How much does the DOGTV channel cost?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How much does the DOGTV channel cost?

Postby DaBronx » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:03 pm

I see the DOGTV channel in the channel store but there is no information on the cost.

I added the channel and watched the two free videos but when I go to "main programming" I get a pop-up asking "Would you like to subscribe to DOGTV?"

It does not mention the cost so I clicked cancel, When I go to their website (http://www.dogtv.com) there is no information on the channel being available on the Roku or how much it costs to subscribe. Not clicking on "upgrade" to subscribe until I know how much. All other pay channels I have seen do disclose the cost, this one does not.

Anyone know how much?

Peace

brett
40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, Roku2 wireless, Roku XR-HD, 300 mb TWC broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Re: How much does the DOGTV channel cost?

Postby TheEndless » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:10 pm

I have a PIN set up for purchases, so I went ahead and clicked "upgrade" to see. It looks like it's $9.99/month. I assume there's some way to confirm the purchase before it auto-bills you if you don't have a PIN setup, but they really should be required to show the price in the channel somewhere.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby DaBronx » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:25 pm

TheEndless wrote:I have a PIN set up for purchases, so I went ahead and clicked "upgrade" to see. It looks like it's $9.99/month. I assume there's some way to confirm the purchase before it auto-bills you if you don't have a PIN setup, but they really should be required to show the price in the channel somewhere.

Thank you and I agree that price for a channel should be disclosed before the subscribe option is clicked.

Was hoping for around $5.00 to try for my little buddy, a King Charles Cavalier and my best friend in the whole world. But then I might enjoy zoning out and watching it too.

Peace

brett
40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, Roku2 wireless, Roku XR-HD, 300 mb TWC broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby RickRansom » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:44 pm

TheEndless wrote:It looks like it's $9.99/month.
That's a steep price for a single channel, seeing that all the other channels* just cost around $4.99/mo.
I won't tell you or anybody else how to spend your money, but in my opinion $9.99 might just be too much for a signle channel.

*I'm referring to the cost of the channel, not the content/category which it belongs to.

Let me try it out a bit since you mentioned that there were some free videos. I'm might be expecting too much[something like Dog Whisperer from NatGeo].
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Buckeye911 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:03 pm

From the FAQ at dogtv.com. "How much will DOGTV cost? DOGTV is a pay channel. The monthly cost is approx $4.99/month (or $9.99 for the online streaming service)."
http://dogtv.com/Faq

It's incredible to me that it's $2/month more than Netflix or Hulu+. I don't think they'll sell many subscriptions.
Buckeye911

Postby castalla » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr .... woof, woof ........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
castalla

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:50 am

Ignoring the obvious FORUM GUIDELINE VIOLATION post above mine:

DaBronx, I'll poke engineering and QA tomorrow to see if this can be addressed.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby DaBronx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:00 am

RokuShawnS wrote:DaBronx, I'll poke engineering and QA tomorrow to see if this can be addressed.

C. Shawn Smith

Thank you Shawn.

Forum member TheEndless (RokuChris?) checked and it looks like a $9.99 per month subscription fee. They just need to add the cost to their channel description page, it looks like it launched on Roku last Thursday.

If it was $4.99 or less I would give it a whirl for a month, Walley (my dog, "Walley Tamale") is probably tired of watching 5 and a half hour Yankee-Red Sox game archives that put on for him when I leave. He doesn't root for any team, he just roots for the ball.

Peace
DaBronx

Postby TheEndless » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:01 am

DaBronx wrote:TheEndless (RokuChris?)

Nope. nowhereman is RokuChris. I'm just Steve.. ;)
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby DaBronx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:20 am

TheEndless wrote:
DaBronx wrote:TheEndless (RokuChris?)

Nope. nowhereman is RokuChris. I'm just Steve.. ;)

Thank you Steve. I do appreciate that you checked for me.

Can't tell the players without a scorecard.

Peace

brett
DaBronx

Postby DaBronx » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:Ignoring the obvious FORUM GUIDELINE VIOLATION post above mine:

C. Shawn Smith

Shawn,

Any word from engineering or QA?

Still no cost revealed until after you click to subscribe.

The channel thumbnail tile is very misleading as it is labeled "DOGTV Free" and never mentions that there is a charge for the channel other than one very short free video and a free introduction video for humans.

Thank you.

Peace

brett
DaBronx

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:28 pm

DaBronx wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:Ignoring the obvious FORUM GUIDELINE VIOLATION post above mine:

C. Shawn Smith

Shawn,

Any word from engineering or QA?

Still no cost revealed until after you click to subscribe.

The channel thumbnail tile is very misleading as it is labeled "DOGTV Free" and never mentions that there is a charge for the channel other than one very short free video and a free introduction video for humans.

Thank you.

Peace

brett

QA is aware of it, as of the day I posted. I haven't heard anything back since then, however.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby jeffrok » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:32 pm

$9.99 is way too much to charge a dog for a Roku channel. My dog is retired and has very little in the way of income!

But seriously, who is going to pay $9.99 for a channel that nobody can know for sure is benefitting their dog?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby DBDukes » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 am

jeffrok wrote:$9.99 is way too much to charge a dog for a Roku channel. My dog is retired and has very little in the way of income!

But seriously, who is going to pay $9.99 for a channel that nobody can know for sure is benefitting their dog?

A lot of pet-related merchandise and services aren't really for the pets, but for the pet owners. They have a feeling of satisfaction that they are doing something good for the pet. And, if it isn't harmful to the pet, and isn't deceitful in how it's presented to the owner, then no harm. Kinda like a placebo.

Then, again, I don't have an indoor pet. Except the fish. Hmmm. FishTV? Can that be far behind?
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby DaBronx » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 am

DBDukes wrote: FishTV? Can that be far behind?

You can just buy the aquarium screen saver for $1.99 and use that for the fish. No recurring monthly charge for the channel!

Peace

brett
DaBronx

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion