Dual Band Routers

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Dual Band Routers

Postby RealisticDave » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:56 pm

I have two Roku boxes, one is the original model and the second is a Roku HD, Model 2050X. I currently have a Netgear wireless router (WNR2000, N300) that I use to connect to both the Roku, an Acer laptop computer, and my wife has a Blackberry Playbook. In general, everything connects OK, but at times it seems that the computer and Playbook slow down a bit and things I'm streaming on Roku sometimes 're-load' at a lower quality rate. I have Suddenlink cable Internet, with an advertised speed of 10 mbps (although most of my speed tests show in the 7-8 mbps range).

I've been trying to educate myself on dual-band routers, and from what I gather, 'older stuff' connects on the 2.4 GHz band and 'newer stuff' connects on the 5 GHz band. Can someone answer these questions, please:
1. What is the connection speed (if that's the correct term?) of the two (older) Roku boxes that I own. Do they connect at 802.11n on the 2.4 GHz band, because I have a N300 router? Or, do they connect at 802.11b/g, because that's all that they're capable of? Or,__________?
2. It seems that the newer Roku boxes connect at 802.11n (but are backwards-compatible to b/g). Does this mean that if I had a dual-band router, they would connect on the 5 GHz band? Or would they still us the 2.4 GHz band?
3. If I were to upgrade to a dual-band router---and if necessary to a newer Roku box because the two that I presently own are not capable of using the 5 GHZ band to connect at 802.11n---is the consensus that I would see an improvement?
4. Or am I limited to whatever is coming over my cable Internet coax, and upgrading to a dual-band router (even one with a higher speed such as 450) would likely do nothing.

Any information or opinions would be appreciated. I realize that I may not be understanding all this correctly, and need to do some more homework.
Thanks!
RealisticDave

Re: Dual Band Routers

Postby Platinumyears » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:42 am

I had the same issue and went with the dual band:
- 5Ghz is set to Wifi N only
- 2.5Ghz is set to variable

RoKus connect only to the 5Ghz band, other devices not capable of connecting to Wifi N connect to the 2.5Ghz (separate SSIDs to make it easy)

This prevents the network the Rokus connect to from ever dropping to a lower connection.

This does not get you any more bandwidth, but insures that the RoKu connect at the best possible WiFi. Considering that in our house we have 7 wifi devices (more when the kids visit) some that only connect via WiFi B, it really makes a difference.
Platinumyears

Postby RealisticDave » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks, both of you for your comments. I would appreciate a clarification, though. Platinumyears, can you tell me what model of Roku you have that connects at 5GHz? (Trekkeriii seems to be saying that only the Roku XDS and XR models use 5 GHz to connect with N?) I saw that those models are no longer for sale through Roku.com, and I've found a 'dual-band forum' where that person stated that early Roku and present Roku boxes both only connect at 2.4GHZ, but "they did make some models---no longer available---that connected at 5GHz." The whole point of the dual-band forum was that if you don't have something capable of connecting at 5GHz, don't even bother with one. And from what I'm understanding, I don't have a Roku that can.

Appreciate having someone straighten me out on this,
Thanks.
RealisticDave

Postby RickRansom » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Roku boxes that can 5ghz are: HD-XR[N1101], XD|S[2100], and the Roku Stick.

http://support.roku.com/entries/2034591 ... yer-models

If you ask me what's the best way to connect a Roku to your network[router], I'd suggest going the ethernet[wired] route.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Ing5 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Take a look at the 'Roku' entry on Wikipedia. There is a nice chart with all the particulars for all the Roku boxes and the Stick.
Ing5

Postby Arwen » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Ing5 wrote:Take a look at the 'Roku' entry on Wikipedia. There is a nice chart with all the particulars for all the Roku boxes and the Stick.

Yes, the "Roku" entry on Wikipedia is pretty decent, (if I may say so myself as one of the editors :-);

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby RealisticDave » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks to everyone for your comments. That answers all of my questions. Cheers!
RealisticDave

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion