Vizio Costar

This is the place to discuss items not related to your Roku Streaming Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Vizio Costar

Postby mommom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:43 am

Any thoughts on this? Its available for preorder today.I know some sites block Googletv. http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview http://hardwarelust.com/stream-video-ga ... tar-46026/
mommom

Re: Vizio Costar

Postby castalla » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:58 am

Looks very interesting from the specs .... a browser and dlna access!
castalla

Postby mommom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:14 pm

I wonder how they can sell it $99.
mommom

Postby castalla » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:20 pm

The bits probably cost less that 20 dollars!

The Raspberry Pi PC costs 25 dollars retail!
castalla

Postby max mike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:01 pm

It is based on GoogleTV
max mike

Postby bullardc » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Yes it's based on Google TV, and there aren't that many apps available right now. I have a google tv device and barely use it. The browser is nice, but you can't access anything with it as far as video content goes. You're still better off using your roku.
bullardc

Postby castalla » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:38 pm

As far as I am aware - the usefulness of this system will depend heavily on the browser - if it actually works it should give access to BBC iPlayer, Filmon, Hulu, etc. I have all these on my Android tablet and they all work reasonably well.

Not sure how user friendly the keyboard remote will actually be in real-life. I have a similar setup using a mini wifi keyboard and a win7-based htpc. It works but is fiddly to use compared with the simple Roku remote. The browser interface is awkward to use on a TV.

The key is flexibility ... the Roku is flexible up to a point - especially for live streams but depends on app developers keeping their material up to date and working, eg. Nowhere TV and Mummybox. The htpc (which is essentially what the Vizio is) will depend on the apps available and the Chrome browser - this places higher demands on the end-user.

The basic codec support - Flash, audio codecs such as aac and wma, far exceed what's available on the Roku. For example, compare Tunein on Roku versus Android - no argument!

The DNLA feature which is claimed for the Vizio opens up a whole new area which is currently denied to Roku users.
castalla

Postby West Ham » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:52 pm

bullardc wrote: The browser is nice, but you can't access anything with it as far as video content goes.

What in the world are you talking about?
West Ham

Postby gearcrasher » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:37 pm

I have Google TV and an Android tablet. I can get lots of video on both. However Hulu, and the Networks block content to these devices and Iplayer is Geo blocked. If the previous poster is getting those it is with some "tweaking", but the Roku can be tweaked as well. I think we are just at the dawn of the streaming age and doubt Roku will be caught sleeping (like RIM).
Roku XD
Roku HD
Roku XD/S
Logitech Revue
Sony SMP200
Directv HR21
gearcrasher

Postby arrowrand » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:18 pm

bullardc wrote:The browser is nice, but you can't access anything with it as far as video content goes.

It accesses HBO Go, MAX Go and ESPN3 just fine. Being on DirectTV my Revue is the only device that I have that can access HBO. Roku doesn't do MAX Go or ESPN3 at all. Google TV also does YouTube, which Roku doesn't do.

Add in the TV & Movies app that I use instead of the guide and play list on my DVR and I find a lot of uses for my Revue. I prefer the Netflix experience on the Roku, but the Roku doesn't search for my movies and series like Google TV does.

I'll buy at least 2, probably 3 and put my Revue out for the garbage.
Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2, Fire TV Stick & Chromecast - 37" LCD
ROKU HD & Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby Arwen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:58 pm

In regards to DLNA, here is something people should understand about the VIZIO
Co-Star. The Co-Star states it supports the following for video and audio, (besides flash
for the browser);

Video Playback H.264, MP4, MKV
Music Playback MP3, AAC, WMA

This means it's NOT DLNA complient. Unless you want to consider it a portable device.
Non-portable devices MUST support MPEG2 video and LPCM audio to be DLNA
standards complient. Everything else is optional.

Here is the reference page I used from VIZIO;

http://www.vizio.com/costar/specs

All that said, it might work just fine with DLNA sources IF they are in the right format.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby tensen » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:25 am

West Ham wrote:
bullardc wrote: The browser is nice, but you can't access anything with it as far as video content goes.

What in the world are you talking about?

Probably talking about some of the tv channel sites actively blocking anything with the GoogleTV browser setting.
tensen

Return to Off Topic