2 roku in home

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

2 roku in home

Postby bo_hunter50 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:46 am

can I run more than 1 roku in home ?
bo_hunter50

Re: 2 roku in home

Postby dwanthny » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:01 am

bo_hunter50 wrote:can I run more than 1 roku in home ?

Yes.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:08 am

Sure. There are people with 6 or more and they work fine as long as there is enough bandwidth for whatever numbers of Rokus that are to be streaming at the same time.

Be aware that, except for the Bluetooth remote, all Rokus are controlled by all Roku remotes. So if the Rokus are set where they see the signal from each others remotes then they will both be controlled by whichever remote is in use. Roku IR remotes do not have multiple channels or modes.

The Bluetooth remotes are paired to the individual Rokus so you can have the Rokus close together and there can be, I believe, more than one remote paired to a single Roku to allow multiple player games.
Gilgamesh

Postby bo_hunter50 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:15 am

thanks you have a nice day.
bo_hunter50

Postby steve_l » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 am

I don't know about the new roku 2s, but the older rokus each model has different amount of memory, which means different maximum number of channels. Because of this, if have different models, you do not want to link each to same roku account. If you link each to same account, it will keep your channels sync'd between both units. But, with older models this becomes an issue if you have different model #s due to memory sizes differing. This may be a moot point on the newer roku 2s, dunno.
steve_l

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:38 am

steve_l wrote:I don't know about the new roku 2s, but the older rokus each model has different amount of memory, which means different maximum number of channels. Because of this, if have different models, you do not want to link each to same roku account. If you link each to same account, it will keep your channels sync'd between both units. But, with older models this becomes an issue if you have different model #s due to memory sizes differing. This may be a moot point on the newer roku 2s, dunno.

It's also a moot point if you have fewer than about 30 channels.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby steve_l » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:48 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
steve_l wrote:I don't know about the new roku 2s, but the older rokus each model has different amount of memory, which means different maximum number of channels. Because of this, if have different models, you do not want to link each to same roku account. If you link each to same account, it will keep your channels sync'd between both units. But, with older models this becomes an issue if you have different model #s due to memory sizes differing. This may be a moot point on the newer roku 2s, dunno.

It's also a moot point if you have fewer than about 30 channels.

That wasn't the case with my Roku XD. It was "full" after 17 channels.
steve_l

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:07 pm

steve_l wrote:...
That wasn't the case with my Roku XD. It was "full" after 17 channels.

The actual number of channels that can be installed is as dependent on which chs are installed as it is on the actual number of chs.

Some chs, like Hulu Plus, are HUGE and take up a lot of space while others are small and do not use much space. The actual number of chs that can be installed on a Roku 1 is dependent on the actual chs involved.

On the R2s there is no practical limit but more than 30 or so is pretty unmanageable for most folks.
Gilgamesh

Postby steamer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:23 pm

anybody got any accurate numbers on how much memory specific channels require?
how much memory Roku 1 has for such things?
how much memory Roku 2 has for such things?

seeing as i do run a Roku 1 on the same account ...
i hadn't thought about it ever being a limitation.
might have to now that i have a Roku 2 as well.

anyway ... good question/observation from steve_l ...
one i hadn't thought about before.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby joed32 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Sure. There are people with 6 or more and they work fine as long as there is enough bandwidth for whatever numbers of Rokus that are to be streaming at the same time.

Be aware that, except for the Bluetooth remote, all Rokus are controlled by all Roku remotes. So if the Rokus are set where they see the signal from each others remotes then they will both be controlled by whichever remote is in use. Roku IR remotes do not have multiple channels or modes.

The Bluetooth remotes are paired to the individual Rokus so you can have the Rokus close together and there can be, I believe, more than one remote paired to a single Roku to allow multiple player games.

I'm using 3 Roku 2XS in my den on 3 different TVs and all of the remotes "married" themselves to their individual units and don't have any effects on the others. That was a very pleasant surprise when I bought my second one.
joed32

Postby dwanthny » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:On the R2s there is no practical limit but more than 30 or so is pretty unmanageable for most folks.

Just speaking for myself, but I find the assumption that more than 30 channels as being unmanageable for most folks to a ridiculously low number. I currently have 125 channels loaded and have them grouped in easily recognizable groups. True, I would prefer a grid style option like My Channels (which I use too) a the default, but grouping the channels by type make it easy enough to find what I'm looking for.

The biggest problem is managing the groups on each Roku. It would be nice if I could have one Roku be master and have its configuration of channels passed seamlessly to the others, but this isn't currently an option.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:40 pm

dwanthny wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:On the R2s there is no practical limit but more than 30 or so is pretty unmanageable for most folks.

Just speaking for myself, but I find the assumption that more than 30 channels as being unmanageable for most folks to a ridiculously low number. I currently have 125 channels loaded and have them grouped in easily recognizable groups. True, I would prefer a grid style option like My Channels (which I use too) a the default, but grouping the channels by type make it easy enough to find what I'm looking for.

The biggest problem is managing the groups on each Roku. It would be nice if I could have one Roku be master and have its configuration of channels passed seamlessly to the others, but this isn't currently an option.

On the other side of things, I have 35 or so channels installed, and I use the same 6 (Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon, Radio Paradise. MLB.tv and HBOGo) 95% of the time. I have channels (probably 20 of them) that I haven't used in more than six months. I would imagine that my experience is much closer to "average" for the majority of users.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Junckboxx » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00 am

Am I wrong by having read that an optional MiniSD card is to make more room for additional channels.
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
Junckboxx

Postby RokuMarkn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:09 am

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby tensen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 am

dwanthny wrote:

Aye, I have about 90 channels loaded. It is all a matter of grouping them so you know where things are to click on quickly.
tensen

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion