streaming live non Roku media to my TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

streaming live non Roku media to my TV

Postby sail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 am

Hi

As many know, there is a debate between Jon Stuart and Bill O'Reilly coming up. I will be able to see it on my computer of course. http://www.therumble2012.com/index.html

All I've found so far will stream from my library. Which means to me that I must record and save it, then I can send it to my TV.

How can I play it straight from the computer to my Roku box without pause or recording it ?

I'm guessing someone knows the answer and this is a pretty simple question.

Thanks

Phil
sail

Re: streaming live non Roku media to my TV

Postby sail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:58 pm

bump. anyone have ANY idea of how to do this ?
sail

Postby castalla » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Afaik, live streaming is not easily achieved. You'd need to find the underlying stream address, then find some way to stream to the Roku. It can be done for live mp3 audio streams via the MyMedia app but not for video which has to be in mp4 or iPad video format (I think).
castalla

Postby sail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm also on line now with Roku support and they tell me it cannot be done.
sail

Postby sail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm

The only way to do this is to record the debate and play it later. Which is too much for one day. That means delay the party as if it were an Obama jobs bill.
sail

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:25 pm

sail wrote:The only way to do this is to record the debate and play it later. Which is too much for one day. That means delay the party as if it were an Obama jobs bill.

Or plug your computer into your TV. Honestly, that's the easiest way to go here.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby sail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:34 pm

trekkeriii wrote:http://www.therumble2012.com/contactus <-- See if they will make a Roku channel by contacting them. I would think it would be beneficial to them to generate more revenue for the event. Anyways, this is the only way it will happen.

The helper on the Roku support site said that he would suggest it. He said that they are considering adding Youtube in the future.

YOUTUBE !???! hasn't that been around for a little while? Like longer than Roku ?? And isn't it one of the most popular sites on the internet ? and they are just now considering adding it?

It will take more than my one lone voice in the wilderness to get what I want by Oct 6th.

So, maybe I have to record it and delay the viewing party as if it was an Obama job bill ..or did I use that joke already ?

BTW get youtube through roku on Hulu basic for free.
sail

Postby sail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:36 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
sail wrote:The only way to do this is to record the debate and play it later. Which is too much for one day. That means delay the party as if it were an Obama jobs bill.

Or plug your computer into your TV. Honestly, that's the easiest way to go here.

I think I need a 60 foot cable with a weird connector to do that. I have a good video card but "out" connection is multi pin flat like a monitor cable.

Thanks though.
sail

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:50 pm

sail wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

I think I need a 60 foot cable with a weird connector to do that. I have a good video card but "out" connection is multi pin flat like a monitor cable.

Thanks though.

No friends with a laptop?

I totally understand you wanting to do this via the Roku, but considering this a Pay-Per-View event, the stream (likely) won't be known until you're streaming it live. It's also VERY likely that there's NO hack that would get it to your Roku at all. http://www.therumble2012.com/g/Watching ... V/692.html lists various ways you can watch on your TV, most are a variation of "hook up a computer to your television".
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby sail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:54 pm

I've got two laptops thanks . It's just tuff to crowd 10 people around it/them.

I'll record the Jon Stuart / Bill O'Really debate and reschedule the party. That's the easiest way now. Of course that means I will have eaten all the snaks including the BIG chunk-o-chocolate from chocolate deities. great choco cast into images like mayan death mask or Buddhas foot or Walendorf fertility goddess. http://www.chocolatedeities.com/deities.php

More for me.
sail

Postby socantra » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Life is hard.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby sail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 pm

socantra wrote:Life is hard.

HA HA. As John Wayne said "Life is hard. It's even harder when your stupid."

Fortunately, I am not. However, I am often misinformed.

Actually, I thought I was wrong once. But I was mistaken.
sail

Postby FX4 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:13 pm

You have an iPad? Airplay to ATV or XBMC (RPi).
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby sail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:41 pm

FX4 wrote:You have an iPad? Airplay to ATV or XBMC (RPi).

No. Apple is not in my realm. Foxconn is on my radar though. I even bought a Zune in protest. A shabby protest it was but it made me feel better. Until I couldn't connect the zune to things like the radio in the boat or car and didn't have all the other features that apple products do.

I think you are correct though. It prolly would work.

Oh well. Next life....
sail

Postby FX4 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:44 pm

LOL...what's the difference? Foxconn makes Apple products along with just about every other consumer electronics product. Slave labor at its finest.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion