Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dish exclusivity

"ejagdon" wrote:
"mkenya" wrote:
"ejagdon" wrote:
I went with boxee and we developed an international channel there, none of this "dish exclusivity" crap. just part of life. move and go on.

How easy is it to move from ROKU to Boxee?
I am so upset. I spent so much time and money on my ROKU CHANNEL

I need a solution. I hope Boxee does not do the same crap with, say Disney.

mkenya,
You just have to contact boxee and go through their application process, much like roku. But so far I am happy with boxee, visitors are noticing it slowly, it has been only a couple of days. I like the independence with boxee and not having to deal with any third party like "dishworld", it was so disappointing for roku to make this move without even considering all of the developers that have make roku what it is. I don't want to wish bad on any business but the roku/dishworld partnership won't last because no one is going to pay for contents, i make my money through advertising so I don't have to charge my viewers anything. Boxee has better functionalities too.
and boxee covers viewership not only in the U.S. but Europe too, but that's not the point. The point is if you are a developer you should not have to deal with anyone about your site or contents that you provide. I say all developers protest roku, tell them you are going to the competition with boxee and see what happens then, I just have a bad feeling that roku/dishworld partnership will end in a financial negative disaster.

+1 Roku definitely made a wrong decision. This is what happens when you underestimate market you work with. Ethnic communities are the ones buying Roku boxes simply because they can watch channels from their service providers. Why would anyone else buy Roku? Watch Netflix? There are hundreds of other devices that can do that, why bother buying roku for that reason? All the individual channels shown and promoted on roku have no market, it is just a nice thing to play with once or twice. With ethnic service providers who can offer their customers 60-80 channels from homeland via Roku box it is an ultimate tool for hundreds of thousands expats from various ethnic communities living in USA/Canada.
Roku guys, let me explain it to you if you don't get how bad your decision was to go with dish. Dish is offering 5-10 ethnic channels of a specific community with boring content and charges $30-40 for them. Other service providers deliver 60-80 channels with interesting channels that people will actually like to watch for $20-30. So by taking away this entertainment from people your box becomes useless and guess what happens next - all those people will move on to another device that will allow them to watch what they want. AppleTV boxes were jailbroken and people put XBMC on them, that helped Apple to penetrate people's homes much faster, then they released AppleTV 3 which cannot be jailbroken and people started buying Roku box because it offered the service they liked. Now Roku takes this entertainment away from them and people move on to Boxee, Samsung Blue Ray Players, WD live, Uebo, etc. So congratulations guys, you just buried your excellent project.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

^ I wish I had a dollar for every box Roku has sold since the first of the very many predictions that some decision they've made was going to be the end of them. I'd have more than $3 million by now...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
ejagdon
Reel Rookie

"kc8pql" wrote:
^ I wish I had a dollar for every box Roku has sold since the first of the very many predictions that some decision they've made was going to be the end of them. I'd have more than $3 million by now...

Who the hell are you?? Do you have an international channel with DISH?? Probably not...
0 Kudos
DerekHelps
Visitor

"ejagdon" wrote:
"kc8pql" wrote:

Who the hell are you?? Do you have an international channel with DISH?? Probably not...

Perhaps he doesn't; however he quite obviously is not someone who has apparently joined the forums with the sole intent of complaining about the new deal and current situation. also is someone who, judging by forum longevity, has some understanding of how various predictions have been made regarding the company.

To ask who are you of someone that has been active on the forums for years when you can barely claim a month of membership shows a great misunderstanding of who is involved within this community. especially when all of your involvement is with regards to a single issue. Before suggesting that someone has no standing, perhaps it would be better that you yourself have developed some standing beyond the single month of memebrship and single issue that you seem to have interest in.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
0 Kudos
ejagdon
Reel Rookie

It doesn't matter whether I have been on this forum 1 day or 5 years , You are entitled to your opinion, from a business standpoint regarding roku's decision to partner up with dish for the "international component", my opinion is that it was a decision not thought of thoroughly which alienates so many "international" channel developers. So on this part I think it was a bad decision on roku's part, I wasn't implying about roku's other business decisions, just the international component. Why do you think all of the developers for the international portions are so pissed off? Think what you will. I'm done...........

"DerekHelps" wrote:
"ejagdon" wrote:
"kc8pql" wrote:

Perhaps he doesn't; however he quite obviously is not someone who has apparently joined the forums with the sole intent of complaining about the new deal and current situation. also is someone who, judging by forum longevity, has some understanding of how various predictions have been made regarding the company.

To ask who are you of someone that has been active on the forums for years when you can barely claim a month of membership shows a great misunderstanding of who is involved within this community. especially when all of your involvement is with regards to a single issue. Before suggesting that someone has no standing, perhaps it would be better that you yourself have developed some standing beyond the single month of memebrship and single issue that you seem to have interest in.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/25/roku-ceo-dish-exclusive/
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos