Purple Screen on Roku Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Purple Screen on Roku Player

Postby DFelton » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:01 am

Okay, I have had the Roku for about 3 months. I really enjoyed having it, but now I am having the purple screen issue. I am not feeling this problem since, I look on this forum and see that the purple screen issue has been an issue for sometime. I have tried everything from unplugging and removing the HDMI cord. What is a customer suppose to do now????
DFelton

Re: Purple Screen on Roku Player

Postby Buckeye911 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 am

We need a little more information. Are you able to see anything or does it turn purple when you try to watch something? If you are able to see the channel store and it turns purple when you try to watch video then then display setting probably changed somehow to 1080P and will not display on a 720P TV. You can go into settings and change "display type" to 720P. If this is not the issue then you more than likely have an HDMI handshake issue. Have you tried changing cables? You mentioned power cycling the Roku but have you unplugged the TV to reset it as well? Good luck.
Buckeye911

Postby DFelton » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:54 am

I have done just about everything. Powered the tv, changed the HDMI input into the tv, powered off the roku changed from 720p to 1080p and I have a 1080 tv. At this point I can let my son play angry birds but that was not the soul purpose of the roku. I can select the show from the channel and I see it loading, but as soon as the video starts the screen turns purple. I am a little dissatisfied with the product if I have to do so much to get it to work and I have only had it for 3 months.
DFelton

Postby Buckeye911 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Is there another TV you could try hooking it up to? Also, as weird as it sounds, some people have reported success by changing to a longer HDMI cable. How long is the cable you are using? You can also try the online customer support. http://support.roku.com/home
Buckeye911

Postby d6500k » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Is the Roku running through a receiver then to the display?

Doug k
d6500k

Postby atheling » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:13 am

DFelton wrote:I have done just about everything. Powered the tv, changed the HDMI input into the tv, powered off the roku changed from 720p to 1080p and I have a 1080 tv. At this point I can let my son play angry birds but that was not the soul purpose of the roku. I can select the show from the channel and I see it loading, but as soon as the video starts the screen turns purple. I am a little dissatisfied with the product if I have to do so much to get it to work and I have only had it for 3 months.

When you "Powered the tv" did you unplug it? The power switch on most TVs don't actually power every thing down and fully reset the processor in them.

What you are describing seems to be the result of HDCP (content protection) hand shaking breaking between the Roku and the TV. The Roku will fully restart it's side of the process on an HDMI unplug/replug operation and, of course, when it is power cycled. But if the TV's processor is out to lunch that will be of no avail. Since your combination worked earlier I think the most likely thing is the your TV is acting up and the "power switch" on the TV is unlikely to fix that but pulling the power cord might well do it.
atheling

Postby RickRansom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:12 pm

atheling wrote:
DFelton wrote:I have done just about everything. Powered the tv, changed the HDMI input into the tv, powered off the roku changed from 720p to 1080p and I have a 1080 tv. At this point I can let my son play angry birds but that was not the soul purpose of the roku. I can select the show from the channel and I see it loading, but as soon as the video starts the screen turns purple. I am a little dissatisfied with the product if I have to do so much to get it to work and I have only had it for 3 months.

When you "Powered the tv" did you unplug it? The power switch on most TVs don't actually power every thing down and fully reset the processor in them.

What you are describing seems to be the result of HDCP (content protection) hand shaking breaking between the Roku and the TV. The Roku will fully restart it's side of the process on an HDMI unplug/replug operation and, of course, when it is power cycled. But if the TV's processor is out to lunch that will be of no avail. Since your combination worked earlier I think the most likely thing is the your TV is acting up and the "power switch" on the TV is unlikely to fix that but pulling the power cord might well do it.

+1
Retired
RickRansom

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion