How to Watch NFL games on Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How to Watch NFL games on Roku?

Postby gathering1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:38 pm

My husband and I are considering switching from cable to Roku, but he is concerned he won't be able to watch NFL games. How do you watch NFL games on Roku? If possible, can they be viewed in HD?

Thanx.
gathering1

Re: How to Watch NFL games on Roku?

Postby lingpanda » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 pm

You can't.
lingpanda

Postby DBDukes » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 pm

gathering1 wrote:My husband and I are considering switching from cable to Roku, but he is concerned he won't be able to watch NFL games. How do you watch NFL games on Roku? If possible, can they be viewed in HD?

Thanx.

His concern is valid. The NFL does not offer regular season games online via any set-top box.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby scyber » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:56 pm

DBDukes wrote:
gathering1 wrote:My husband and I are considering switching from cable to Roku, but he is concerned he won't be able to watch NFL games. How do you watch NFL games on Roku? If possible, can they be viewed in HD?

Thanx.

His concern is valid. The NFL does not offer regular season games online via any set-top box.

DTV offered an online only subscription to Sunday Ticket the last year that was viewable on the PS3. It was expensive (~$350 IIRC), but it was available.
scyber

Postby mommom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:19 pm

The addition of an OTA antenna will get most games.Thats what we do.
mommom

Postby Buckeye911 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:55 pm

You can watch the ESPN games via the private channel USTVnow but it isn't free. You get the first three months for $20/month and $30 each month thereafter for the major network channels and 25 or so major cable channels. They are all in SD, if you want to step up to HD the package has a lot more channels but is more expensive than most packages you would get with your local cable company. This channel is primarily for American citizens living outside the USA but it works here as well.
Buckeye911

Postby snarler » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:43 pm

For about 40 bucks a season you can buy NFL Rewind and watch the games after they are over on your PC. I don't know if there are alternative ways to watch that particular service.
snarler

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Buckeye911 wrote:You can watch the ESPN games via the private channel USTVnow but it isn't free. You get the first three months for $20/month and $30 each month thereafter for the major network channels and 25 or so major cable channels. They are all in SD, if you want to step up to HD the package has a lot more channels but is more expensive than most packages you would get with your local cable company. This channel is primarily for American citizens living outside the USA but it works here as well.

It most certainly doesn't work for everyone in all places, and it's specifically NOT for US residents in the US, for a variety of legal reasons. Also, the service is of questionable quality.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Buckeye911 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:57 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Buckeye911 wrote:You can watch the ESPN games via the private channel USTVnow but it isn't free. You get the first three months for $20/month and $30 each month thereafter for the major network channels and 25 or so major cable channels. They are all in SD, if you want to step up to HD the package has a lot more channels but is more expensive than most packages you would get with your local cable company. This channel is primarily for American citizens living outside the USA but it works here as well.

It most certainly doesn't work for everyone in all places, and it's specifically NOT for US residents in the US, for a variety of legal reasons. Also, the service is of questionable quality.

Actually, the quality has improved significantly since they cut off access of the free version to all devices except the computer and then only on the low resolution setting. I was using the service in Japan and Thailand and I liked it so I kept it when I returned to the USA.
Buckeye911

Postby JimDandySTX » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:05 am

USTVNOW works much better now that most of the free users are gone.

The lowest cost paid package is $24.95 for 20 or so channels. For that price you will get what ever NFL games the big four networks broadcast in the Harrisburg PA area.
JimDandySTX

Postby socantra » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:19 am

JimDandySTX wrote:The lowest cost paid package is $24.95 for 20 or so channels. For that price you will get what ever NFL games the big four networks broadcast in the Harrisburg PA area.

Or, for the bulk of households in this country (not all), an indoor or outdoor OTA antenna will get you the same network's games geared to your area in HD for free......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television

http://www.nfl.com/schedules

http://www.tvfool.com/
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby cwniles » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:26 pm

one thing to bear in mind regarding OTA is the NFL's policy regarding blacking out games in the local market if ticket sales do not meet a pre-determined level.

the policy is not as strict as it used to be, requiring only 85% of tickets be sold to avoid the local blackout as opposed to it used to having to be sold out....but still, if your intent is to watch your local NFL team OTA and they have a tendency to not sell out, well, you may miss a few games.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion