Mirror PC or Tablet screen to my TV through Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Mirror PC or Tablet screen to my TV through Roku

Postby wildcatmike » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:57 am

My apologies if this post is asking an obvious question. I'm completely new to Roku and just ordered my first Roku device this afternoon so that I could try out addressing this need, so I haven't had the chance to investigate this on the device iteself yet.

I'm trying to find a way to wirelessly mirror a Win8 tablet or Win7 PC screen onto a TV via wifi. I don't need full motion video, just a periodic refresh of the screen...an update every 1-5 seconds would be ideal to keep the bandwidth requirement low....I'd be running 4 to 12 setups like this simultaneously on the same wireless network.

A Raspberry Pi running VNC would be perfect for me, except that supply of the devices is limited and unrelaible. I've already used a few different types of WiDi devices for this purpose and they work spectacularly in small numbers. The only problem is that they stream full 1080p HD video so they require a large chunk of spectrum. That means only 3 of them can be operated in a given area without interference. With 4 in use simultaneously they start to conflict with each other and drop signals, and with 5+ they don't work at all.

I've read through numerous posts about doing this with a Roku Photobridge device, but it looks like those are no longer available.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

- Mike
wildcatmike

Re: Mirror PC or Tablet screen to my TV through Roku

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am

There is, currently, no way to reliably do what you want.

Roku can stream compatible formats from a computer but no one has created a good way to produce a real time stream of a computers screen in a format that will work.
Gilgamesh

Postby wildcatmike » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:56 am

Gilgamesh wrote:There is, currently, no way to reliably do what you want.

Roku can stream compatible formats from a computer but no one has created a good way to produce a real time stream of a computers screen in a format that will work.

Thank you for the information!

Do you have any idea if this is due to some technical limitation or challenge, or is it just something that no one has needed enough to create so far?
wildcatmike

Postby jeffrok » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:09 pm

Well, not through a Roku, but you could use a laptop that has Wi-di built in. It's not lagless so it's not good for games, but it works.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby renojim » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:11 pm

The Roku doesn't handle live video very well. There's always a pretty large latency involved, at least for HLS. I just did a quick test using VLC to transcode my screen to HLS and then displayed it on my TV. There was probably a minute or more between when something changed on my computer screen and it appeared on my TV, so not so good for real-time screencasting. There's also no sound. I'm not sure if VLC can handle sound or not. If the large delay isn't a problem, then it might be possible and there's probably other ways of converting your screen to HLS. LIve Smooth Streaming may also be a possibility, but I don't know much about that.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion