How do you watch ESPN?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How do you watch ESPN?

Postby hkrn44 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:12 am

I've read a few posts on this forum about how to watch ESPN but they all are older posts. I was wondering if there were any tips on how to watch NFL games? This would be the one thing keeping me from buying the ROKU playing and cutting the cord with cable. Can anyone give me some advice, or tricks of how to watch NFL games and/or ESPN? Thanks!
hkrn44

Re: How do you watch ESPN?

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 am

hkrn44 wrote:I've read a few posts on this forum about how to watch ESPN but they all are older posts. I was wondering if there were any tips on how to watch NFL games? This would be the one thing keeping me from buying the ROKU playing and cutting the cord with cable. Can anyone give me some advice, or tricks of how to watch NFL games and/or ESPN? Thanks!

There's no way to watch ESPN on Roku. ESPN would have to make a channel.

You can still buy and use a Roku without cutting cable, though. You don't need to get rid of one to use the other.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby FX4 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:25 am

Espn 3 is available depending on your ISP. First find out if your ISP subscribes. You need one of the transcoders like Plex to get it on Roku. ESPN, ESPN2, etc are not available on Roku or legally streaming at all.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby Buckeye911 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:01 am

hkrn44 wrote:I've read a few posts on this forum about how to watch ESPN but they all are older posts. I was wondering if there were any tips on how to watch NFL games? This would be the one thing keeping me from buying the ROKU playing and cutting the cord with cable. Can anyone give me some advice, or tricks of how to watch NFL games and/or ESPN? Thanks!

You can watch ESPN with the private channel USTVNow. It costs $19/month for the first three months and $29/month thereafter to subscribe. You get ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, My9, A&E, Animal Planet, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, ESPN, Food Network, FX, Fox News, History, Lifetime, National Geographic, Nickelodeon, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TNT, and USA. You can watch on your Roku, computer, and phone. When you sign up it will tell you it's only for those outside the United States but it does work here as well. I use it abroad and here at home as well. If you want to pay a little more you can get DVR service as well.
Buckeye911

Postby vnzjunk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am

FX4 wrote:Espn 3 is available depending on your ISP. First find out if your ISP subscribes. You need one of the transcoders like Plex to get it on Roku. ESPN, ESPN2, etc are not available on Roku or legally streaming at all.

ESPN3 generally doesn't have NFL football that I know of. At least I don't recall seeing it in the schedules for that channel. I think it is pretty much an ESPN1 program offering.
vnzjunk

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am

And for that $19/month, you'll get unreliable streams, questionable legality, and have to break the company's TOS to watch in the US.
mikebdoss

Postby FX4 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 am

vnzjunk wrote:
FX4 wrote:Espn 3 is available depending on your ISP. First find out if your ISP subscribes. You need one of the transcoders like Plex to get it on Roku. ESPN, ESPN2, etc are not available on Roku or legally streaming at all.

ESPN3 generally doesn't have NFL football that I know of. At least I don't recall seeing it in the schedules for that channel. I think it is pretty much an ESPN1 program offering.

No it does not.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby FX4 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:55 am

mikebdoss wrote:And for that $19/month, you'll get unreliable streams, questionable legality, and have to break the company's TOS to watch in the US.

And poor picture quality. For grins I started a trial. Underwhelmed to say the least. It does work though. The streams seem reliable. If you travel a lot, probably worth while. A cable replacement, probably better off just purchasing basic cable.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby JimMadsen » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:47 pm

I did a Xbox Live trial last night for a month. Looks pretty good so far, we shall see how the quality is when the college football games start this weekend
JimMadsen

Postby DBDukes » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:11 am

JimMadsen wrote:I did a Xbox Live trial last night for a month. Looks pretty good so far, we shall see how the quality is when the college football games start this weekend

Used ESPN3 (or whatever its called now) via Xbox last season, and it worked great. The only issues I encountered were some games were blacked out. And, I couldn't determine where to find out ahead of time if it was blacked out. Using UGA for instance, some games were not blacked out at all. One or two were blacked about all across the state. Even one game was blacked across multiple states. I never saw a nationwide blackout, though; I expect those wouldn't even be on ESPN3.

MLB has a blackout coverage map that tells me where all I can't watch the Braves live, for example, but there's no such thing for NCAA games, at least, not that I could find.

Bottom line: ESPN via Xbox worked great, and occasional blackouts are a pain.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby kc8pql » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 am

ESPN3 works fine for me using Plex.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby cynicalflyer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 am

What kind of quality do you get with Plex vs. XBox Live? Does college football (my real interest) look like 8-bit blocks running back and forth on a big green screen (ala Tecmo Bowl)?
cynicalflyer

Postby vnzjunk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:36 am

DBDukes wrote:
JimMadsen wrote:I did a Xbox Live trial last night for a month. Looks pretty good so far, we shall see how the quality is when the college football games start this weekend

Used ESPN3 (or whatever its called now) via Xbox last season, and it worked great. The only issues I encountered were some games were blacked out. And, I couldn't determine where to find out ahead of time if it was blacked out. Using UGA for instance, some games were not blacked out at all. One or two were blacked about all across the state. Even one game was blacked across multiple states. I never saw a nationwide blackout, though; I expect those wouldn't even be on ESPN3.

MLB has a blackout coverage map that tells me where all I can't watch the Braves live, for example, but there's no such thing for NCAA games, at least, not that I could find.

Bottom line: ESPN via Xbox worked great, and occasional blackouts are a pain.

Most of the ESPN blackout situations I have encountered went something like this. If the game was being carried by the OTA networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX in your area......then the local stations have the local rites to show the game and you would be blacked out of the ESPN broadcast. If a local network channel is not broadcasting the game and it is available on one of the ESPN channels you should be able to watch it there. That may be just a generalization but I think you will find it an easy way to determine the blackouts for the NCAA games.
vnzjunk

Postby vnzjunk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:45 am

As for ESPN3 programming I seem to find that MOST of the stuff that I am interested in watching that is listed for cable tv broadcast on ESPN2 shows up on ESPN3. And on top of that, ESPN3 carries a lot more that may not be shown in your ESPN2 channel. In fact they have pretty much incorporated the old ESPN College Game Plan football nationwide coverage which used to be a pay service on cable and satellite systems giving you most of the games shown on ESPN across the country. Most of these if not all are now available on ESPN3. Of course there is no ESPN3 on cable so this is the way to get those games if you have 3 available to you. Not so much for ESPN1 and ESPN3 simulcasting the same programing although
vnzjunk

Postby vnzjunk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am

Buckeye911 wrote:

You can watch ESPN with the private channel USTVNow. It costs $19/month for the first three months and $29/month thereafter to subscribe. You get ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, My9, A&E, Animal Planet, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, ESPN, Food Network, FX, Fox News, History, Lifetime, National Geographic, Nickelodeon, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TNT, and USA. You can watch on your Roku, computer, and phone. When you sign up it will tell you it's only for those outside the United States but it does work here as well. I use it abroad and here at home as well. If you want to pay a little more you can get DVR service as well.

Makes me wonder if you geolock authorized it while out of the country and it just followed you home or did you set it up here in the states?
vnzjunk

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion