New Channel: Gmail summary and facebook feed in Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

New Channel: Gmail summary and facebook feed in Roku

Postby baijupaul » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:15 am

The RokuRocket channel is still under developement and is available for limited trials.
Features currently available:
* GMAIL summary of latest messages.
* Facebook updates, including status updates and pictures

Private channel:
https://owner.roku.com/add/rokurocket

Channel is under active developement and hence is buggy. Feedback is welcome. Please be gentle.
baijupaul

Re: New Channel: Gmail summary and facebook feed in Roku

Postby catastrophegirl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 am

ooh, sounds useful!
i am eager to test this out later.
due to your description, i think it's best if i hold off releasing this on my channel list, but please let me know when you want to share it with the general public so i can publish it.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby baijupaul » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:49 pm

Dear catastrophegirl,
The channel is very stable and is working flawlessly for one week. Please go ahead, try it out and publish.
baijupaul

Postby catastrophegirl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:03 pm

thanks. i tried testing it right after you put it up but was unable to get it to work so i figured it needed a little more time. will test it again
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby baijupaul » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:45 am

Dear catastrophegirl,
An issue have caused some of the subscribers to not get their gmails in rokurocket. The issue is that the e-mail address that the subscriber entered manually was different from the gmail account that was authorized. This mismatch prevented the server from accessing the mails. This issue has affected only a small number of subscribers. Looking at the server logs, you might have affected, but it not possible to say for sure.
To make rokurocket more reliable, going forward, the e-mail address will be automatically obtained after the account is authorized. This means that even if the subscriber inputs an incorrect e-mail, the server will be able to fetch the mail.
As a future enahancement, the subscriber would not have to input the e-mail address. This is a work in progress.

Please try out rokurocket once more. You will have to authorize for gmail again.
baijupaul

Postby buenafe » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Is our gmail password safe to enter in this channel?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
current: two roku XDS 2xs, dtvpal, boxeebox, kylo.tv,
radar: wdlxtv.com
buenafe

Postby baijupaul » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 pm

When you link your gmail and facebook account with rokurocket, you will notice that the password is asked for by google and facebook and not by rokurocket. You are allowing google and facebook to share information with rokurocket.rokurocket does not have access to your passwords.

This way of authorization is called oauth and you can read more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth

In addition to the password being safe, this also give you the option to revoke the authorization at any time. To revoke the authorization, go to https://www.google.com/settings/security and then Edit Authorizing application and sites. rokuroket is 23.21.82.21
baijupaul

Postby baijupaul » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:33 am

GMAIL signup is now simplfied to one click. There is no need to type in the e-mail address anymore.
baijupaul

Postby RickRansom » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:15 pm

LoL. I tried activating the channel through my android phone and it almost instantly got to my FB account in a matter of seconds.
The interface is simplistic[which I like] but the lay-out doesn't quite attract me that much[at least not yet].

Just curious, how many posts can the channel show at a time? Is it limited to a specific number?
I tried going through some older posts and the channel seems to slow down after some time. I tried the official roku facebook app and it doesn't run into this situation. Running off a Roku 2, 4.8 1184. I see you posted the IP of the app[or server for your app] and haven't tried to DMZ that from my end. You think that would help?
Retired
RickRansom

Postby baijupaul » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:58 am

Dear RickRansom,
Thank you for your very valuable comments.

The layout for facebook will be improved over time. The current layout attempts to get a balance between the picture size, the font size for watching on the TV and also the emount of text that could be displayed.

For facebook, about 15 of the recents posts will be displayed. This is to ensure that the news is always fresh. It is expected that the users will check the channel multiple times a day. For gmail, 16 mail summary would be displayed.

The slowness you experienced was due to server load. Steps are now takens to improve the speed and additional steps will be taken in the future. Please try out the channel to see if the speed has improved.
baijupaul

Postby baijupaul » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:59 pm

Have suggestions for new features?
Use google moderator http://goo.gl/mod/9ChA to submit your feature requests or to vote on feature requests made by others.
baijupaul

Postby EnJayBe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Hello!

Would someone please tell me how to use the remote to navigate through my emails using the remote? Nothing actually scrolls the way that it seems that it should.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple,

Thanks in advance!
EnJayBe

Postby kidzrback » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:45 am

EnJayBe wrote:Hello!

Would someone please tell me how to use the remote to navigate through my emails using the remote? Nothing actually scrolls the way that it seems that it should.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple,

Thanks in advance!

I have the same problem. Is this only to view the summary of your gmail?
kidzrback

Postby EnJayBe » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:02 am

All I'm able to see is the list of messages. I can't navigate within the list or open emails.

I also can't see anything related to FB
EnJayBe

Postby baijupaul » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:52 am

Browsing through individual mails is currently not supported. It is only the GMAIL summary that is supported in the current release. Please vote for the feature using google moderator. If there is sufficient interest, such a feature will be implemented.
https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1fd29b

For facebook, both summary and detailed posts are supported. If you have signed up for facebook, and still do not see facebook in ROKU , please PM me with your gmail address and I will take a look.
baijupaul

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion