Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
divinetv
Visitor

dish exclusivity

How long does DISH take to respond to a international channel permission request? I have my own international channel and ROKU said to contact DISH for permission.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
bandal
Visitor

Re: dish exclusivity

It took about 3 1/2 week for me to hear back.
0 Kudos
adkinsjm
Visitor

Roku must be hurting for money.
0 Kudos
ejagdon
Reel Rookie

I went with boxee and we developed an international channel there, none of this "dish exclusivity" crap. just part of life. move and go on.
0 Kudos
mkenya
Visitor

"ejagdon" wrote:
I went with boxee and we developed an international channel there, none of this "dish exclusivity" crap. just part of life. move and go on.

How easy is it to move from ROKU to Boxee?
I am so upset. I spent so much time and money on my ROKU CHANNEL

I need a solution. I hope Boxee does not do the same crap with, say Disney.
0 Kudos
mkenya
Visitor

Re: Dish exclusivity... Bad for Developers. What choice do w

Re: International Channels and DISHWorld Exclusivity

Postby RokuPatrick » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:31 pm
Hi everyone,

I want to reiterate and elaborate on a few things. Going forward, DISHWorld is our exclusive provider for International and Foreign Language content in North America. We believe this deal will provide the best results and experience for content owners, end users and Roku.

Could this be an indicator that ROKU is having financial difficulty? Sounds like a desperate move if you ask me.
My target audience would not pay a penny for DISH subscription simply because DISH has nothing to offer them. My audience gets more news from youtube than from any channel on DISH.
My channel staff goes out and we burst our rear ends to provide content only to be told that DISH wants exclusivity.
In the meantime ROKU says that it has the developer's and end users best interest at heart, - Really?
Developers spend so much valuable time and resources developing these channels.
Most developers hope to generate revenue through advertising on ROKU content - cutting the supply line by offering it to DISH means instant death to the ROKU developer.

As a developer... I feel ROKU is selling me for peanuts.
It is a bad move ROKU... you should consider.
You know developers like me out there are venting with anger because we feel misled.
Locking posts is not the solution - open the forums so you can hear what folks have to say about this.
How am I supposed to inform my advertisers that I will no longer be airing their ads?
How are producers supposed to continue producing if they cannot make money since there ads are no longer allowed?

You can go on and on persuading me the developer how sweet this deal is for me but I don't see it.

I have never used DISH myself for over 10 years... it has nothing to offer me nor my audience.
I know my audience well.
Remember developers brought you this far ROKU.
I pay to receive exclusive content for my channel but DISH wants the Revenue i generate from exclusive VOD content. How insulting is that?

I would like to know if developers were represented at all at the time this ROKU-DISH deal was struck.
This is not Business ROKU - its bad business.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

DishWorld is different from Dish. Right there is where the confusion starts.

http://www.dish.com/

http://dishworldiptv.com/

Like any pay-for-content provider, they could do something nice and say that you can choose your individual lineup of your own channels for 99 cents/channel - rather than the 'package deal' with channels you don't want to get ones you do.
Regardless, none of those comments actually resolve the main problem - that basically kills any and all international/foreign language content on Roku. I just got a Raspberry Pi today - going to see how difficult it is to set up some media control programs on it 🙂
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

mkenya, have you actually contacted DishWorld or Roku about your channel? The agreement does not state that your channel will not be allowed, nor does it say that it will have to go through Dish. It says that you have to get written permission. Unless you've actually contacted them, and they said no, I think you're getting a bit too worked up prematurely.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
ejagdon
Reel Rookie

"mkenya" wrote:
"ejagdon" wrote:

How easy is it to move from ROKU to Boxee?
I am so upset. I spent so much time and money on my ROKU CHANNEL

I need a solution. I hope Boxee does not do the same crap with, say Disney.

mkenya,
You just have to contact boxee and go through their application process, much like roku. But so far I am happy with boxee, visitors are noticing it slowly, it has been only a couple of days. I like the independence with boxee and not having to deal with any third party like "dishworld", it was so disappointing for roku to make this move without even considering all of the developers that have make roku what it is. I don't want to wish bad on any business but the roku/dishworld partnership won't last because no one is going to pay for contents, i make my money through advertising so I don't have to charge my viewers anything. Boxee has better functionalities too.
and boxee covers viewership not only in the U.S. but Europe too, but that's not the point. The point is if you are a developer you should not have to deal with anyone about your site or contents that you provide. I say all developers protest roku, tell them you are going to the competition with boxee and see what happens then, I just have a bad feeling that roku/dishworld partnership will end in a financial negative disaster.
0 Kudos
Nick255
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
mkenya, have you actually contacted DishWorld or Roku about your channel? The agreement does not state that your channel will not be allowed, nor does it say that it will have to go through Dish. It says that you have to get written permission. Unless you've actually contacted them, and they said no, I think you're getting a bit too worked up prematurely.

Apparently it can take a few months of constant emails and phone calls before Dish will bother to give you an answer.
0 Kudos