This outta make Roku feel good.

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

This outta make Roku feel good.

Postby Crow550 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Review of the Co-Star: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-r ... 18529.html

Competition is a good thing and I had high hopes with the Co-Star but Google TV just doesn't have the functionality.

The only thing Roku really needs.... Is a better UI. ;)

Keep on rockin Roku!

Well ahem....Official YouTube and Spotify. :P
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Re: This outta make Roku feel good.

Postby DaBronx » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 pm

"While Google TV has some elements of a streaming-media box, it's limited compared with the $50 Roku LT. Streaming-media app support includes a few major services, including Netflix, Rhapsody, Pandora, Google Music, but the omissions are more notable. There are no dedicated apps for Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant, HBO, MLB.TV, Spotify -- not even Google's own TV and Movies rental service!"

Ouch!

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby callanish » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 am

In fairness from someone that owns the Roku and the Sony Google tv hardware, there are certain things catered for expats like myself that the Roku can't even come close to.

I have access to all U.K content ( bbc iplayer, itv player, TVcatchup,,channel 4, 5, etc ) through chrome allowing DNS proxy changes under setting allowing me to watch live and catchup viewing on the big screen. Also run Netflix U.K and Netflix U.S with nothing more than a settings switch. The slingplayer app also allows me to access U.K content through my slingbox. Running MP4, Mk3, Divx, etc. content allows me to run all my movies / tv shows through a NAS drive and I periodically connect a flash drive to it when playing torrent downloads on it that I just want to watch once and delete. I've also uploaded my entire music collection to google music running it through the app allowing me to listen to a ton of music through my home theater setup.

That's just the stuff off the top of my head. A full screen browser comes in handy I can tell you, so yes I'll agree that what the Roku does, it does very well, but the Google Tv hardware has uses that the Roku isn't anywhere near capable of doing and frankly I think Google TV gets a bum rap because it has tons of uses if you think outside of the box which most reviewers of it won't bother doing.

P.S Although more of a web link than an app, Amazon instant, HBOgo runs fine within Chrome and I have no problem buying and renting movies through YouTube. As a matter of fact, the Sony hardware came with 3 current up to date movies to get free from the YouTube video service.
callanish

Postby West Ham » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 am

DaBronx wrote:
"While Google TV has some elements of a streaming-media box, it's limited compared with the $50 Roku LT. Streaming-media app support includes a few major services, including Netflix, Rhapsody, Pandora, Google Music, but the omissions are more notable. There are no dedicated apps for Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant, HBO, MLB.TV, Spotify -- not even Google's own TV and Movies rental service!"

Ouch!

Peace

brett

Ouch what? You type those services into the browser and it pulls right up. GoogleTV having ESPN3/Fox Soccer 2GO makes it infinitely better than Roku. Oh and you can stream almost any file to it.

And the Amazon app is right in the picture! And MLBTV actually works on GTV.
West Ham

Postby philsoft » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 am

West Ham wrote:GoogleTV having ESPN3/Fox Soccer 2GO makes it infinitely better than Roku.

For some maybe, But ESPN3 and Fox Soccer are meaningless to me, where other channels might be more important to other folks. I don't see Google TV ever becoming the "Go To" device, but that is just my opinion.
philsoft

Postby West Ham » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 am

philsoft wrote:
West Ham wrote:GoogleTV having ESPN3/Fox Soccer 2GO makes it infinitely better than Roku.

For some maybe, But ESPN3 and Fox Soccer are meaningless to me, where other channels might be more important to other folks. I don't see Google TV ever becoming the "Go To" device, but that is just my opinion.

It can do everything Roku can do and a lot more. By all means have fun playing Angry Birds
West Ham

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:46 am

West Ham wrote:
philsoft wrote:

It can do everything Roku can do and a lot more. By all means have fun playing Angry Birds

Did you read the review? They're a different class of products. The GoogleTV is effectively a HTPC - a computer.But If I gave it to my 6-year-old daughter or 70-year-old mother, neither would be able to use it to see all the programming they want to see. Roku, however, works wonderfully for both of them, and me as well.
mikebdoss

Postby gonzotek » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 am

West Ham wrote:And the Amazon app is right in the picture! And MLBTV actually works on GTV.
From the article:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-r ... 529-2.html
And while the Co-Star appears to have a dedicated app for Amazon Instant -- there's even a direct-access button on the remote -- it merely brings you to Amazon.com in the Chrome browser.

I haven't tried the Co-Star, but do own a Logitech Revue, and have used it as recently as late summer. I use the Roku far, far more often for day-to-day internet streaming from services like Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, Mog, and Slacker. Since I have HBOGo, but on Comcast, I can't use that on the Roku. I've tried to use it via GoogleTV, but the picture coming over the browser is poor (at best) on my 60" screen: dark, pixelated and frequently frame-dropped. It also frequently crashes out of apps and even websites, so much so that I can't rely on it for any use at all when I have guests over and don't want to be fiddling with technical things.

I wanted to like GoogleTV (and still do), and I'm pretty pro-Google most of the time, but so far, it just isn't the system for me for streaming. If it works for you, great. But it (GoogleTV or the Co-Star) certainly doesn't meet all of the needs of everyone.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby philsoft » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

West Ham wrote:
philsoft wrote:

It can do everything Roku can do and a lot more.

So can a computer, but I don't want to use a computer to watch TV either. IMO it just will never be a Roku killer.
philsoft

Postby Crow550 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:55 pm

philsoft wrote:So can a computer, but I don't want to use a computer to watch TV either. IMO it just will never be a Roku killer.

Heh I use both and a PS3 for Blu-Rays. :D

As for Google TV. I dig Google products but I also know that not everything they do is great. At least they dip there toes in and try.

Is Google TV dead? Not yet but they really need to overhaul it. I mean the TVii thing with the new WiiU looks closer to what Google TV wanted to be. Will the TVii feature catch on? Well see.

As of now though Google TV hasn't wowed average consumers. It's also been proven that web browsers in TVs are niche. Most people use there Laptops, Tablets or phones.
Crow550

Postby KennyJ » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 pm

TVii on WiiU -- if it's as cool as the video they show -- is enough to make me buy a WiiU. It looks awesome.
KennyJ

Postby vnzjunk » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:14 pm

The article seems to strongly imply that there are 2 vital components to the equation and a failure or dismal offering in either one can sink the product. First is hardware. Bug free hardware. Without it no amount of content will make it shine as the content suffers if the hardware cannot deliver it properly. And of course the second part of the equation is the channel offerings. No matter how good the hardware is, if it cannot deliver the channels and content that the end user desires then what use is the hardware. Certain channels are fast becoming requisites to entertainment delivery via streaming. One can certainly argue in favor of one of them or another but I think most would agree that the Major Movie providers are a must. Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster, Redbox........all major players in movie distribution......and others. MLB, NFL, NBA, Soccer, Tennis, Motor Sports, Ultimate Fighting, Golf.......all the desired sports.
It is no secret what the customer desires. The question yet to be resolved.........Who will be the players that succeed in delivering it.

DaBronx wrote:

Ouch!

Peace

brett
vnzjunk

Postby zzxx » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:25 pm

It is time to stick a... the googles never has or never will stack up to Roku, never. Nexus? Child please. You need to get you a Roku. Period! PS. YouTubes can take a flying hike. Believe it or not,there are people who could care less about the YouTubes.
zzxx

Postby KennyJ » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:54 pm

zzxx wrote: Believe it or not,there are people who could care less about the YouTubes.

Or couldn't care less. :)
KennyJ

Postby arrowrand » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:25 am

Does Roku love a Google TV based Co-Star review that not only prominently mentions but also shows the Apple TV while mentioning the Roku in passing? I don't know that they would love that all.

I have a Logitech Revue that I actually wanted to love hooked up to the same TV as a Roku. I've almost always streamed everything through the Roku, but being a DirecTV subscriber I have to use HBO Go through Chrome on the Google TV. It works really well, though it is not as convenient as the Roku. My real love of the Google TV is for the TV & Movies app that allows me to search the TV schedule and my DVR recordings.

Prior to the Wii U announcement, I was going to be all in on the Co-Star, even though I knew for a fact that they wouldn't become my primary streamers for anything other than HBO Go. Then the Wii U announcement came along and they demoed Wii TVii and its i.TV integration. Suddenly, my main love of the Google TV experience is coming to the Wii U, and I already had plans for 2 of those.

I'm all Google all the time. My tablets are Android tablets, my phones are Android phones, my email, office suite, calendar and mapping solutions are all Google. I have always used Chrome on my computers since release, and I'm typing this on my Google ChromeOS based Chromebook. I love Google. The Google TV? Not so much. I'm still going to buy one, but I'll hold off on the other 3 that I wanted until I see Wii TVii on the Wii U in action.
ROKU 1, Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 XD, HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 & Chromecast - 37" LCD
ROKU HD & Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion