roku without remote

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

roku without remote

Postby jc924 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:04 pm

I imagine that there is no solution to this problem. We are on vacation and brought our Roku. The problem is that we forgot the remote. I downloaded an android remote app but it won't work. In order for it to work, it has to find the Roku on the network, but to get the Roku to sign in to the network, you need a remote to go to Settings. Any ideas?
jc924

Re: roku without remote

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:10 pm

jc924 wrote:I imagine that there is no solution to this problem. We are on vacation and brought our Roku. The problem is that we forgot the remote. I downloaded an android remote app but it won't work. In order for it to work, it has to find the Roku on the network, but to get the Roku to sign in to the network, you need a remote to go to Settings. Any ideas?

If you've got a Walmart, Target, or electronics store nearby, you can pick up a universal remote that supports the Roku - all the Harmony brand remotes do, as far as I know.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Trayf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 am

I just did the exact same thing a week ago. The end result was that I watched less TV than I otherwise would have probably watched.
Trayf

Postby FX4 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Do you have an ipad or Touch? They both have Roku remote apps. So does Android.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:46 pm

FX4 wrote:Do you have an ipad or Touch? They both have Roku remote apps. So does Android.

But you can't connect the Roku to your wireless network without a remote, so you can't use those apps unless you're already connected.
mikebdoss

Postby FX4 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:26 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
FX4 wrote:Do you have an ipad or Touch? They both have Roku remote apps. So does Android.

But you can't connect the Roku to your wireless network without a remote, so you can't use those apps unless you're already connected.

But you can plug it into a wired network for setup. I don't remember if it defaults to wired if it can't connect to wireless but I do recall I forgot the remote at my house in PA and was able to get it going via hooking it to the wired network. Can't recall if I had to do a hard reset. I got on the router and grabbed the IP address.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby FX4 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:36 pm

trekkeriii wrote:

Only way that would work is if they went from one WIRED connection to another WIRED connection or from a WIRELESS connection with the same SSID and password to another WIRELESS with the same SSID and Password.

No. I do this stuff for a living. No. He just needs to be on the same subnet. As a matter of fact with the latest Roku iPad remote I think it will just go out and find any Rokus on the subnet. Some of the older remotes you had to enter the IP address.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby gonzotek » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:15 pm

The other option may be to reset it to factory and connect wired, if that's even possible (OP didn't mention model). Pirey, the author of DVPRemote has a good description of the conncetion options for a Roku 1, under the heading "HOW DO I CONFIGURE MY ROKU 1 IF I CAN’T USE MY INFRARED REMOTE CONTROL???":
http://claytongrafix.com/pirey4/apps/DV ... pport.html

trekkeriii has correctly described the options for a Roku 2/LT/new HD. Wired-to-wired, or wireless with same ssid. It's not the remote or the subnet that matters in this instance, but the simple fact that if the Roku isn't on the network yet, then a network remote can't connect. It's just the nature of the beast :)
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:18 pm

FX4 wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

But you can plug it into a wired network for setup. I don't remember if it defaults to wired if it can't connect to wireless but I do recall I forgot the remote at my house in PA and was able to get it going via hooking it to the wired network. Can't recall if I had to do a hard reset. I got on the router and grabbed the IP address.

I'm assuming the OP either doesn't have an ethernet cable, or doesn't have a Roku that has an ethernet connection. Either way, no go if wireless is your only option.
mikebdoss

Postby FX4 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:33 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
But you need to set the Roku to connect to the new SSID if on wireless or going from wired to Wireless. Roku won't connect otherwise. What you describe though is why WIRED to WIRED works (as well as Wireless to Wireless with same SSID and password), no need to make changes to the network settings. Trust me, I am Network+ certified myself and have forgotten my Roku remote as well. Got to set the Roku to connect to the subnet, first, basically.

I keep forgetting a lot of people only have the wireless units. I won't buy those units. This is just another reason.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby RickRansom » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 am

jc924 wrote:I downloaded an android remote app but it won't work. In order for it to work, it has to find the Roku on the network, but to get the Roku to sign in to the network, you need a remote to go to Settings. Any ideas?

If you remember the exact wireless settings in your original router, apply those configurations to the new router[where you're at right now] and hopefully the roku will connect to it.
Reference: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51165&p=347377#p347280
Retired
RickRansom

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion