A Roku alternative - XBMC

This is the place to discuss items not related to your Roku Streaming Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

A Roku alternative - XBMC

Postby castalla » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:10 am

Could this be it?

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/07/17/a ... player/#14

A Vizio Costar or Raspberry Pi (or any other android set-top box) plus XBMC ...
castalla

Re: A Roku alternative - XBMC

Postby mommom » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:58 am

I have already preordered the Rasberry Pi and signed up to be notified when the Costar is available.There are several tiny pcs coming out that run Android,many just the size of a flash drive.Netflix is not going to run on the Pi,so Roku is safe there.But all of those other xbmc plugins will.I plan to install xbmc and velcro it to the back of a 32 inch tv my grandson uses for a monitor.With a case he builds from Lego's. :D
mommom

Postby castalla » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:04 am

Yep - got a RPi on order too ... going to use it as a Logitech Media Server (there's already a dedicated distro for this).
castalla

Postby dwanthny » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 am

castalla wrote:A Vizio Costar or Raspberry Pi (or any other android set-top box) plus XBMC ...

I decided to try the Ouya, eta March. It is a wide open Android platform. 39500 backers including over 500 developers. With a decent developer community this should be a nice platform.

Of course this whole thread should be moved to the Off Topic forum.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby mommom » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:39 am

dwanthny wrote:
castalla wrote:A Vizio Costar or Raspberry Pi (or any other android set-top box) plus XBMC ...

I decided to try the Ouya, eta March. It is a wide open Android platform. 39500 backers including over 500 developers. With a decent developer community this should be a nice platform.

Of course this whole thread should be moved to the Off Topic forum.

Yes but its getting good.I was checking out the Ouya thinking about Xmas.Well,not this year but next year.
mommom

Return to Off Topic