Difference Between Roku 2 XD and Roku XD

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Difference Between Roku 2 XD and Roku XD

Postby zzxx » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Roku 1 owners need to face the fact that the time has come to upgrade to Roku 2. It hurts, as I have upgraded to Roku XS from the Roku 1 XD. If you still want to hang in there and believe that the Roku 1 will deliver, there is a bridge, it escapes me at this very moment, oh yes, it is the the Brooklyn Bridge that has been on sale time to time.
zzxx

Postby todd95008 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:24 am

mikeyts wrote:
The nominal speed of your network service is an upper limit which does not guarantee any particular average speed to any arbitrary site. There could be a lot of traffic on the path between you and the Netflix server you get assigned to.

Yes, I think my first test was a victim of Netflix getting bogged down ??
I tried your test movie Ong Bak 2 and went to a scene with bright high contrast.
I could not SEE a difference between the stereo & DD 5.1+.
Went back and tried my original Scandal TV show and still could not see any difference.
Went over to AVS forum where there is a PS3 page and saw a Netflix test clip "example short 24.976".
You want the one with nothing else in the title since there are several.
This clip has an overlay that changes with each bitrate & resolution and is in several languages both stereo & mono only.
After about 20 seconds I ramp up to 4800kb/sec & 1920 x 1080 (Yes sir !!).
If I change the roku to 720p output it stops at 3600kb & 720p resolution so Netflix is looking at what your Roku 2 XS is set for.
The video short has a cross hatch test pattern near the end that really pops when it switches to 1080p.
I'll try a few more tests as I watch things but I think it is safe to say that there is no difference between 2 & 5.1 streams with the roku 2 XS.
Of course this would be much easier if you could just push a button and it would tell you what you have comming into your box !!

But weren't you the guy with the Bose system whose speakers can't be used with another AVR?

No, not me. I don't own an AVR and this Roku 2 is in my upstairs bedroom system (samsung 7000 series LED/LCD, 2 channel Hifi rig).
My downstairs system is the Roku XDS, Pioneer Kuro plasma (only 720p but still kicking) and > $10k of high end Hifi components.
Nothing Bose here !!

Thanks again for all your help
Todd
todd95008

Postby mikebdoss » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:11 pm

zzxx wrote:Roku 1 owners need to face the fact that the time has come to upgrade to Roku 2. It hurts, as I have upgraded to Roku XS from the Roku 1 XD. If you still want to hang in there and believe that the Roku 1 will deliver, there is a bridge, it escapes me at this very moment, oh yes, it is the the Brooklyn Bridge that has been on sale time to time.

The VAST majority of users don't give a hoot about stream speed, encoding types, or most new channels - they want Netflix to work and look pretty good (which it absolutely does on the Roku1 on any TV), and like that there are a few other choices. The Roku1 is still a fine choice for almost everyone.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby socantra » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:46 pm

+1

Obviously, more and more new content will require the processing power of the Roku2, or possibly.......even more.

People who feel the need of the features of the newer Rokus should obviously upgrade. Those who don't have no reason at all to rush to spend their money.

I have both the XDS and the XS. I like some of the features of the XS, but I definitely prefer some of the features of the XDS. At some point, all of the current devices we use for streaming will become obsolete, but it would seem rather wasteful and stupid to abandon them while they still meet your needs.

Upon further thought, I would also think it might be a bit premature to upgrade to the Roku2 models if you have no particular need for or desire to utilize their current advantages. The Roku2 models are now over a year old, which is a fairly long time in the modern streaming world. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby mikeyts » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:03 pm

todd95008 wrote:Went over to AVS forum where there is a PS3 page and saw a Netflix test clip "example short 24.976".
You want the one with nothing else in the title since there are several.
This clip has an overlay that changes with each bitrate & resolution and is in several languages both stereo & mono only.

I've played around with those various example shorts (this is that one) and none of them had this bit rate/resolution overlay before. I know that I'd played that one because it asked me whether I wanted to resume.

Very cool! Thanks for pointing it out.

The encodes used by the old Rokus (and other devices) have integrated sound. As I said before, these new adaptive-bit-rate-oriented encodes have the video stored separately from the sound so that they could support both stereo and 5.1 and audio dubs in other languages. (I haven't seem them actually use that to provide an English dub for a foreign movie, but they could; I prefer subtitles anyway).
Last edited by mikeyts on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeyts

Postby thusband » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:54 pm

socantra wrote:+1

Obviously, more and more new content will require the processing power of the Roku2, or possibly.......even more.

People who feel the need of the features of the newer Rokus should obviously upgrade. Those who don't have no reason at all to rush to spend their money.

I have both the XDS and the XS. I like some of the features of the XS, but I definitely prefer some of the features of the XDS. At some point, all of the current devices we use for streaming will become obsolete, but it would seem rather wasteful and stupid to abandon them while they still meet your needs.

Upon further thought, I would also think it might be a bit premature to upgrade to the Roku2 models if you have no particular need for or desire to utilize their current advantages. The Roku2 models are now over a year old, which is a fairly long time in the modern streaming world. :)

You make a lot of sense but I already pulled the trigger and bought the XS. What's the XDS? I only see the XD and XS. I don't think I care about motion control in the remote or the games but the Ethernet is essential and, possibly, the USB so I went with the XS.
Tom Husband
thusband

Postby kc8pql » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:03 pm

^ XDS is the discontinued top of the line R1 model.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:06 pm

thusband wrote:... What's the XDS? ...

It is a Roku 1. See this review from 2010: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/22/roku-xds-review/

It looks about identical to the N1000 just with the addition of a USB port and the Component video is a mini-plug instead of the separate plugs the N1000 has.

<Force equals mass times acceleration> I seem to be slow today.
Gilgamesh

Postby thusband » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Hooked up my new XS replacing my old XD. Boy what a difference! I love it. The picture is better, it loads much quicker and it changes channels faster. I used to have short audio cutouts on Amazon right at the beginning but no more with the XS. I was also surprised at the size compared to the old XD.

What do folks use the USB connection for? Can you watch movies, etc. off a flash drive?

Don't know if anybody's tried the Android Roku app but on on Nexus 7 it's sweet. Using the keyboard is so much better than the hunt and peck with the remote.
Tom Husband
thusband

Postby mikeyts » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:28 pm

thusband wrote:Hooked up my new XS replacing my old XD. Boy what a difference! I love it. The picture is better, it loads much quicker and it changes channels faster. I used to have short audio cutouts on Amazon right at the beginning but no more with the XS. I was also surprised at the size compared to the old XD.

I'm happy that you're enjoying it :).

What do folks use the USB connection for? Can you watch movies, etc. off a flash drive?

Yes--see the "Video Encoding for the USB Channel" thread for details of what it can play.

Don't know if anybody's tried the Android Roku app but on on Nexus 7 it's sweet. Using the keyboard is so much better than the hunt and peck with the remote.

Though it's got some nice features, I don't really need it as a remote. I cannot get the "Play To Roku" function to work with the Nexus 7.
mikeyts

Postby mikeyts » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:38 pm

BTW, don't forget to install the VUDU channel, create an account (if you don't already have one) and register the Roku for a free $6 credit (the cost to rent a recent release title in 1080p).
mikeyts

Postby thusband » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:57 pm

mikeyts wrote:BTW, don't forget to install the VUDU channel, create an account (if you don't already have one) and register the Roku for a free $6 credit (the cost to rent a recent release title in 1080p).

Sorry but why after unplugging cable, installing an antenna for OTA, recording shows on my PVR and buying the Roku box would I pay for VUDU?
Tom Husband
thusband

Postby mikeyts » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 pm

thusband wrote:Sorry but why after unplugging cable, installing an antenna for OTA, recording shows on my PVR and buying the Roku box would I pay for VUDU?

You might as well watch the free movie (or up to 6 free movies, if you watch 99-cent-film-of-the-day titles, which can be viewed in 1080p for that price); there's no obligation to ever pay for anything.

People who unplug from cable to watch OTA + Internet VOD usually don't stop renting new releases, but if that's part of your strategy I can respect that :).
mikeyts

Postby Arwen » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:56 pm

thusband wrote:...

There are 3 USB channels, the Official one free in the channel store, a newer one and
Roksbox which has both USB & local network streaming support. There may be others.

Note that the Roku has limited CODEC support, so the reference the prior responder
made is important concerning what file formats are supported.

Roksbox, in case you did not know, is a private paid channel for playing videos & music,
as well as viewing photos of your own, from either USB or web server. Recently it added
Hipserv and Dropbox support, (IIRC).

Oh, I second adding VUDU. Even if you don't use it for rentals, it's previews are great
quality. Better than some other channels.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion