No Color with Composite Video

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby socantra » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:00 am

microlady wrote:
maria123 wrote:I can't just switch the Roku cable with a standard composite cable, because the Roku 2 XS uses a special cable that only has a single connection into the back of the Roku.


Something doesn't sound right here. The Roku 2XS when using composite uses the standard RCA yellow cable for video and the RCA red and white cables for audio. There is no special cable for the Roku. You should be using " a standard composite cable"...(RCA yellow) into the back of the Roku to get composite picture.

We are all trying to help here, but please be sure that the information you are providing is correct There definitely IS a special cable for the Roku2. It has the standard RCA red/white/yellow connectors on the end that goes to the TV and a single proprietary connector on the end that goes to the Roku2.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby microlady » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for spotting the mistake. I was unable to find a picture of the back of the Roku2 XS and had never seen such a special cable (I was thinking of the Roku doing a special component cable on the XDS and didn't know other boxes used a special one for composite.)In fact, now Roku has a special component jack, a special composite jack, other boxes have the regular component jack and regular composite jack. Their guide says the special composite is cause the new box is so small and it saves the space by not putting in the 3 inputs normally used.
So when buying a Roku now, it appears one has to be especially concerned about the inputs, whether proprietary or normal. Checking for a bad cable is more expensive when proprietary.

I did go back and see a picture by downloading the quick start guide for this Roku and see the special cable Maria mentioned.....normal yellow, red, white for the TV and a 3.5mm mini-plug that is indeed special. However, the resulting composite picture should be the same as if the normal RCA plugs were used (like my Roku N1000) so Maria should get color unless the cable itself is bad and when Roku designs special cables....you unfortunately can't just try a cheap spare one to see if a new one is needed. Just put one more item in the picture when trying to figure out a problem.

TO: MARIA
With this correction in mind, my advice to you is still as follows:
(exception noted that the connection to the Roku composite output will be the special roku cable with its 3.5 mini-plug...the TV connection is still the 3 RCA plugs).

You could try to eliminate the RF right now for a moment and if this works, then see how the RF can be used. Connect the Roku directly to the TV composite inputs, using the RCA cables of yellow for video, red/white for audio. Use the Video mode on your TV which selects the composite video input, and let us know what you see from the Roku.

Very curious to see what this produces since this way of bypassing the RF switch, you will be doing what I think you do for your VCR, DVD.... "Using the VIDEO MODE on your TV which selects the composite video input".
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:28 am
Location: Nevada

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby Nocturnal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:52 pm

microlady wrote:I did go back and see a picture by downloading the quick start guide for this Roku and see the special cable Maria mentioned.....normal yellow, red, white for the TV and a 3.5mm mini-plug that is indeed special.

I have had trouble with other devices using those mini-plugs. Sometimes, the plug doesn't get seated properly or something. I would suggest disconnecting/reconnecting it. Try rotating it while plugged in. If none of that helps, try pulling it out ever so slightly.

Keep an eye on the picture as you are making these adjustments, and see if the color ever appears. If it does, then you'll know the plug has not been making a good connection.
Nocturnal
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:51 pm

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby hozedhead » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:55 pm

microlady wrote:TO: MARIA
With this correction in mind, my advice to you is still as follows:
(exception noted that the connection to the Roku composite output will be the special roku cable with its 3.5 mini-plug...the TV connection is still the 3 RCA plugs).

You could try to eliminate the RF right now for a moment and if this works, then see how the RF can be used. Connect the Roku directly to the TV composite inputs, using the RCA cables of yellow for video, red/white for audio. Use the Video mode on your TV which selects the composite video input, and let us know what you see from the Roku.

Very curious to see what this produces since this way of bypassing the RF switch, you will be doing what I think you do for your VCR, DVD.... "Using the VIDEO MODE on your TV which selects the composite video input".


She already tried that.

I do have an automatic RF modulator switch (Philips SWS2104W/27) hooked up to the TV. Even using the RF modulator on the switch, the picture is still displayed in black and white. I have also tried (1) connecting the Roku through an input on the VCR, (2) switching the Roku with another device on the switch that displays color, (3) hooking directly into the TV, and (4) reseating/checking cables numerous times. The picture is always displayed in black and white.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby maria123 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 am

roku5 wrote:try to unplug power cords from TV & roku overnight.


Tried unplugging the power cords still the display is black and white.

Nocturnal wrote:I have had trouble with other devices using those mini-plugs. Sometimes, the plug doesn't get seated properly or something. I would suggest disconnecting/reconnecting it. Try rotating it while plugged in. If none of that helps, try pulling it out ever so slightly.


Also, tried playing with the mini-plug connection. This has no effect on the color of the picture. :-(
maria123
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 am

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby maria123 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:32 am

Just tried connecting the RF modulator into an even older TV (Panasonic CT-10R11S). This much older TV worked perfectly with the Roku using the RF modulator.

There must be some weird incompatibility between the Roku and the Toshiba CF27H40. This is really puzzling to me because all my other devices work perfectly with this TV. I can even use my MacBook Pro with a DVI to composite video connector without any problems. Not sure what is different about the Roku. :?
maria123
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 am

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby microlady » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:05 am

hozedhead wrote:
microlady wrote:TO: MARIA
With this correction in mind, my advice to you is still as follows:
(exception noted that the connection to the Roku composite output will be the special roku cable with its 3.5 mini-plug...the TV connection is still the 3 RCA plugs).

You could try to eliminate the RF right now for a moment and if this works, then see how the RF can be used. Connect the Roku directly to the TV composite inputs, using the RCA cables of yellow for video, red/white for audio. Use the Video mode on your TV which selects the composite video input, and let us know what you see from the Roku.

Very curious to see what this produces since this way of bypassing the RF switch, you will be doing what I think you do for your VCR, DVD.... "Using the VIDEO MODE on your TV which selects the composite video input".


She already tried that.



I do have an automatic RF modulator switch (Philips SWS2104W/27) hooked up to the TV. Even using the RF modulator on the switch, the picture is still displayed in black and white. I have also tried (1) connecting the Roku through an input on the VCR, (2) switching the Roku with another device on the switch that displays color, (3) hooking directly into the TV, and (4) reseating/checking cables numerous times. The picture is always displayed in black and white.


She didn't say she set it up and chose VIDEO MODE like for the other units. (Didn't know we have to explain suggestions :| ). Just wanted her to concentrate on not using the RF switch.

By the way, I must have missed it.......Where was YOUR suggestion to help this user? :?
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:28 am
Location: Nevada

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby microlady » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:27 am

maria123 wrote:Just tried connecting the RF modulator into an even older TV (Panasonic CT-10R11S). This much older TV worked perfectly with the Roku using the RF modulator.

There must be some weird incompatibility between the Roku and the Toshiba CF27H40. This is really puzzling to me because all my other devices work perfectly with this TV. I can even use my MacBook Pro with a DVI to composite video connector without any problems. Not sure what is different about the Roku. :?



It really begins to look as if it is a TV incompatibility with the Roku 2XS. You do get a picture except it is black and white only...if there was a way to solve this one thing you would be okay.
It is possible the fact that Roku chose to use a special plug on one end of the composite signal..the plug that actually would be sending the Roku picture out to your TV...this unusual use of composite must not work well with the Toshiba TV. Instead of each RCA plug simply transmitting its signal on its own (video to video, audio to audio), one end of the connection is taking video and audio and separating them into the 3 plugs that actually go to the TV. The Toshiba is receiving audio and black and white video it seems.

This Roku I see also has an HDMI output that apparently has no "special" plug. Maybe there is a cable that has HDMI on one end and can convert that to the composite signals on the TV end.
I think I saw your TV does not have an HDMI input. I know people usually don't want to down convert HDMI but I wonder if there is such an item.

I have Toshiba DVD Recorders and do like the brand. Never like to give up on a problem so I will see if I can think of anything that might help. There are some very knowledgeable members here who have helped me in the past and I hope they check in here and see if they can think of a solution for you. Sorry for the problem. :(

For right now, it does seems as you have said....this particular TV and the Roku special plug have a problem getting color through to the TV. Maybe others here have other ideas to try.
I will look into the HDMI situation and see if there is something that can be done.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:28 am
Location: Nevada

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby Buckeye911 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 pm

microlady wrote:
maria123 wrote:Just tried connecting the RF modulator into an even older TV (Panasonic CT-10R11S). This much older TV worked perfectly with the Roku using the RF modulator.

There must be some weird incompatibility between the Roku and the Toshiba CF27H40. This is really puzzling to me because all my other devices work perfectly with this TV. I can even use my MacBook Pro with a DVI to composite video connector without any problems. Not sure what is different about the Roku. :?



It really begins to look as if it is a TV incompatibility with the Roku 2XS. You do get a picture except it is black and white only...if there was a way to solve this one thing you would be okay.
It is possible the fact that Roku chose to use a special plug on one end of the composite signal..the plug that actually would be sending the Roku picture out to your TV...this unusual use of composite must not work well with the Toshiba TV. Instead of each RCA plug simply transmitting its signal on its own (video to video, audio to audio), one end of the connection is taking video and audio and separating them into the 3 plugs that actually go to the TV. The Toshiba is receiving audio and black and white video it seems.

This Roku I see also has an HDMI output that apparently has no "special" plug. Maybe there is a cable that has HDMI on one end and can convert that to the composite signals on the TV end.
I think I saw your TV does not have an HDMI input. I know people usually don't want to down convert HDMI but I wonder if there is such an item.

I have Toshiba DVD Recorders and do like the brand. Never like to give up on a problem so I will see if I can think of anything that might help. There are some very knowledgeable members here who have helped me in the past and I hope they check in here and see if they can think of a solution for you. Sorry for the problem. :(

For right now, it does seems as you have said....this particular TV and the Roku special plug have a problem getting color through to the TV. Maybe others here have other ideas to try.
I will look into the HDMI situation and see if there is something that can be done.

There are effective adapters like the one I have linked but for what they cost it may not be worth it. http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-video ... te+adapter

There are cheap cables that convert hdmi to composite as well but in many cases they don't work very well. They're okay for still images and audio but often problematic for video.
Buckeye911
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby microlady » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Buckeye911 wrote:
microlady wrote:
maria123 wrote:Just tried connecting the RF modulator into an even older TV (Panasonic CT-10R11S). This much older TV worked perfectly with the Roku using the RF modulator.

There must be some weird incompatibility between the Roku and the Toshiba CF27H40. This is really puzzling to me because all my other devices work perfectly with this TV. I can even use my MacBook Pro with a DVI to composite video connector without any problems. Not sure what is different about the Roku. :?



It really begins to look as if it is a TV incompatibility with the Roku 2XS. You do get a picture except it is black and white only...if there was a way to solve this one thing you would be okay.
It is possible the fact that Roku chose to use a special plug on one end of the composite signal..the plug that actually would be sending the Roku picture out to your TV...this unusual use of composite must not work well with the Toshiba TV. Instead of each RCA plug simply transmitting its signal on its own (video to video, audio to audio), one end of the connection is taking video and audio and separating them into the 3 plugs that actually go to the TV. The Toshiba is receiving audio and black and white video it seems.

This Roku I see also has an HDMI output that apparently has no "special" plug. Maybe there is a cable that has HDMI on one end and can convert that to the composite signals on the TV end.
I think I saw your TV does not have an HDMI input. I know people usually don't want to down convert HDMI but I wonder if there is such an item.

I have Toshiba DVD Recorders and do like the brand. Never like to give up on a problem so I will see if I can think of anything that might help. There are some very knowledgeable members here who have helped me in the past and I hope they check in here and see if they can think of a solution for you. Sorry for the problem. :(

For right now, it does seems as you have said....this particular TV and the Roku special plug have a problem getting color through to the TV. Maybe others here have other ideas to try.
I will look into the HDMI situation and see if there is something that can be done.

There are effective adapters like the one I have linked but for what they cost it may not be worth it. http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-video ... te+adapter

There are cheap cables that convert hdmi to composite as well but in many cases they don't work very well. They're okay for still images and audio but often problematic for video.



I have been all over the Internet looking for items and also did spot this and also agree that for what they cost...it may not be worth it.

Maria: Take a look at the above link and see what you think of it.

By the way, I looked up the 4 new Roku boxes that are available now. I see that 3 of them:
the Roku LT, the Roku2 XD, the Roku2 XS all have the special 3.5mm plug needed to use their composite signal. I did see that the RokuHD (3000X) is the only 1 of the 4 where the back photo shows normal RCA composite plugs, and also the picture in the quickstart guide shows this cable is included. I'm not sure what this sells for now but if you can't find any other way to get your color and you really like the Roku and the Toshiba TV, you might consider getting this particular one...if for any reason it doesn't work right...you can return it for a refund. If it gets you color then you can keep the Roku2XS as a backup.

I have read lots of reviews on Google today and see that some Toshiba TVs have no problem with the RF unit and/or Roku and some do....someone suggested there should be some place that publishes compatible TVS. But I still haven't given up trying to find a solution for you, using the equipment you already have.

In your TV manual, it says if no color or poor color, to see about adjusting TINT and COLOR in the Picture Menu. Also, I assume you are not using the ROku HDMI port at all.

I know you are trying everything you possibly can ...I did have one thought right now...that I don't think has been tried...unplug all the RCA connections to the RF..so you can set the input source to TV or VIDEO and the VIDEO choice will only have the Roku connected. In each A/V input, connect the Roku, choose VIDEO as your selection, and be sure the side of your remote control is set to the VCR choice (but the Roku should be here) and see if with nothing else being connected...if the Roku shows color video in any input..when it is the only thing in the RF to chose from. Sometimes I have seen when there is a conflict on a TV channel that strange things can happen to the picture. So if there is only one item being accessed, it will at least eliminate the question of whether as a solo item, the Roku will do the video the way it should be. I know you have tried the Roku in a slot where you got color from something else but this suggestion is trying it in each slot without anything else having any priority conflict even if it is the smallest conflict.

Maybe sometimes something that doesn't seem to make sense...works. We can only hope there is that result somewhere in all this. I really enjoy my Roku and it does totally frustrate me when I see someone having a problem preventing them from also enjoying it. As long as you are willing to try things, you may get other suggestions here and I haven't given up. :)
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:28 am
Location: Nevada

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby maria123 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 am

I do appreciate the help from everyone. I realize that troubleshooting over a forum isn't the easiest task.

Buckeye911 wrote: There are effective adapters like the one I have linked but for what they cost it may not be worth it. http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-video ... te+adapter


Thanks for the suggestion on the converter. Not sure I want to put more money into a 15 year old TV.

microlady wrote:In your TV manual, it says if no color or poor color, to see about adjusting TINT and COLOR in the Picture Menu. Also, I assume you are not using the ROku HDMI port at all.


Yes, I have played with the color/tint adjustments. It only changes the intensity of the black and white picture. :-(

microlady wrote:I know you are trying everything you possibly can ...I did have one thought right now...that I don't think has been tried...unplug all the RCA connections to the RF..so you can set the input source to TV or VIDEO and the VIDEO choice will only have the Roku connected. In each A/V input, connect the Roku, choose VIDEO as your selection, and be sure the side of your remote control is set to the VCR choice (but the Roku should be here) and see if with nothing else being connected...if the Roku shows color video in any input..when it is the only thing in the RF to chose from. Sometimes I have seen when there is a conflict on a TV channel that strange things can happen to the picture. So if there is only one item being accessed, it will at least eliminate the question of whether as a solo item, the Roku will do the video the way it should be. I know you have tried the Roku in a slot where you got color from something else but this suggestion is trying it in each slot without anything else having any priority conflict even if it is the smallest conflict.


Tried this method using both the Video (composite) and TV (RF/coaxial - channel 3) inputs on the TV. Still only seeing a black and white picture. :-(

microlady wrote:Maybe sometimes something that doesn't seem to make sense...works. We can only hope there is that result somewhere in all this. I really enjoy my Roku and it does totally frustrate me when I see someone having a problem preventing them from also enjoying it. As long as you are willing to try things, you may get other suggestions here and I haven't given up.


Trust me I understand your frustration. I spent many hours myself trying to solve this issue with no success. It seems like there should be a simple solution.

I don't know the specs for video protocols. Is there more than one format for the composite video?

Thanks again for your help.
maria123
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 am

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby jimgo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:35 am

I have exact the same problem with an lg tv, the roku shows color with a sony tv, but only black and white on lg tv
It's really frustrating, my wii, dvd works ok in color on lg tv, only roku fails.
I already did a review on amazon mentioning this problem
jimgo
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:30 am

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby microlady » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:11 am

I don't know if there is more than one composite video format...I wouldn't think so. But when Roku created that special cable for your Roku box, I don't know how they wired it inside. When you say your DVD and your VCR uses composite (regular composite cables) and you get color with them..the only difference I see is the 3.5mm miniplug created by Roku for Roku. Obviously it would not be something they would try on a lot of different TV set brands..would take up too much time. That's why I wonder what your TV would do with a Roku box that used the normal set of composite plugs.

I do have the original Roku box (N1000) and all connections have been fine...it is connected to a Video Control Switcher that can output to 2 TVs. One is our 1995 RCA CRT TV in a cabinet that on the top of...we have a Viewsonic HDTV...where we watch movies or sports with the wider screen.
I use the Composite Signal for the Roku as well as a DVD Player and a VCR. In the other room, I have a LG TV that does not connect to the Roku...so I was interested to read the last poster, Jimgo, that his LG brand did not do color with the Roku. I am curious as to which Roku box he does have and would like to read what he said about this in his Amazon review...if he could say what product his review is in...Roku or LG or?

Sometimes the more information that surfaces can lead to the one item we are looking for to get a solution. And maybe another member here can give an opinion on the composite format and if the Roku proprietary cable could be a problem. Also if anyone here is reading this topic and has a Toshiba TV and the Roku2 XS....do they have a color problem also?
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:28 am
Location: Nevada

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:52 am

I very much doubt that the cable could be the problem. From everything that has been reported here the only thing the cable could do is to attenuate the signal to the point where the color burst signal is too low to trigger the color to turn on in the TV. However that is not very likely unless the TV is near failure.

It is possible that the Roku is not producing a sufficient signal but, since the Roku works with several other TVs it is unlikely that is the case. If that were a problem there would, probably, be color cut outs on the working TVs.

However,since the Roku has been tested through a modulator then the Roku's color burst signal is replaced by one generated by the modulator and it is not too likely that the TV and the modulator both are failing in the same way.

The above seemingly contradictory statements actually point to a Roku that is not quite up to spec in the way it is generating color.

So, assuming that all the statements made reflect exactly what has happened and assuming that the tests made have been made as stated then it is reasonable to believe that the Roku is defective and, if still under warranty, the Roku should be replaced.
Gilgamesh
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: No Color with Composite Video

Postby maria123 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:53 am

Gilgamesh wrote:So, assuming that all the statements made reflect exactly what has happened and assuming that the tests made have been made as stated then it is reasonable to believe that the Roku is defective and, if still under warranty, the Roku should be replaced.


That is what customer support thought too. Let me provide some more background information on my troubleshooting.

In the past, I had a similar problem with my HD camcorder, because it uses the same output port with different cables for component and composite video. With my camcorder, once the correct output signal format was selected the picture was displayed in color. Thought that this might be the issue with the Roku too.

Contacted customer support to see if they had a solution for this issue. They first thought that the cable was defective, so they sent a new cable which still produced the same black and white picture. Since the new cable didn't solve the problem, they sent me another Roku 2 XS. The replacement Roku produces a black and white picture too. In all, I have tested two Roku 2 XS and three composite cables with the same results (black and white picture).
maria123
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 am

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ACraigo, liza73 and 24 guests