Roku Wireless Network Security

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku Wireless Network Security

Postby Starfish » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:50 pm

I use a Roku N1000 which I connect to the internet through a Linksys WRT54G. This setup works perfectly provided my router security setting is turned completely off. The Roku N1000 will not connect to my wireless network when a password or any other security settings are activated.

I have tried a number of router security configurations but I cannot find a combination that my Roku player will accept. Is there a known issue with the Roku N1000 when used with a secured Linksys WRT54G router? Comments and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Starfish

Re: Roku Wireless Network Security

Postby kc8pql » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:05 am

I never had a problem with that router and my N1000 either. I have since upgraded to a newer model.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:04 am

Are you using a v6 or a v7 of the WRT54G line-up? Many people reported similar problems even in the Cisco/Linksys forums.
How about if you try a WPA Personal + TKIP setup?
+1 on the possible firmware issue. Check your GUI and see if it's using the latest firmware.
You can compare it from Cisco's page here.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby dgrace » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:13 pm

I ran mine on that same router, same roku and had no problems. I was using wpa for security. I have since changed routers to a Dlink dir-655 for the "N" capabilities, but that old Linksys was a workhorse. I did turn off auto channel. I am a little rural so have no close neighbors to add conflict.
PS Mine was a v7 model, for what its worth.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Postby Starfish » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:53 pm

I couldn't pinpoint the cause of this problem but I found a way around it. The Roku firmware is up to date but the WRT54G router is version 4.71.4. That may account for the Roku will-not-connect problem. At any rate, I changed the router setup from WEP to WPA2 Personal + TKIP-AES. After that, I was able to connect the Roku ( using a 10-digit WPA security key).

This suggests the Roku N1000 (when used with a Linksys WRT54G router) is not compatible with the WEP protocol. WPA appears to be the solution to problems of this nature. However, firmware and other issues could also be a factor. Wireless networks never cease to be a challenge! My advice to others with wireless connections: If it works, don't try to explain it!
Starfish

Postby RickRansom » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:56 pm

Starfish wrote:My advice to others with wireless connections: If it works, don't try to explain it!
Sounds good!
But just out of curiousity, did you use the WEP Key 1 or the passphrase from the Linksys router setup page?
Retired
RickRansom

Postby radiocolin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Good security move anyway. WEP is trivial to crack and is just about as good as not having security at all.
radiocolin

Postby Starfish » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:25 am

RickRansom wrote:Sounds good! But just out of curiousity, did you use the WEP Key 1 or the passphrase from the Linksys router setup page?

Rick,

Your initial post was very helpful. It called my attention to the WPA option. I tried the WEP passphrase with no results. However, I did not try the 26-character WEP key. As far as I can tell, a 10-character WEP key is not an option. I also tried a WPA passphrase with no results.

I then setup a 10-character WPA key which worked with no problem whatsoever! With previous routers, a passphrase worked very well for Roku purposes. However, for reasons unknown to me, my present setup requires a WPA key which I believe can be 10 or 26 characters.
Last edited by Starfish on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starfish

Postby Starfish » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:50 am

radiocolin wrote:Good security move anyway. WEP is trivial to crack and is just about as good as not having security at all.

This is probably irrelevant, but entirely by chance I found setup instructions for the WRT54G posted online by Columbia University IT. For whatever reason, they recommend use of the WEP protocol. If interested, follow this link (see step 6): http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/a ... index.html
Starfish

Postby RickRansom » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:14 am

Glad to know it's all working fine now. I've had a 54G from Linksys from a few years back which died out on me. That router lasted for about 3+ years so I thought I'd give Linksys another try.

I'm now using an E3000 and have been glad I made that choice!
The good thing about this router is that it has a "guest network" so I don't have to worry about guests trying to access my printer since they'll be connected to a different network entirely.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Starfish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 am

RickRansom wrote:I'm now using an E3000 and have been glad I made that choice!

Thanks for the tip on the E3000! My WRT54G is actually a "fill in" for a Linksys X2000 which recently succumbed to a nearby lightening strike. Everything else survived with no-harm-done but wireless routers seem to be extra sensitive to electromagnetic interference. I plan to take a serious look at the E3000; but in the meanwhile, the WRT54G is working as advertised!
Starfish

Postby RickRansom » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Starfish wrote:My WRT54G is actually a "fill in" for a Linksys X2000 which recently succumbed to a nearby lightening strike........I plan to take a serious look at the E3000; but in the meanwhile, the WRT54G is working as advertised!
Ah! The X2000 is a good gateway[modem+router]! The E3000 is still good for today's standards, but if you're willing to shell out a few extra bucks for a router, you might be interested with the latest models they're offering. I'm still waiting for my wife to budge so we can upgrade to an EA4500 but she says it's still to pricey even if we get the refurb A.K.A. "REMODELLED" version of it for $120. Gue'ss I'll have to wait for the router to go bananas. Or, I can try flashing it with a DDWRT firmware... Hmmmm.. :mrgreen:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Starfish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:45 pm

RickRansom wrote: The X2000 is a good gateway[modem+router]

After buying the Linksy X2000, I discovered it will work as a gateway (modem+router) only if you have a DSL connection. I use Cable so I was never able to test or use the gateway (modem+router) feature of the Linksys X2000.

I also have a new, unused Linksys WET610N, "wireless gaming and video adapter" which I assume does the same thing as a Roku player. I'm uncertain about the best use for the WET610N. My Roku player is working as advertised; but now, use of the WET610N is a Roku-related concern. Comments and suggestions are invited.
Starfish

Postby gonzotek » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:44 pm

Starfish wrote:
RickRansom wrote: The X2000 is a good gateway[modem+router]

After buying the Linksy X2000, I discovered it will work as a gateway (modem+router) only if you have a DSL connection. I use Cable so I was never able to test or use the gateway (modem+router) feature of the Linksys X2000.

I also have a new, unused Linksys WET610N, "wireless gaming and video adapter" which I assume does the same thing as a Roku player. I'm uncertain about the best use for the WET610N. My Roku player is working as advertised; but now, use of the WET610N is a Roku-related concern. Comments and suggestions are invited.

The WET610N is a wireless bridge, a device that will talk to your router wirelessly and provide a wired connection to network devices that aren't capable of wireless connections themselves, like older game systems and some blu-ray players and tvs. Not really anything to do with a Roku, since all Roku's have built-in wireless.

Although, one thing I've done in the past was to connect a wireless bridge to a 4-port switch, for a bedroom where I had a TiVo, Roku, and desktop pc. This was a Roku 1 and rather than fiddle with the wireless setup on it, I just connected it to the switch I was already using for the two other non-wireless devices. Everything worked very reliably, although I eventually replaced each of the components for other reasons and didn't need the setup anymore.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:02 pm

Starfish wrote:I also have a new, unused Linksys WET610N, "wireless gaming and video adapter" which I assume does the same thing as a Roku player. I'm uncertain about the best use for the WET610N. My Roku player is working as advertised; but now, use of the WET610N is a Roku-related concern. Comments and suggestions are invited.

I have a WET610N too! I use it to boost the wireless performance of my PS3. Before, I used to have drop-outs with the wireless connection when playing games on my PS3. I didn't have switches lined up in my home before, so a better wireless-N adapter was what I did to compensate for the B/G adapter on the PS3.
Retired
RickRansom

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion