Streaming videos from my pc

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Streaming videos from my pc

Postby ginahoy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:17 pm

I've been looking into Roksbox and MyMedia so I can use my Roku 2 to stream movies from my PC on the TV. But after scanning through the support threads in this forum, I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge. I understand I have to set up a server on my PC and convert the files (typically avi). I'd appreciate any advice, especially regarding advantages/disadvantages of Roksbox vs. MyMedia. I'm willing to sacrifice features if it means not having to spend countless hours trying to make it work. TIA
ginahoy

Re: Streaming videos from my pc

Postby hozedhead » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Try Plex. It's easy to set up and it will convert the videos for you if your PC is powerful enough, i.e. at least duo-core.

Between the other two, I use Roksbox. I've never tried MyMedia, so I can't compare the two. There is a learning curve with Roksbox, but once you get the hang of it, it works great. There is a site with instructions on how to set it up at http://www.roksbox.com. You can get plenty of help by posting in the Roksbox thread or sending a PM to the developer.
Last edited by hozedhead on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby mommom » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 pm

If you try Plex it can transcode your files as long as your pc is at least a dual core.There is a private channel you can use the free version of that transcodes as well,thats what I use.
mommom

Postby ginahoy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for quick replies! I guess I was confused about what Plex is.

hozedhead wrote:Try Plex. It's easy to set up and it will convert the videos for you if your PC is powerful enough, i.e. at least duo-core.

I didn't realize that was possible. In the MyMedia thread, I saw a comment where the developer said he was looking into supporting real-time file conversion but had determined it was way too slow to do in real time. I'm glad to hear that's not the case.

My processor is a bit old, but it *is* dual core -- AMD 64X2 4200+ Do you think that's fast enough?
ginahoy

Postby mommom » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:06 pm

ginahoy wrote:Thanks for quick replies! I guess I was confused about what Plex is.

hozedhead wrote:Try Plex. It's easy to set up and it will convert the videos for you if your PC is powerful enough, i.e. at least duo-core.

I didn't realize that was possible. In the MyMedia thread, I saw a comment where the developer said he was looking into supporting real-time file conversion but had determined it was way too slow to do in real time. I'm glad to hear that's not the case.

My processor is a bit old, but it *is* dual core -- AMD 64X2 4200+ Do you think that's fast enough?

That is the same processor used on 2 of the tv connected pc's in my house.I don't use Plex,but I do use another private channel that transcodes on the fly with good results going to 1 :D device at a time.My quadcore htpc can stream to at least 3 devices at the same time,it is AMD Phenom 2.

HTH
mommom

Postby radiocolin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:55 pm

We just talked about setting up Plex on this week's episode of Know How http://twit.tv/kh4
radiocolin

Postby mommom » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:59 pm

radiocolin wrote:We just talked about setting up Plex on this week's episode of Know How http://twit.tv/kh4

Its always nice to have help! I struggled so much with Plex until I found out I had turned off some "services" when I installed W7 and it seems Plex needed one of them.Not sure which one,but I just put all of them back and Plex worked fine.I did decide not to use it in favor of my xbmc that I am used to,but that was just a personal choice.
mommom

Postby ginahoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:23 pm

I just installed the Plex Media Server and all is (mostly) good. A couple of nits: Out-of-the-box, the python scrips (running as plexscriphost.ext) default to full-screen mode so whenever I start PMS, my screen goes to black with a flashing cursor in upper left corner. I have to invoke Task Manager to return to my Windows desktop. On top of that, multiple instances of script host appeared in the Windows Taskbar. I finally figured out that I could right-click on the scripthost icon and change the display properties to Windows Mode. That not only eliminates the 'black screen' problem but those scrip host icons no longer litter my Taskbar. Finally, clicking on the gear icon in the lower left corner of PMS has no effect. I finally discovered that the gear menu is only active when a Library Section is selected in the left side menu. That also explains why I couldn't find a way to delete an unwanted Library Section -- the 'remove' button is part of the gear menu.

I have one question for anyone who uses Plex Media Server with Roku... When scanning through a movie, I don't see any frame previews like with Netflix. Is this feature not supported, or is there a setting that will turn this on?
ginahoy

Postby hozedhead » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:09 pm

ginahoy wrote:I have one question for anyone who uses Plex Media Server with Roku... When scanning through a movie, I don't see any frame previews like with Netflix. Is this feature not supported, or is there a setting that will turn this on?

No and yes. No, the official Roku channel doesn't offer "trick mode". It is on the "to do" list - once PMS is modified in a future release to generate and serve up the .bif files necessary for the onscreen frames, the next subsequent official channel will support trick mode.

Thankfully, both PMS and the Plex Roku channel are open source and several users have developed ways to enable generation and serving of the .bif files as well as private Plex Roku channels that can utilize them. The pertinent threads to read are here and here. It's kinda complicated and you'll want to read through everything before deciding if you want to get into it, but it does work. I haven't been able to get the automatic .bif creation to work, but there is a way to force .bif creation.
Last edited by hozedhead on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hozedhead

Postby hozedhead » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:50 pm

radiocolin wrote:We just talked about setting up Plex on this week's episode of Know How http://twit.tv/kh4

Nice video! I have one issue with it, though. At one point, the guy with the glasses says that the plugins work for PMS on any platform, and that's not correct. Some of the plugins are developed by users and only tested on the version of PMS that they personally use. The Spotify plugin is an example. It only works with Mac.

Other than that I thought it was a very good overview and demonstration.
hozedhead

Postby FX4 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:36 am

ginahoy wrote:I just installed the Plex Media Server and all is (mostly) good. A couple of nits: Out-of-the-box, the python scrips (running as plexscriphost.ext) default to full-screen mode so whenever I start PMS, my screen goes to black with a flashing cursor in upper left corner. I have to invoke Task Manager to return to my Windows desktop. On top of that, multiple instances of script host appeared in the Windows Taskbar. I finally figured out that I could right-click on the scripthost icon and change the display properties to Windows Mode. That not only eliminates the 'black screen' problem but those scrip host icons no longer litter my Taskbar. Finally, clicking on the gear icon in the lower left corner of PMS has no effect. I finally discovered that the gear menu is only active when a Library Section is selected in the left side menu. That also explains why I couldn't find a way to delete an unwanted Library Section -- the 'remove' button is part of the gear menu.
?

Not sure how you are seeing this. I have not observed this behavior at all. The PMS is mostly transparent although certain releases can be slightly buggy.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby scyber » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:45 am

ginahoy wrote:I just installed the Plex Media Server and all is (mostly) good. A couple of nits: Out-of-the-box, the python scrips (running as plexscriphost.ext) default to full-screen mode so whenever I start PMS, my screen goes to black with a flashing cursor in upper left corner. I have to invoke Task Manager to return to my Windows desktop. On top of that, multiple instances of script host appeared in the Windows Taskbar. I finally figured out that I could right-click on the scripthost icon and change the display properties to Windows Mode. That not only eliminates the 'black screen' problem but those scrip host icons no longer litter my Taskbar.

That behavoir is not normal. When the PMS is run the only thing that should appear is the icon in the systray. It sounds like you had some windows setting changed (are you perhaps a developer/administrator that changed the default command line script behavior on your system?). I'm glad you managed to fix it, but that is certainly not the default nor intended behavior.
scyber

Postby ginahoy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:42 pm

scyber wrote:
ginahoy wrote:That behavoir is not normal. When the PMS is run the only thing that should appear is the icon in the systray.

For unrelated reasons, I had to restore my HDD from a backup predating my PMS install. So I just re-installed PMS and got the same behavior - after screen went black, I had to use task manager to get back to the Windows desktop, where I found 3 instances of plexscripthost.exe in the taskbar. I right-clicked on one of the script icons and reset the view properties to "window mode", exited PMS and restarted. All is now good. Interestingly, there's now only one instance of the scripthost in the process list, so the 3 instance thing may be related to the initial use of the program. In any case, I see no reason to concern myself with this, but thought I'd post this update in case someone else experiences the same problem.
ginahoy

Postby mommom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:54 am

I had seen this when when I tried Plex ,I also had a problem after exiting and then not being able to click on it and found that it was still listed 1 time in the process list.After stopping it it would be fine for several days.I have no real idea why,but I assumed it was because I use Chrome and the way Chrome behaves,I have had Chrome not open in the past and in task mgr found an instance,stopped it and Chrome opened fine.I could well be wrong,though. :roll:
mommom

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion