Problem with HBOGO

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Problem with HBOGO

Postby bjc624 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Anyone experiencing problems with HBOGo today. Everytime, I try to stream a movie, the Roku shuts down and reboots. The problem is only on the HBO channel. I have an older model HD box.
bjc624

Re: Problem with HBOGO

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Have you tried rebooting your network, or just the Roku? Sometimes it helps, as long as the problem is on your end, and is the first and most easily identifiable. I haven't had a chance to watch anything on HBO today, but I'll try sometime later tonight.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby bjc624 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:03 pm

I took your advice and rebooted the network. HBOGO continues to have the same problem. I have an XD box on the same network and it works fine.
bjc624

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Most likely you might be encountering interference issues, if the other one works. Try hooking up the XD to the TV your 2nd device is hooked up to (and in close proximity to that location), and see if the quality improves.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby Scottheb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:52 pm

My original Roku frequently reboots while watching Hbo.Go. The screen will lock up first and then it reboots. It's been doing it since I first subscribed. Time Warner edition.
Scottheb

Postby __5 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Scottheb wrote:My original Roku frequently reboots while watching Hbo.Go. The screen will lock up first and then it reboots. It's been doing it since I first subscribed. Time Warner edition.

- (after that) rebooted twice.
- If the retrieving bar at ....HD stream got stuck, instead of pressing Up, press Home.
- Try to exit & re-launch the channel after lots of browsing & in between streams – see if that will help.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby BobBreton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:05 pm

HBO GO Issues are the same, I have 2 seperate Brand new ROKU 2 HD boxes hardwired to a 25 Mbps connection that is very stable, only occurs while watching HBO GO, trying to pause the video seems to increase its chances of occuring, but has occured for no reason at random. Box stops responding to the remote, video stalls, box resets, ROKU bounces, and you then can restart the video. Other channels like NETFLIX, HULU, AMAZON PRIME, CRACKLE do not have this issue, only HBO GO on COX Cable
BobBreton

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:08 pm

BobBreton wrote:HBO GO Issues are the same, I have 2 seperate Brand new ROKU 2 HD boxes hardwired to a 25 Mbps connection that is very stable, only occurs while watching HBO GO, trying to pause the video seems to increase its chances of occuring, but has occured for no reason at random. Box stops responding to the remote, video stalls, box resets, ROKU bounces, and you then can restart the video. Other channels like NETFLIX, HULU, AMAZON PRIME, CRACKLE do not have this issue, only HBO GO on COX Cable

HBOGo can be flaky like that, and the problem very likely has nothing to do with either the Roku or your connection. Not much help I can offer, but since everything else is working fine, that really points to a problem in the hops between you and HBOGo's servers.
mikebdoss

Postby BobBreton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:13 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
BobBreton wrote:HBO GO Issues are the same, I have 2 seperate Brand new ROKU 2 HD boxes hardwired to a 25 Mbps connection that is very stable, only occurs while watching HBO GO, trying to pause the video seems to increase its chances of occuring, but has occured for no reason at random. Box stops responding to the remote, video stalls, box resets, ROKU bounces, and you then can restart the video. Other channels like NETFLIX, HULU, AMAZON PRIME, CRACKLE do not have this issue, only HBO GO on COX Cable

HBOGo can be flaky like that, and the problem very likely has nothing to do with either the Roku or your connection. Not much help I can offer, but since everything else is working fine, that really points to a problem in the hops between you and HBOGo's servers.

Anyway to prove it is the hops by providing a CDN or test that can be run by PC on the network, I would say it is not so much the connection or ROKU as it is the application (CHANNEL), another test would be is there anyone using WD-Set Boxes or other medium like a PS3 that uses HBO GO and experiences similiar issues? If so, it could be the hops or servers, but I suspect it is a poor application or channel designed for ROKU. *It will stream great until you try and pause the video, go HOME or anything other than just watch it, if you just let it play sometimes it will lock and reboot, but happens frequently when you try and interupt the stream using the remote.
BobBreton

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:19 pm

BobBreton wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

Anyway to prove it is the hobs by providing a CDN or test that can be run by PC on the network, I would say it is not so much the connection or ROKU as it is the application (CHANNEL)

It's not the channel, otherwise everyone would have this problem. Given the number of posts about it, it's happening but NOT common at all. I have no problem accessing HBOGo except at high-traffic times (I'm watching Back To The Future right now).
mikebdoss

Postby BobBreton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Anyway to prove it is the hobs by providing a CDN or test that can be run by PC on the network, I would say it is not so much the connection or ROKU as it is the application (CHANNEL)[/quote]

It's not the channel, otherwise everyone would have this problem. Given the number of posts about it, it's happening but NOT common at all. I have no problem accessing HBOGo except at high-traffic times (I'm watching Back To The Future right now).[/quote]

We watch it quite often also, Pause your video, play and pause it during the movie about 10 times, could it have to do with watching the same movie in two seperate rooms on the same account? *We have come to call this the HBO Go ROKU Bouncy thing, its a feature in our house now. If it is a CDN thing as you state, then HBO GO has issues, as a Content Delivery Network is supposed to solve issues like this, and in no way should be the consumers issue that they are located accross too many hops. Other channels handle the hops fine, so a poor designed channel if it is the hops, should accomidate it, a ROKU box rebooting and doing the ROKU bounce because of a hop issues is absurd, thats application instability due to whatever reason may be, it should be handled by the application, the ROKU rebooting is due to a fault in the application and/or ROKU OS, but since it is predominent in the HBO App, I would point the finger at the CHANNEL. I should be able to at anytime, unplug my ethernet cable and the box should state lost internet, or the movie stop, not have it APP-Fault and reboot itself, try that, HBO GO does not reboot the ROKU, it stops hence it is something else, ie. Memory leak, application errors?

BTW: Everyone does not write in a FORUM, most just change the channel ;)
BobBreton

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:47 pm

BobBreton wrote:If it is a CDN thing as you state, then HBO GO has issues, as a Content Delivery Network is supposed to solve issues like this, and in no way should be the consumers issue that they are located accross too many hops. Other channels handle the hops fine, so a poor designed channel if it is the hops, should accomidate it, a ROKU box rebooting and doing the ROKU bounce because of a hop issues is absurd, thats application instability due to whatever reason may be, it should be handled by the application, the ROKU rebooting is due to a fault in the application and/or ROKU OS, but since it is predominent in the HBO App, I would point the finger at the CHANNEL. I should be able to at anytime, unplug my ethernet cable and the box should state lost internet, or the movie stop, not have it APP-Fault and reboot itself, try that, HBO GO does not reboot the ROKU, it stops hence it is something else, ie. Memory leak, application errors?

Neither the Roku nor the channel (or CDN) have control over the number of hops between you and the CDN, so it's definitely not the result of a "poor design." That's ENTIRELY an ISP/user issue. There's nothing that can be done to control that on our end, period.

Not to put too finer a point on it, your router/network is the cause of the problem. Your connection TO the CDN is the problem. Roku nor the channel can fix a network issue such as this. That's up to you and your ISP.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby BobBreton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
BobBreton wrote:If it is a CDN thing as you state, then HBO GO has issues, as a Content Delivery Network is supposed to solve issues like this, and in no way should be the consumers issue that they are located accross too many hops. Other channels handle the hops fine, so a poor designed channel if it is the hops, should accomidate it, a ROKU box rebooting and doing the ROKU bounce because of a hop issues is absurd, thats application instability due to whatever reason may be, it should be handled by the application, the ROKU rebooting is due to a fault in the application and/or ROKU OS, but since it is predominent in the HBO App, I would point the finger at the CHANNEL. I should be able to at anytime, unplug my ethernet cable and the box should state lost internet, or the movie stop, not have it APP-Fault and reboot itself, try that, HBO GO does not reboot the ROKU, it stops hence it is something else, ie. Memory leak, application errors?

Neither the Roku nor the channel (or CDN) have control over the number of hops between you and the CDN, so it's definitely not the result of a "poor design." That's ENTIRELY an ISP/user issue. There's nothing that can be done to control that on our end, period.

Not to put too finer a point on it, your router/network is the cause of the problem. Your connection TO the CDN is the problem. Roku nor the channel can fix a network issue such as this. That's up to you and your ISP.

C. Shawn Smith

If that was the case, when I try and go to GOOGLE.com in my browser, the fact that Googles Servers are on the west coast and I am on the East coast, if a connection is too slow, disconnects, or has too many HOPS, the browser will simply LOCK up, and my computer will restart, purely this is a problem with my router and there is nothing Google can do to locate their servers in a closer or wider area and make it available (A CDN) or my Browser is not poorly written to just show a 404, or 500 error Thats not the browser its my network because everyone lives in a perfect world where the CDN is great, there are few HOPS and there is no need to make a fault tolerant application (CHANNEL) or OS (ROKU) that does not simply shut down and restart when a network issue arrises. Sounds like denial of a known problem that nobody has an answer for. Next thing my iPHONE will shutdown and restart when I lose 3G (Not apples fault, its my carrier AT&T) Right? If that was also the case SAMSUNG would make a better Android phone to handle the fact that Apples restart when they are too far from a CELL Tower maybe too many HOPS? Maybe it only occurs on my iPHONE when I browse HBO GO, but everything else works on the iPHONE, I would then say the fact that my iPHONE reboots when HBO GO is experiencing netwrok issues is not my CARRIER AT&T but is the problem two fold: 1) APPLE for not handling the fault and requiring my device to restart (Power Down) and the HBO Go (For actually not handling the carrier issue of being over too many HOPS)
Last edited by BobBreton on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobBreton

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:26 pm

A browser connecting to a website and a Roku connecting to a content provider's CDN are two ENTIRELY different things.

To put it in perspective, this EXACTLY happens when playing a video in a browser on a computer (such as Netflix) if you have a bad hop to the CDN. You can also have a bad stream that will cause this very same problem.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby BobBreton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:27 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:A browser connecting to a website and a Roku connecting to a content provider's CDN are two ENTIRELY different things.

To put it in perspective, this EXACTLY happens when playing a video in a browser on a computer (such as Netflix) if you have a bad hop to the CDN. You can also have a bad stream that will cause this very same problem.

C. Shawn Smith

It Does the Computers OS shuts down, and reboots the system when there is a bad HOP or the video just stops? Currently the NETFLIX CHANNEL on Roku just stops, CRACKLE, HULU just stop, they do not cause the ROKU to power down, restart and reboot. That is two fold, ROKU OS for not handling the exception and HBO GO for causing the exception.

PS. While watching from my PC it never locks my browser, and my screen never goes black and Windows Does not restart magically by itself, but I suppose maybe it should because thats how ROKU handles a bad hop or two?
Last edited by BobBreton on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobBreton

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion