Windows 8

Questions and answers about getting your SoundBridge up and running.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Windows 8

Postby mvandell » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Can't seem to get my SoundBridge connected to my Windows 8 media. Anyone tried this successfully?
mvandell

Re: Windows 8

Postby mdsharpe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:58 am

Mine is also failing to access any media shared from WMP in Windows 8 :-(
mdsharpe

Postby User932 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 am

I see the same failure using Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise x64 and Roku SoundBridge with software version 3.0.44. The same equipment had been working when the system was running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 x64. After the upgrade to Windows 8, it seems that media sharing was disabled. I had to re-enable sharing in the Network and Internet, Network Sharing Center, Media streaming options Control Panel. Although the control panel address is (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming options), Media streaming options cannot be navigated to directly from the parent Network and Sharing Center control panel. In addition the control panel address cannot be used by simply pasting it back into the Control Panel header. To work-around the user interface mess, a search for "Media streaming options" from the "Search Control Panel" field of the Control Panel may lead to the right dialog. With media stream re-enabled the Roku SoundBridge could then connect to the computer.

Unfortunately, although the SoundBridge can now connect to the computer, it cannot play any songs. All of the Browse options produce the following error:

"Failed to load browse data. Invalid result received."

Please post if you find a work-around. I may explore Google Play as it would be nice to remove as many Microsoft products from my ecosystem as possible.
User932

Postby marionet54 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:19 am

It works fine with Logitech Media Server. :D
ML
marionet54

Postby User932 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:02 am

User932

Postby jjaf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:55 am

Going by the date of your post I expect you are using a pre-release version of Windows 8. You should try it with the released version now it is available (see http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/ ... revisited/).
R1000, M400, M1001
jjaf

Postby KevinGre » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:53 am

I'm having the same failure with Windows 8 RTM (pro 32 bit). Doing a network capture I can see the SOAP UPnP query:
<u:Search xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1">
<ContainerID>0</ContainerID>
<SearchCriteria>upnp:class = &quot;object.container.album.musicAlbum&quot; and @refID exists false</SearchCriteria>
<Filter></Filter>
<StartingIndex>0</StartingIndex>
<RequestedCount>400</RequestedCount>
<SortCriteria></SortCriteria>
</u:Search>
but it gets no reply. The string "object.containter.album.musicAlbum" looks a bit odd, particularly when seeing an earlier packet that returns search capabilities does not appear to list such a field.

<m:GetSearchCapabilitiesResponse xmlns:m="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1"><SearchCaps xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes" dt:dt="string">@id,@refID,dc:title,upnp:class,upnp:genre,upnp:artist,upnp:author,upnp:author@role,upnp:album,dc:creator,res@size,res@duration,res@protocolInfo,res@protection,dc:publisher,dc:language,upnp:originalTrackNumber,dc:date,upnp:producer,upnp:rating,upnp:actor,upnp:director,upnp:toc,dc:description,microsoft:userRatingInStars,microsoft:userEffectiveRatingInStars,microsoft:userRating,microsoft:userEffectiveRating,microsoft:serviceProvider,microsoft:artistAlbumArtist,microsoft:artistPerformer,microsoft:artistConductor,microsoft:authorComposer,microsoft:authorOriginalLyricist,microsoft:authorWriter,upnp:userAnnotation,upnp:channelName,upnp:longDescription,upnp:programTitle,upnp:episodeNumber</SearchCaps></m:GetSearchCapabilitiesResponse>

Any chance Roku will patch their queries to work again?
KevinGre

Postby dupondt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 am

KevinGre wrote:Any chance Roku will patch their queries to work again?

No chance at all. The SoundBridge range of products was EOL'd several years ago (hence the name of this forum section: "Legacy Roku products").

Greetings
dupondt
Roku SoundBridge R1000, M1001 and M1000 • Pinnacle SoundBridge HomeMusic
DNT IP-dio • Clint L1 • Roku XD • Google Chromecast
dupondt

Postby KevinGre » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:50 pm

So what's the best thing to replace windows streaming? I have a lot of WMA Lossless.
KevinGre

Postby KevinGre » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:51 am

Tried Twonky. It works great for MP3 but not for WMA Lossless (the soundbridge can't decode WMA Lossless but with Windows Streaming it got the PC to decode for it). Any tips? Is there a lossless codec that will work and has a converter will retain all the meta-data?
KevinGre

Postby User932 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:13 am

I ended up converting all of my WMA Lossless files to FLAC using dBpoweramp.
User932

Return to SoundBridge Set-Up