Mummy Box

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Mummy Box

Postby Junckboxx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Tensen....

You've done it again! 3 and 3E from Ireland! Good Show Chap!

Wonder how long it will take for these to show up on Chris' NowhereTV channel.... Maybe tomorrow? Ahhh, but nobody's in completion.
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
Junckboxx

Postby Junckboxx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:58 pm

castalla wrote:
but the evidence speaks for itself.

What evidence? What competition? ... this is a nonsensical discussion.

Note that both MB and NWTV are both not receiving Brit and Irish feeds, with exception to SKY News. Is that evidence enough for you? Is it now making sense? Nobody wins when things are copied... including the consumer/public. No matter what side you are on.
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
Junckboxx

Postby jmat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Nowhere Man has had RTE news for months and earlier today the feed was still working this morning. The RTE news feed for Mummy Box was not working. The feeds for this channel must be from different sources. Having duplicate channels is an advantage. :D
jmat

Postby castalla » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:01 pm

What confuses me is the that there is no detailed info on what streams actually work on Roku.

Recently, some Filmon streams were added to MB - there are a whole raft of Filmon streams, but seemingly only some get added/work. If there were some info on what works, then enthusiasts might be able to search out and help keep the stream choice up-to-date.
castalla

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:04 pm

castalla wrote:What confuses me is the that there is no detailed info on what streams actually work on Roku.
Sure there is. Download the SDK.
http://www.roku.com/developer
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby castalla » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Errr ... I'm not a programming geek, but I have lots of access to live tv stream addresses. So, why not just specify what is required and maybe I and others can monitor for suitable stream data?
castalla

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:22 pm

castalla wrote:Errr ... I'm not a programming geek...

OK, how 'bout this:
For video, we recommend H.264 video with AAC-LC audio wrapped in a MP4 container. Roku also supports the VC-1 video codec, and the WMA and MP3 audio codecs. Roku supports the HTTP Live Streaming protocol (HLS)

castalla wrote:I have lots of access to live tv stream addresses.

Most of these will be Flash, which Roku doesn't support.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby castalla » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:34 pm

I have a big list of filmon streams - both hi and lo quality. they are all in the rtmp/rtsp format.

For example: rtmp://live5.gv.edge.filmon.com:1935/live/2.high.stream

There are specific filmon iphone/ipad streams but I can't access them. Somebody must be able to track them down!
castalla

Postby Junckboxx » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:02 pm

jmat wrote:Having duplicate channels is an advantage. :D

As stated, I totally disagree. Seems that duplicating might have some advantage on knowing what app (channel) is having issues. However, if copying the same source, as what appears to have happened, made everyone lose channels that they love and watch. These channels may not have been on long, but clearly are missed already. If that were not the case, I wouldn't see various notes in the forums about them being gone.

It's not copying to THINK AHEAD and USE DIFFERING SOURCES, so that when channels get pulled, whether from the cable or satellite operator/content provider and then the encoder to the internet, the viewers/Roku consumers do not get ditched in the process. Tensen so far has the right idea, just not employed enough, by the ".1's" and the ".2's" he uses. It also might help for each app (channel) to use their own separate pool of streams/sources.

However, one must be careful. Reason being for this, FilmOn's legality battles, which made it change. If FilmOn has legal issues and must pull a channel, a secondary and potentially a tertiary stream/source may be gone. And if it's the only source that works, it will be lost. We also must not forget about cease and desist (C&D) issues causing loss of channels too.

By repeating FilmOn, MB may be taking a step in the wrong direction, if repeating is not permitted in the written form. Therefore, MB must be very careful. Same for any other sources that can be identified as retransmitted or repeated easily (by a watermarked bug/logo). Even though they are online and originated by another source. It's similar to the RIAA and users downloading MP3's and AVI's. They get fines for accessing, not just giving access to them. My suggestion: don't use watermarked channels to link to, to avoid this issue. I don't want the last of the BBC's to be gone forever.

Google "Richard O'Dwye" for info on this. Great example of the last part. Being extradited to the US for a potential prison sentence for linking TV and Movies on a site.

Be careful tensen!
Junckboxx

Postby jmat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:16 pm

"Junkboxx wrote:
By repeating FilmOn, MB may be taking a step in the wrong direction, if repeating is not permitted in the written form.

Sorry I'm a newbie to this forum. I understand what your are saying with duplicates from the same source. My point was that having dup's from different sources is good to have a backup in case the original source is pulled. A question though. I'm trying to understand what international sources can and can't be accessed if one lives outside the geographical area of origin. When I go onto BBC, ITV and other British sites online I'm informed I can't access it because I am outside the area. The only exception I have found to this again is RTE which I have watched several programs besides their news. ( I don't know if RTE doesn't block access because it states it's player is in Beta form.) Are there ever streams from Britain that do have permission to rebroadcast? I've been tempted to tell family and friends to buy Roku's so that they can watch these channels, but if the streams come and go so frequently I don't think the private channels should be a determining factor in purchasing a Roku. Also, I I have read that BBC has a global player and will eventually be releasing it in the US? Does anyone know if this is still going to happen.
jmat

Postby tensen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:10 pm

castalla wrote:Errr ... I'm not a programming geek, but I have lots of access to live tv stream addresses. So, why not just specify what is required and maybe I and others can monitor for suitable stream data?

The simple answer is that if you are looking for it and don't know anything about searching for a different form of then stream, then the only thing you can help looking for is a iphone compatible .m3u8 link. Roku2's can also make use of .isml files (a specific form of Microsoft Silverlight, but most sites using Silverlight are still using formats that are incompatible with the Roku.)

RTE News Now is streamed via their website. The other channels from rte.ie are region locked due to their programming restrictions. RTE does have an iphone app.
tensen

Postby tensen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 am

Once again, MB does not repeat or rebroadcast any signal. MB itself isn't touching the signal. You are connecting directly to the signal/stream.

End of discussion.

Remember that discussions of a means to bypass or circumvent establish regional broadcast rules is expressly forbidden on the Roku forums, so please lets not get into discussions or arguments regarding anything not coming directly from the station source on these forums.

For those interested in finding more streams for the channel, I of course prefer the stream to come directly from one of the many tv stations that are sending their signal freely out on the internet. Obviously many of them are not in formats that the Roku can play, but the more that it can play, the merrier.
tensen

Postby steamer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:52 pm

would it be possible to add a CBC channel with a feed from somewhere other than Calgary?
the provinces/people can be quite different in their attitudes/politics ...
and i would much rather watch news and commercials from Winnipeg or Vancouver or
even Toronto than those from Calgary [Canuck Texas]. ;)
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.3 b3063
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby Scott Wally » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:06 am

I'll take ANY CBC network channel that works most of the time :D

Neither Mummybox or NowhereTV CBC channels are currently working. Any other ideas/channels out there for CBC network feed?

Thanks!

SW
Scott Wally

Postby steamer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 pm

tensen wrote:Once again, MB does not repeat or rebroadcast any signal. MB itself isn't touching the signal. You are connecting directly to the signal/stream.

End of discussion.

Remember that discussions of a means to bypass or circumvent establish regional broadcast rules is expressly forbidden on the Roku forums, so please lets not get into discussions or arguments regarding anything not coming directly from the station source on these forums.

For those interested in finding more streams for the channel, I of course prefer the stream to come directly from one of the many tv stations that are sending their signal freely out on the internet. Obviously many of them are not in formats that the Roku can play, but the more that it can play, the merrier.

whats the best way to go about finding those feeds?
i've visited many local tv channels and they often have streams ...
and i can take the address and use Nowhereman's app to determine if Roku can use them
but i rarely find one that will work that is not already on MB or Nowhere.
even at the Wisconsin Public channel ...
which is on both MB and Nowhere ...
i can't seem to find the address of the feed/stream that works.
so i'm just asking ...
what do we look for, where do we look?
if we knew ...
perhaps you'd have an army of us out looking and finding channels for you. ;)
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.3 b3063
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion