New Roku 2 XS. Cannot connect to internet using wired option

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

New Roku 2 XS. Cannot connect to internet using wired option

Postby deeprambo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 am

Ok this is driving me crazy. I have an older model roku xr and it works fine using a wired cable connection. I use the wired because it gives me better quality.

so I bought the new Roku 2 XS yesterday and tried to connect and run through the setup. At first it connected through the wired option and updated its software and rebooted. After it rebooted, it would complain "cant connect to local network" error code 013.

I can use the wireless option fine on this new box and download channells and watch netflix but I cannot connect using the wired option. I have checked 10 times that the cable is good. It works on my Roku XR player and my laptop. I have rebooted my att dsl modem and the player a few times. I also did a reset and started process again but this little stupid thing cannot connect using the cable.

I have also disabled the firewall on my att router.

appreciate if some one can help.
deeprambo

Re: New Roku 2 XS. Cannot connect to internet using wired op

Postby deeprambo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:06 am

Yes I tried a different cable. the same cable works without any issue on my older roku box and laptop
deeprambo

Postby deeprambo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:52 am

I didnt see any mac address filtering in the att router for wired connections. weird thing is that if I plug my older roku box, it works fine without any hickups.
deeprambo

Postby FX4 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:09 am

I would go back to the cable. Just because a cable works with one device does not mean it will work with another. I have slowly had to replace all my old Cat5 cables with Cat5E or Cat6 to keep things running smoothly as I have upgraded equipment. The folded patch cables supplied with Roku have mostly been bad in my experience. The folding they do to get them in the box messes up the twists and you end up with cross talk between the pairs.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby deeprambo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:33 am

I havent checked if any link lights come up. but will check and update everyone.
deeprambo

Postby microlady » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 pm

deeprambo wrote:I didnt see any mac address filtering in the att router for wired connections. weird thing is that if I plug my older roku box, it works fine without any hickups.

I don't know your exact setup of modem/router and Roku and what is entered in your Settings for these devices so right now I only have some thoughts from what I have read in this topic.

Old Roku XR works fine wired.
New Roku 2 XS on wired.....can't connect to Local Network. But works fine on wireless.

I think I got the gist on the old XR that you have tried it wireless and it works wireless okay.

It sounds to me as though your wired connection may still be using your XR Mac address for a wired connection. When trying to ping the Local Network, if it is trying to use the XR Mac and not the new XS Mac...that may be the problem.

If you stepped through what you did to set up the old XR wired...maybe you can see if any of the setup information is from the old XR but should be from the new XS.

Just a thought...without knowing the equipment you have..it is frustrating to pinpoint what is happening.

Do you see your XS Mac address anywhere in your router setup?
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby deeprambo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:34 pm

microlady,
you might be right here. I did see 2 device on my router home network with the same name. one of them was inactive(dimmed)
deeprambo

Postby microlady » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:01 pm

deeprambo wrote:microlady,
you might be right here. I did see 2 device on my router home network with the same name. one of them was inactive(dimmed)

That's a start. Can you identify what the 2 devices are? Do you see their MAC addresses?
Is the same name Roku? or a name you set up?

By the way, I spent some time today on Google trying to look up this situation. There may not be answers here but if something here leads to an answer, it would be worth the time spent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Misc answers on the subject:

A person had this problem 6 months ago, tried an answer website but never solved it. He did say things like: Roku is ok if I plug the ethernet cable directly from a cable modem to the Roku. So it must be in the router settings (all this is about the XS Roku2). XS says it cannot connect to Local Network when using ethernet cable but he used an older Roku on the same router and cable and worked ok.

A look at the Manual shows Ethernet connected the XS to the Router connected to an open Ethernet Port on the Router. Also says about going into the Roku and switching to a wired connection). And also link XS to roku.com/link.

Another item spoke about a website that shows inner workings of the XS and a comment was made that: Roku should not have dropped the wired LAN connection as the default connection
as it was on previous models. (HERE I WONDERED if that is why everyone seems to agree that on older models there was no problem with the wired connection). Article also mentioned that Roku tech support said the XS can have problems with certain routers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I did learn is that your error code 013 is the wired error code for cannot connect to the local network.....,which matches the wireless error code of 014 for the same problem. One time I did have the wireless problem and found my fix by broadcasting my SSID so when Roku pinged my network ...it found it through the broadcasting.

So your code 013 IS being sent out through the wired connection. I understand this to be the Roku pinging a network and/or gateway and must receive a response or one gets this code.

I hope your discovery of the same name items listed in your network might be the start of a solution. I would think that even if one is inactive...it might still confuse the Roku. If you can find your XS in your router setup, that would be a start and if it is active and you do not need the one listed as inactive...maybe deleting the dimmed one would delete any possible confusion between the router and the Roku.

Anyway, I hope what you just found might cause other posters here to think of possible solutions as well as your checking out the steps taken to activate the XS as wired.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby deeprambo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:46 pm

I took the player to a families house and tried connecting on their tv using the wired method and same issue.

funny thing is that when I brought it home and plugged the ethernet cable again started the player. It connected the first time using the wired method but it never worked again. so I plugged my old box and will take this back and return it.
deeprambo

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion