Is this typical ?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Is this typical ?

Postby Hextejas » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:18 pm

We were watching a movie of about 2 hours in length, on a Roku 2 XS, wired to the router.
It was on channel Midnight Pulp.
During the 2 hours, it paused about 6 times, I guess to fill up the buffer.
I had expected that, since I was hard wired, that I would not have any pauses at all.
Were my expectations unrealistic and was the 6 pauses fairly typical ?

Thanks
Hextejas

Re: Is this typical ?

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 pm

No, not typical. However it is not unheard of, particularly on the video channels that do not have a robust server system and Midnight Pulp is, I believe, one of those.

By being wired you have eliminated a good number of the local glitches that can cause problems but it does nothing to reduce the variances and various slowdowns that exist out in the internet.

You might try a different DNS in your router but, in cases like this, a change of DNS is not real likely to help. Some DNSs to try if you want are:
OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 )
Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 )
Level3 DNS ( 4.2.2.2 )

The stability of a given stream is affected by many things and there are only a few that you can have any effect on.

The main chs like Amazon, Netflix and Vudu have a robust server system that can serve to mitigate many of the problems but even they are no immune to some problems from time to time.
Gilgamesh

Postby FX4 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:31 pm

It could be DNS. DNS makes a difference for me. If I use my ISPs private DNS I get buffering issues because it dishes servers in Butler Pa but if I use L3 DNS it dishes servers from Pittsburgh Pa and I don't see too many buffering issues. Although I should note I have seen a bit of an uptick buffering lately.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby krisbee » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:51 am

The other thing, of course, is the content provider... I am sure you don't have these issues on the "major" channels, right? If you don't, then chalk it up to overtaxed/underperforming servers on their end.
krisbee

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion