Refurbished Rokus

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Refurbished Rokus

Postby TheEndless » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:54 pm

mauiman wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
wzwor wrote:The dozen refurbished roku auctions in ebay right now claim over 700 units sold.

With upwards of 4 million units sold, 700 units is less than .0175%, so even if there were 50 times that many (35,000 units!), it'd still be less than 1% of all units sold.

That's just one web site, E-Bay.

That's why I said, "even if there were 50 times that many".
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mauiman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 pm

That's why I said, "even if there were 50 times that many".[/quote]
You do know, of course those are just the refurb's, right?
The units the factory could make work again with a few bucks?
It's not indicative of total returns.
We really have no idea what percentage of units sold were returned as defects.
Electronic devices fail.
IC chips fail, power supplies fail, cold solder joints happen far more frequently than one might think, etc
This box, as great as it is when it works, has problems.
It runs quite hot, a death sentence to a piece of electronics in my experience.
Two of my four Roku's have failed.
Same problem (HDMI output blue screen...ordered at different times from a high volume retailer, btw, so doubtful they came from the same production run)
And based upon all the blue screen and green screen/HDMI threads I've seen here, not an uncommon problem.
Your 1% figure is 49% off from my personal experience.
YMMV
mauiman

Postby TheEndless » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:18 pm

mauiman wrote:
TheEndless wrote:That's why I said, "even if there were 50 times that many".

You do know, of course those are just the refurb's, right?
The units the factory could make work again with a few bucks?
It's not indicative of total returns.
We really have no idea what percentage of units sold were returned as defects.
Electronic devices fail.
IC chips fail, power supplies fail, cold solder joints happen far more frequently than one might think, etc
This box, as great as it is when it works, has problems.
It runs quite hot, a death sentence to a piece of electronics in my experience.
Two of my four Roku's have failed.
Same problem (HDMI output blue screen...ordered at different times from a high volume retailer, btw, so doubtful they came from the same production run)
And based upon all the blue screen and green screen/HDMI threads I've seen here, not an uncommon problem.
Your 1% figure is 49% off from my personal experience.
YMMV

The original comment was "I am concerned, however, at the number of refurbs available." so that's what I was speaking to. I'm not sure if you're just wanting to disagree with me for some reason or what, but I was simply pointing out that it's likely that the refurbs make up less than 1% of the total units sold.

Speaking more to your experience, I, personally, have owned ten different Rokus, two of which were purchased as refurbs, one of which was a Roku 1 HD that actually had a bad HDMI port, and was replaced within a few days via Roku online chat support. So, your 50% is 40% off from my personal experience.. ;)

Also, for what it's worth, not a single one of the ten Rokus I've owned have run hot. They're barely even warm to the touch, so I'm not sure why yours run hotter. Ordinarily I'd suggest insufficient ventilation, but I actually keep one of my development Rokus in a cardboard box to block it from receiving unwanted IR codes, and even that one doesn't run hot, so I don't think that's it, either.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby kc8pql » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:43 pm

I've had four. None ran more than the slightest bit warm, and the oldest, from Sept. '08, still works just fine.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby jeffrok » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 am

I've owned 5 different Roku's.. One had a DOA HDMI port.. The rest haven't needed replacing.. Not even a power supply. Owned Roku's since '08.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby JAZZBACK » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:19 pm

My Experience on both sides of refurbs... As a former Manufacturing engineer the company i worked for when we refurbish a unit or item we would replace the defective board or component usually a revision from previous version. usually in engineering there are things missed in the process of final testing to manufacture. such as a component that gets too hot and goes out or needs to be upgraded to higher wattage. too often company's rush things out without enough time for testing and hints forth RMAS. this is why walmart target etc don't take returns after 45 days. it is safe to buy refurbished most bugs are usually worked out when inital returns become refurbs!
ROKU XD:12A14H000054
Cox Communications
30 DN 5 UP Running WIFI!!!
JAZZBACK

Postby kb01 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 am

I'm still using the original Roku (N1000?) that I bought the first month they were on sale, 4ish years ago (I can't even remember). It's always run unusually hot and still works fine.

In terms of refurbished electronics, I usually don't think twice as long as it's from a reputable source. This is especially the case for anything that requires network settings. I've always gone off the assumption that the bulk of returns are from people who can't figure out how to get it setup on their network or their A/V system.

So far, I've never had any problems with any refurbished purchase.
kb01

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion