what is best way to watch olympics on roku ?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Postby Macs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:36 pm

ie. BBC on roku ?

NBC streaming on roku ?

nowhereman ?
Macs

Re: what is best way to watch olympics on roku ?

Postby castalla » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Probably, and sadly, none of the above!

Just use BBC iplayer and the associated BBC Sports page.
castalla

Postby Junckboxx » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:48 pm

I woulda said CBC.
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
Junckboxx

Postby mikebdoss » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:59 pm

I don't know if any of those will work well - NBC has the Olympics pretty locked down. An OTA antenna is likely to be by far your best free option.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby steamer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:10 pm

CBC might show some of the Canadian stuff.
I see today TSN was on it ...
their sports channel ...
canadian football. oh joy! ;)
it prempted the normal CBC programming ...
which was supposed to be the Calgary Stampede.
hope that doesn't happen to often ...
but maybe TSN will have some Olympics.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.1 b1195
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby tensen » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:55 pm

castalla wrote:Probably, and sadly, none of the above!

I wish that option was available for those of us not in the UK.
tensen

Postby Macs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:54 pm

tensen wrote:
castalla wrote:Probably, and sadly, none of the above!

I wish that option was available for those of us not in the UK.

dont know what bbc iplayer is .. bbc website flash player ??

will that not be avail to us ip address ?
i get some bbc news on android mobile.. will web access from bbc be curtailed ?
Macs

Postby Macs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm

**edit: the use of VPN or other services to bypass regional restrictions is not allowed on these forums.
Macs

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:38 pm

^ OK, iPlayer isn't available legally in the US. Roku tends frown on discussing methods to get around content owner's regional restrictions.
See Forum Rules above:
Usage of VPNs to circumvent establish regional broadcast rules should not be discussed on this forum. Be aware that if you post a question regarding the use of a VPN, your thread will be locked immediately.
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby Macs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:19 pm

jeez, i didnt mean to kick up dust, i dont know these things.
i just wanted to watch some better olympic coverage than what i could find the last few rounds.

after the thousands..yea tens of thousands of dollars i have paid to twc for the privilege of watching tens, yea hundreds of thousands of commercials, with a sprinkling of sport dashed in between, i just cant even imagine it possible that i could be stealing anything, no matter how it comes up. i dont get free anything. i have to pay to breath, to walk, and to see.

truthfully, i got more better coverage in the f******* newspaper, during the past two olympics than from any sort of modern appliance such as a tv screen or such. when, may i ask is the future finally going to get here ???
and yes, it may have been a newspaper left laying around macdonalds, i admit it.

i thought the olympics was meant to be a spectacle !!! and as such, meant to be seen and watched and observed. i'd like to get a chance to see something besides the opening ceremony. (speaking of which, id heard london wasnt even going to attempt to compete w beijing.)

i am not trying to circumvent anything or any giant corporations giant profits... except i would like to circumvent bob costas. i dont know about you, but i am about tired of that guy, (and his syrupy commentary).
he really only comes around much every other year, but his brand is getting old. ..has he had one too many lifts, or does he just naturally look like he just accidentally stepped in front of a train...?

when...does the future get here ? ?
Macs

Postby mikebdoss » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:23 pm

The Olympics is a business, nothing more. It exists to make money via the exploitation of amateur athletes. It has sold the rights to broadcast the games to various networks in various countries, and those contracts are typically exclusive (meaning you can't just watch the games anywhere else).

Regardless of how much you've paid Time Warner Cable or how many commercials you've watched, you don't have the legal right to watch television in other ways (under current laws). Right or wrong, that's how the system is set up. Especially since TWC has absolutely nothing to do with NBC (in the US) and its Olympic coverage.
mikebdoss

Postby Macs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:38 pm

i dont have good access to nbc w/o twc, practically speaking (havent seen good resukts w ota) and i have to have rr anyway.

i disagree w your principle on other grounds. twc has a monopoly for some reason unfathonable to me and the city attorney here.
also paid access to a gagzillion commercials, whether nbc, syfy or comedy central, is double jeopardy in my book.

on the positive, i have developed a real appreciation for classical music through diligent radio commercial avoidance.
id like to meet the guy who does the toyota radio commercials to see if he actually talks that way in person.... it would be scary, but i am curious
Macs

Postby Macs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:57 pm

anyway, you missed the point of my previous post..
i was speaking to the quality of the experience, and the implementation of available technology ; and lamenting both

i dont care much about debating the legalities, as such. im not a lawyer, im a viewer.
-but you may be correct in that legalities of royalties may be fundamental to the degradation of the viewing experience, and the progressive implementation of technology.
and no, i dont pay uk taxes, before you even go there. but i do pay to get nbc, in every way.

so.. still it is a shame, i will not get to see even a fraction of what i would like to see of the great athletic spectacle.
this thread confirms that much for me.
and there's something wrong with that picture.
Macs

Postby steamer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:42 am

doesn't matter what you or any of us 'like' or agree/disagree with ...
mike is just giving you the facts ...
how it IS.
reality.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.1 b1195
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby vnzjunk » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:06 am

My understanding is the OTA coverage will be mostly recorded coverage of events which have already taken place. Not that this is a bad thing. It is what it is. But if one wants to more fully enjoy the OTA coverage and try for the 'excitement factor' of the events they should probably attempt to shield themselves from any Olympic Event results via the internet, newspaper or television news and the scrolling banners at the bottom of the screen. Not an easy task to avoid all of them for sure.
The Olympics it seems have succumbed to the almighty dollar just like most of our 'sports' have. I am glad that I can remember the 'OLD' days when it wasn't the prime factor in the delivery of the content.

Here is a link which gives coverage information originated by NBC Network as well as several of its affiliated Network property's.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/index.html

mikebdoss wrote:I don't know if any of those will work well - NBC has the Olympics pretty locked down. An OTA antenna is likely to be by far your best free option.
Last edited by vnzjunk on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnzjunk

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion