Roku + SlingBox Support

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku + SlingBox Support

Postby FearL0rd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi,

I bought a Slingbox and I notice that we don't have a Slingbox player for Roku. I'm seriously thinking about change Roku to something else that supports Slingbox.
Do you have any plans to support sling box?

Regards,
FearL0rd
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Roku + SlingBox Support

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:34 pm

FearL0rd wrote:Hi,

I bought a Slingbox and I notice that we don't have a Slingbox player for Roku. I'm seriously thinking about change Roku to something else that supports Slingbox.
Do you have any plans to support sling box?

Regards,


Slingbox would have to create the app - Roku is just the hardware, and they have an open SDK that allows anyone to make a channel. It's a highly-requested feature, but you really should ask Slingbox if THEY have plans to support Roku, not the other way around.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Roku + SlingBox Support

Postby FearL0rd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks!!!!

I opened this forum too

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51318

I the support here give me some tips how to authenticate in the sling box using brightscript like in C++. I would love create something for us...
FearL0rd
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Roku + SlingBox Support

Postby radiocolin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:20 am

mikebdoss wrote:
FearL0rd wrote:Hi,

I bought a Slingbox and I notice that we don't have a Slingbox player for Roku. I'm seriously thinking about change Roku to something else that supports Slingbox.
Do you have any plans to support sling box?

Regards,


Slingbox would have to create the app - Roku is just the hardware, and they have an open SDK that allows anyone to make a channel. It's a highly-requested feature, but you really should ask Slingbox if THEY have plans to support Roku, not the other way around.


SlingPlayer is mum on the issue. Just like every time this line about going to the developer gets repeated, I'll repeat mine: Roku has an interest in getting desirable channels on their platform, and typically the big players, especially the default channels like Hulu, Netflix, and Crackle have deals with Roku. Those companies didn't just pick up an SDK.

Unfortunately SlingPlayer seems to be focused on rolling out the same crappy Flash player to the WDTV, Google TV, and Boxee boxes. None of those boxes even compares to the Roku. I bought a WDTV and mostly use it only for Sling, with Roku on everything else.
radiocolin
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Roku + SlingBox Support

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:58 am

radiocolin wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
FearL0rd wrote:Hi,

I bought a Slingbox and I notice that we don't have a Slingbox player for Roku. I'm seriously thinking about change Roku to something else that supports Slingbox.
Do you have any plans to support sling box?

Regards,


Slingbox would have to create the app - Roku is just the hardware, and they have an open SDK that allows anyone to make a channel. It's a highly-requested feature, but you really should ask Slingbox if THEY have plans to support Roku, not the other way around.


SlingPlayer is mum on the issue. Just like every time this line about going to the developer gets repeated, I'll repeat mine: Roku has an interest in getting desirable channels on their platform, and typically the big players, especially the default channels like Hulu, Netflix, and Crackle have deals with Roku. Those companies didn't just pick up an SDK.

Unfortunately SlingPlayer seems to be focused on rolling out the same crappy Flash player to the WDTV, Google TV, and Boxee boxes. None of those boxes even compares to the Roku. I bought a WDTV and mostly use it only for Sling, with Roku on everything else.


I agree completely about Roku having a stake in this, and they do assist greatly in (many?) channels. But neither of us knows the extent of any conversations that have taken place between the two, whether something is in the works, etc.

It's also possible that Roku doesn't have the horsepower to act as a Slingplayer. It's fine-tuned as an internet streaming device, and necessary features of Slingplayer might require more specific hardware abilities. But either way, since Roku doesn't announce new features until they're debuting, there's not much we as customers can do except request from both parties.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Roku + SlingBox Support

Postby Junckboxx » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:40 pm

well, has anyone re-asked? I got a sling box, to get my Me TV, where i cannot watch it, within the house... due to DTV/ATSC Line of sight issues. only 1 TV set gets it. If Roku and Sling Media were to get a channel going.... Big Bucks!!!! So many are signing onto Roku, and if Sling media gets their stuff together, they could sell more units. I just plan on keeping 1 channel on the unit, and using the Roku for other viewing. I would prefer to watch it on TV, not a PC or tablet/phone. It's an idea Sling Media needs to seriously look at, since many are now cutting the cord and now need a signal to get into another room, which rabbit ears on the opposite side of the house may not get tv stations. Simply hook a DTV box to it, and go. This thought just makes sense.... but as I have seen... logic doesn't always apply, in business.

By the way, the more people email or call to ask Sling Media , they might be prompted to act on getting a channel on Roku.

Info:

Corporate Headquarters
Sling Media, Inc.
1051 E. Hillsdale Blvd, Suite 500
Foster City, CA 94404
Direct: +1 650 293 8000
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SlingboxUS
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mistersling
http://support.slingbox.com/go/contact-sling-media

Lets get a Sling Box channel!
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
Junckboxx
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 4:26 am

Re: Roku + SlingBox Support

Postby Junckboxx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:52 pm

radiocolin wrote:
Unfortunately SlingPlayer seems to be focused on rolling out the same crappy Flash player to the WDTV, Google TV, and Boxee boxes. None of those boxes even compares to the Roku. I bought a WDTV and mostly use it only for Sling, with Roku on everything else.




I'll agree. Just got a Boxee... and like the 1080p tuner rez.. But that's where it stops. Too few apps for it. I was totally underwhelmed at the boxee. The Boxee is a glorified and expensive DTV converter, without the component RCA connectors. I only got 3 stations (13, 29 and 46). I was missing a few of them in my market, which is why I got the Roku (09, 11, 05, 48, 27 and 28). The boxee does nothing for my viewing. Also, you cannot "directly input" a channel number, like other TV's and converters (aka, add 17.1, by typing it and adding it). Roku outperforms the Boxxee- hands down. Besides, why do I need a tuner? I have an ATSC 2.0 tuner already in my TV and DVD recorder. Not like the Boxee was going to get me the rest of my missing networks.

Got it to see what is really was and thought maybe the sling player app for slingbox would be able to be downloaded, in future.
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
Junckboxx
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 4:26 am

Re: Roku + SlingBox Support

Postby radiocolin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Junckboxx wrote:
radiocolin wrote:
Unfortunately SlingPlayer seems to be focused on rolling out the same crappy Flash player to the WDTV, Google TV, and Boxee boxes. None of those boxes even compares to the Roku. I bought a WDTV and mostly use it only for Sling, with Roku on everything else.




I'll agree. Just got a Boxee... and like the 1080p tuner rez.. But that's where it stops. Too few apps for it. I was totally underwhelmed at the boxee. The Boxee is a glorified and expensive DTV converter, without the component RCA connectors. I only got 3 stations (13, 29 and 46). I was missing a few of them in my market, which is why I got the Roku (09, 11, 05, 48, 27 and 28). The boxee does nothing for my viewing. Also, you cannot "directly input" a channel number, like other TV's and converters (aka, add 17.1, by typing it and adding it). Roku outperforms the Boxxee- hands down. Besides, why do I need a tuner? I have an ATSC 2.0 tuner already in my TV and DVD recorder. Not like the Boxee was going to get me the rest of my missing networks.

Got it to see what is really was and thought maybe the sling player app for slingbox would be able to be downloaded, in future.



The Boxee TV is an entirely new product that is essentially an OTA DVR with some other stuff bolted on.

My original post was referring to the Boxee Box, which was an app-running media center box.
radiocolin
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:08 pm


Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests