cannot connect to local network

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

cannot connect to local network

Postby bbatl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:14 am

I have an older model of "Roku HD" (bought in 2010) that had no problem connecting to my old (linksys) router and AT&T DSL. I switched to Comcast and also replaced the router with Airlink 101 N router (AR670W). I set up an "unsecure" wireless connection - it broadcasts and does not require any password or use encryption. I'm able to connect 3 of my computers to the network but Roku fails. Most of the time it fails on "connecting to wireless network" but a couple of times it gave a green light for "connecting to wireless network but then a red light for "connecting to local network".
In order to figure out whether it's the internet provider or the router issue I connected my old router to the Comcast modem and try connecting Roku again. From Roku: "connect to wireless network" passed, "connect to local network" passed but then "connect to internet" failed so I was not able to connect to the internet using Comcast and my old router. So now I'm confused. Is this an issue with the new router or with Comcast?
Is there any way to troubleshoot it any further?

thanks,
bbatl

Re: cannot connect to local network

Postby bbatl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I changed the new router to broadcast in "mixed g/b" mode instead of "mixed g/b/n" and after that everything worked fine and Roku was able to connect. However, that means I cannot take advantage of the faster n-mode. Is that some kind of limitation of my Roku ( I have Roku HD 2000C) and my internet connection went down from around 18Mbps to 10Mbps.
Somebody told me to get a new router. But is the problem the router or the Roku? It seems to me that since Roku has no problem connecting when the router is set to b/g mode and cannot connect when the router is set to b/g/n mode then the problem is with the Roku and not the router, right?

thanks,
bbatl

Postby bbatl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:00 pm

I think I found the answer to my question. On Amazon there is a comparison of different Roku models and my model does not have a checkmark next to b/g/n compatible. It's just b/g compatible. That's why when I switched the router from b/g/n to just b/g my Roku was able to connect.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-2000C-HD-Str ... B00426C55G
bbatl

Postby Nick255 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 pm

bbatl wrote:I think I found the answer to my question. On Amazon there is a comparison of different Roku models and my model does not have a checkmark next to b/g/n compatible. It's just b/g compatible. That's why when I switched the router from b/g/n to just b/g my Roku was able to connect.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-2000C-HD-Str ... B00426C55G

That shouldn't matter as a N router will be able to fall back to B or G as necessary. For example, the original NDS is B only and yet works just fine so there is probably something wrong with either the Roku software or your router. You might try to see if you can install DD-WRT on it.
Nick255

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion