Roku is stuck on language screen after factory reset.

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku is stuck on language screen after factory reset.

Postby Phira » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:24 pm

My Roku XS froze up on me two days ago. After trying everything to get it to work I did a factory reset, now the Roku is stuck on the select language screen. I'm at a loss on what to do now other than kick this thing across the room.

Any Ideas?
Phira

Re: Roku is stuck on language screen after factory reset.

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Hold the paperclip button down for no less than 30 seconds. If that doesn't work, report back and we'll try a few other things.

(in fact, take a look at this thread and try those steps as well.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby JAZZBACK » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Phira wrote:My Roku XS froze up on me two days ago. After trying everything to get it to work I did a factory reset, now the Roku is stuck on the select language screen. I'm at a loss on what to do now other than kick this thing across the room.

Any Ideas?

I Have found this same Problem on my XS. I Had to use a IR Remote from a older model to set up the unit and then go into settings and pair the Bluetooth remote. for some reason i found if i do a factory reset on the xs the Bluetooth remote does not pair. or maybe the roku can poll the remote while user holds ok button or any hot button. suggestion in future firmware?

you can also use remoku to set up the box and then go into settings and Pair the Bluetooth remote. (Suggestion Roku to bundle a IR Remote with the gaming remote in the XS).

http://remoku.tv
ROKU XD:12A14H000054
Cox Communications
30 DN 5 UP Running WIFI!!!
JAZZBACK

Postby JAZZBACK » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:01 pm

ooops forgot remoku will not work you have to connect to the wifi in setup process blond moment.
ROKU XD:12A14H000054
Cox Communications
30 DN 5 UP Running WIFI!!!
JAZZBACK

Postby Phira » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:11 am

Tried the paperclip trick and it still beings me back to the language screen. I thought it was suppose to start the ROKU up all over again from the beginning. This is getting very frustrating. The remote isn't lighting up as it usually does so I have a feeling the bluetooth isn't pairing with the remote, which sucks. Anyone know if you can use an Universal remote?
Phira

Postby kc8pql » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:33 am

Phira wrote:Tried the paperclip trick and it still beings me back to the language screen. I thought it was suppose to start the ROKU up all over again from the beginning.

It should. Maybe you didn't hold it long enough. You need to hold it for at least 30 seconds, a minute is better. A short push just reboots the box rather than resetting it.
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuMarkn » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:05 am

The language screen IS the beginning. It's the first screen that's shown on a newly reset Roku.

You can use an IR remote with any Roku model.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby twspencer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:39 am

Has anybody found a solution for this? I held the hard reset button (using a paperclip) for 45 seconds. The Roku 2 rebooted and came up showing the language menu again. based on what I have read in the blogs, I guess that the bluetooth is not pairing and therefore have no way to engage the box. I went to http://remoku.tv/ as one suggested but it asks for the Roku info which, in order to get to, requires the ability to get to the settings menu which is not possible.

Looking for ideas.

Tom
twspencer

Postby twspencer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:42 am

Take off the battery cover on the remote, press the purple button for 2 or more seconds. Then try again. It worked for me on a Roku 2 box.
twspencer

Postby Phira » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:53 am

twspencer It worked!! I took the battery cover off and held that little purple button for a few minutes and it repaired with the Roku. I am so freaking happy. LoL
Phira

Postby Denver Dave » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:30 pm

I would like to add that we had the same problem. Pressing the little purple button inside the cover on the remote did eventually have an effect after holding it down for a couple of minutes.

Then we had to enter a code on roku.com/link
Then we had to sign into roku and apparently our rolku password was not the same as our nf password
Had to have them send a new password
Had to fight through the captcha , which is virtually impossible for a human to read, taking many many tries with another person helpingThen had to fight my way around the screen that insisted on payment information, even though no payment needed (I'd cancel nf first)
Finally made it past the horrible payment screen with https://owner.roku.com
Changed temporary roku pw
Then had to sign on to nf on my TV with remote with email and nf password.

By the time I did all the above, the family member that wanted to use roku / nf left.

It is working now.

I guess this solved the issue of whether we should order nf and roku for my mom - she would never have figured all of this out.

Anyway thanks for the post, I was ready to cancel my subscription. Time for bed, maybe I'll view tomorrow.

PS. The issue may have been caused by using the ethernet cable connected to roku , temporarily for connection to a PC. Next time we'll try to remember to unplug the roku box first. Wish the remote would turn off.

Dave
Denver Dave

Postby rboydnm » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:58 pm

twspencer wrote:Take off the battery cover on the remote, press the purple button for 2 or more seconds. Then try again. It worked for me on a Roku 2 box.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It worked!!!
rboydnm

Postby marlyn » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:39 pm

thank you so much for posting this! Now I just wish I had known this two days ago =)
marlyn

Postby kc8pql » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:18 pm

^ The pairing instructions are on the last page of the printed Quick Start Guide that came with your box.
http://wwwimg.roku.com/Roku2-XS-QSG_0.pdf
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wagco2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:31 pm

I have the same issue, and I've tried these steps over and over and I;m still stuck on the language screen...
wagco2

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion