast and DirecTV have chosen not to allow it on the Roku. Whichever is your television programming provider (not your internet provider) is the one responsible, so that's who you need to complain to.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby dsc3507 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:53 am

Yes, I would have to be authorized by DirectTV but the question looms why would DirectTV care about the Roku as the data would always be handled by another source. DirectTV does not handle internet data. That part was spun off to another outfit. Also DirectTV is listed for BOTH the Samsung and Xbox devices. Sure seems like a Roku issue to me. Why would DirectTV allow those but not Roku. Does not make sense. I think there is more to this than meets the eye.
dsc3507

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:04 am

dsc3507 wrote:Yes, I would have to be authorized by DirectTV but the question looms why would DirectTV care about the Roku as the data would always be handled by another source. DirectTV does not handle internet data. That part was spun off to another outfit. Also DirectTV is listed for BOTH the Samsung and Xbox devices. Sure seems like a Roku issue to me. Why would DirectTV allow those but not Roku. Does not make sense. I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

It's absolutely DTV's choice, not Roku's. As far as Roku is concerned, they want EVERYONE to be able to use HBOGo. DTV is probably afraid of someone with a very cheap device (Roku) being able to use a feature that otherwise would require a new DTV Box on every TV. No one's going to buy multiple XBoxes or a new TV just for HBOGo, but they'll pay $50 (one time) instead of a monthly fee from DTV.
mikebdoss

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion