Roku 2 HD with SD card

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 2 HD with SD card

Postby kameleon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:31 am

I was wondering if I could load some of my movies in supported formats on the SD card in my Roku 2 HD and be able to play them from there. Or is the SD card slot ONLY for channel storage? The reason I am asking is I am wanting to put the roku in our van loaded up with some movies for a long trip. Obviously I won't have internet service so local storage will be needed. I don't want to have to but the XS just to have USB storage but if that's the only way.....
kameleon

Re: Roku 2 HD with SD card

Postby MazeWizzard » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:02 am

If it has a USB port on the box, try a flash drive to play your home movies. I think that's an option.

See this thread for discussion on the micro SD card and what it's used for:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51557

Youtube link for demo of USB functions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoQcNYKO22s
MazeWizzard

Postby Mark12547 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 am

Sorry, the SD card is used exclusively for holding channel code and game code.

If you want to copy movies to removable media for playing through the Roku, you would need the USB port and a thumb drive. Note that there are only limited number of video formats supported by the Roku when played through the USB port.
Mark12547

Postby kameleon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:34 pm

I do have an android phone, galaxy nexus, but my plan is just regular straight talk so its limited to around 2gb. That would be enough for maybe one movie. I also have an older "netgear roku" but it doesn't have a USB port either. So I'm stuck with either finding a way to mount my Acer a500 to the van or get a roku 2 xs.
kameleon

Postby kameleon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:19 pm

trekkeriii wrote:I think the cheapest option is a cheap DVD player and some cheap DVDs.

We currently have a fold down DVD player. That is what I was going to input the roku to. Another reason I wanted the roku is no discs to lose. With small kids that's a huge plus. I can just budget for a xs and be done. Thanks for clarifying the SD card use.
kameleon

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion