Alternative to Plex (without a PC)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Alternative to Plex (without a PC)

Postby ILoveCoffee » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:03 am

Hello folks,

I am a new user of Roku XS, still learning so be easy on me. I am still going through the threads. So some questions, including Plex

My idea behind getting a Roku was, I am not interested in setting up a HTPC, although have a laptop collecting dust (Wife Acceptability Factor is very low with HTPC) but now it turns out, Plex is mentioned here too many times for use, like watching YouTube, your own content. I wonder why these functionalities can not added in Roku? I know the issue with YouTube and Roku (Still its one of the top 10 channels, viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52048, how do they do it?)

Is there any alternative to Plex that I can use, without running laptop on the same network?

XS has a USB port but in my couple of attempts, it failed to recognize USB drive (FAT32), that is nicely recognized by my Philips DVD player, hence searching for a back up plan.

Many thanks in advance.
ILoveCoffee

Re: Alternative to Plex (without a PC)

Postby knuckle » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:13 am

Hi Ilovecoffee,

there once was a marvelous wonderful incredible channel (it blew all other youtube channels out of the water) for you tube here,but those meanies at google complained and thus it was removed... but google couldn't go to every ones house who had the channel and make them remove it from their rokus so if you had that youtube channel you will continue to have it until you delete it from your box.

As for plex...plex is a channel specifically designed to connect your pc to your roku...kind of hard to do with out a PC...there was also once a channel called nok nok that did some amazing things with out a PC but it fell by the way side as well.

as for your usb attempt do you have installed the usb channel? and do you know about private channels and catastrophegirls blog that lists all the private channels...it is the private stuff that lifts roku above every other player out there so folks really ought to look at it http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/

happy streaming
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby marcelo.cabral » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 am

If you have one harddrive that has the HipServ system like Seagate GoFlex, Netgear Stora, Verbatim MediaShare, Roxio Streamer or LaCie Network Drives you can use the HipServ channel, check this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48525&start=0
marcelo.cabral

Postby ILoveCoffee » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:48 pm

@knuckle,
I came across the posts of the apps you are talking about, too bad they are not available anymore. I am still going through catastrophegirl's blog, there are loads of entries so will take time.

marcelo.cabral wrote:If you have one harddrive that has the HipServ system like Seagate GoFlex, Netgear Stora, Verbatim MediaShare, Roxio Streamer or LaCie Network Drives you can use the HipServ channel, check this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48525&start=0

This is really great idea. The problem is all my HDDs are regular external HDDs in their respective enclosure (except 2 internal HDDs, one from my old desktop and one from old laptop. I am not at all good at this but is there any device that I can hook up these external HDDs to and turn it into something like you say? Cost effective idea is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
ILoveCoffee

Postby LeeHB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:05 am

There is a marvelous docking station device available at Amazon.com by BlacX which will allow you to plug any SATA 2.5" or 3.5'" disk drive into a USB port; there's also a similar item from Viewcon for older IDE drives to do the same; both are reasonably priced and may work for you. Lots of goodies up there that may do what you need.

I don't know if these things will work with the USB port on the ROKU, but it's worth checking out.
'Wires' will usually trump 'software' every time!

LeeHB
LeeHB

Postby vnzjunk » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 pm

knuckle wrote:Hi Ilovecoffee,

there once was a marvelous wonderful incredible channel (it blew all other youtube channels out of the water) for you tube here,but those meanies at google complained and thus it was removed... but google couldn't go to every ones house who had the channel and make them remove it from their rokus so if you had that youtube channel you will continue to have it until you delete it from your box.

As for plex...plex is a channel specifically designed to connect your pc to your roku...kind of hard to do with out a PC...there was also once a channel called nok nok that did some amazing things with out a PC but it fell by the way side as well.

as for your usb attempt do you have installed the usb channel? and do you know about private channels and catastrophegirls blog that lists all the private channels...it is the private stuff that lifts roku above every other player out there so folks really ought to look at it http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/

happy streaming

Go to everyones house ???? I have a feeling it would be a whole lot easier that that if they really wanted it removed which apparently they do not. We see channels broken all the time on the box for one reason or another including upgrades. Use your imaginization :lol:
vnzjunk

Postby krisbee » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 am

Some have used the internal webserver of a NAS and roksbox, so there isn't a PC running, per se. However, that is really for local playback of stuff you have. You can download videos from youtube before hand and watch, but I understand what you are saying. I am sure one day there will be an official youtube channel... but it has been years and there isn't one yet. It is the biggest complaint most people have with the Roku...

I don't run plex because I don't have a fast enough computer to transcode stuff and not affect everything else I am using that PC for, so I am skunked as well, but luckily I am grandfathered in on the older channel that used to be around....
krisbee

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion