which roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

which roku?

Postby rack » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:35 am

I have a Toshiba 50H82 rear projection tv, no hdmi input. The Time Warner Samsung SMT H3262 Hd cable box has an hdmi, and usb port. What Roku box would you reccommend, and can I hook a Roku to my cable box hdmi port to get the 1080i resolution on my tv?

Thanks
rack

Re: which roku?

Postby FX4 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:01 am

Its not an HDMI in port on the back of your cable box. You need something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2 for your television. Unfortunately Roku decided to stop supporting component with the last generation. If you are wireless get the XD, if you plan to be wired get the XS. You really want to stick to the Roku 2 models. There are quite a few things happening now that is making the R1s obsolete.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby jeffrok » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:22 am

FX4 wrote:Its not an HDMI in port on the back of your cable box. You need something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2 for your television. Unfortunately Roku decided to stop supporting component with the last generation. If you are wireless get the XD, if you plan to be wired get the XS. You really want to stick to the Roku 2 models. There are quite a few things happening now that is making the R1s obsolete.

+1.. Exactly what I was going to say. Don't bother with the old Rokus, even though they have more outputs. The Roku 2 has a better Netflix channel, supports the Vudu channel, and supports games.. All of this made possible, I believe by a faster processor inside.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby ralphie.suzy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:41 pm

My Roku 2 XS just came in today–I couldn't believe how much smaller it is, and I've seen the size-comparison pictures–after using the Roku 1 for a couple of years now I immediately noticed that the Roku 2 is a tad snappier (even at reading my USB flash drive), I also slapped in a 2GB microSD card that had come with an old BlackBerry to offset storage. The interface itself supports 1080p rather than just being capable of 1080p playback with the interface displaying at 720p as with the R1. I'm noticing no stutter so far-the Roku 2 dynamically changes video quality based on connection. The interface, being darker, is easier on the eyes as well. Amazon is selling them for $89 right now, too, the XS is the best one-I'll take an ethernet connection over WiFi for video streaming any day, and I've a pretty buhdass router.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
ralphie.suzy

Postby Ing5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:22 pm

jeffrok wrote:
FX4 wrote:Its not an HDMI in port on the back of your cable box. You need something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2 for your television. Unfortunately Roku decided to stop supporting component with the last generation. If you are wireless get the XD, if you plan to be wired get the XS. You really want to stick to the Roku 2 models. There are quite a few things happening now that is making the R1s obsolete.

+1.. Exactly what I was going to say. Don't bother with the old Rokus, even though they have more outputs. The Roku 2 has a better Netflix channel, supports the Vudu channel, and supports games.. All of this made possible, I believe by a faster processor inside.

I've had my Roku 1 (XR) for about two years. I have a little over 100+ channels installed and have never hit the memory limit. The HDMI goes to the TV, the component and optical go to the receiver. I use the Roku virtually every day. I don't use Netflix, couldn't care less about Vudu and would never want to play games with the Roku. Exactly how is my Roku 1 obsolete?
Ing5

Postby FX4 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:59 pm

I have an XR and there is no comparison to the R2XS. The only thing the XR has on the R2XS is the component video outputs. Other than that the R2XS is superior in every way. It holds HD streams no problem when the XR wants to fall off of the HD stream at times. You don't get any buffering with the R2XS. After putting an R2XS on my protocol analyzer and comparing the same stream to my R1XR the IP stack is much more robust. It handles an amazing amount of network errors without dropping a video stream.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby jeffrok » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Ing5 wrote:
jeffrok wrote:

+1.. Exactly what I was going to say. Don't bother with the old Rokus, even though they have more outputs. The Roku 2has a better Netflix channel, supports the Vudu channel, and supports games.. All of this made possible, I believe by a faster processor inside.

I've had my Roku 1 (XR) for about two years. I have a little over 100+ channels installed and have never hit the memory limit. The HDMI goes to the TV, the component and optical go to the receiver. I use the Roku virtually every day. I don't use Netflix, couldn't care less about Vudu and would never want to play games with the Roku. Exactly how is my Roku 1 obsolete?

It's not obsolete... yet
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 am

I have an original Roku (N1000?) and an XD. Both get used regularly. The wifi failed on the original but ethernet still works fine. I have no intention of replacing either until they totally fail. It is not a money issue, I can certainly afford a couple of new Rokus. They just do everything I need. Picture quality is great (for my old eyes). Maybe if they come out with a great new feature I feel I just have to have. I am not even a casual gamer so the new controller is not interesting to me.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby FX4 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:25 pm

LOL...you remind me of my daughter. I just donated an R1 HD to her because her N1000 finally gave up the ghost and won't hold a stream.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby bigtodd » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04 am

I have the Toshiba 57H82 (or 57H81) Which also has no HDMI but does have component, svideo, and composite (my composite input is broken) It will support 1080i, 480p, 480i. i also have an HDMI to component converter. It will pass through the input resolution meaning it cant take in 1080p and output 1080i. My question is can I use the Roku 2 XS and have it output 1080i through HDMI? Can it output 480p or 480i through HDMI?

I plan to but a new plasma in a few months that will certainly do 1080p. But for now I'm stuck with the Toshiba.

Thanks, Todd
bigtodd

Postby wzwor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 am

rack wrote:I have a Toshiba 50H82 rear projection tv, no hdmi input. The Time Warner Samsung SMT H3262 Hd cable box has an hdmi, and usb port. What Roku box would you reccommend, and can I hook a Roku to my cable box hdmi port to get the 1080i resolution on my tv?

Thanks

No way I'd spend $40 for a HDMI to Component converter. Which Roku is best for you depends on what you plan to do with it. Your set is 720p, so there is no need to get a Roku that can do better than that. Unless you want games, I think you'd be happy with a Gen1 Roku. Look here for a feature comparison and a general description of the differences between the models...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

I'd grab this XDS on eBay. It's only a little more than the HDMI to Component converter, will work with this set, and could be used with a new HDMI/1080p set. It also has all wireless possibilities and an ethernet port plus a usb port through which you can watch your own files...

ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roku-XD-w-remot ... 2577a19e43
review: http://www.pcworld.com/product/671496/xds-2100x-.html
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby wzwor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:47 am

bigtodd wrote:I have the Toshiba 57H82 (or 57H81) Which also has no HDMI but does have component, svideo, and composite (my composite input is broken) It will support 1080i, 480p, 480i. i also have an HDMI to component converter. It will pass through the input resolution meaning it cant take in 1080p and output 1080i. My question is can I use the Roku 2 XS and have it output 1080i through HDMI? Can it output 480p or 480i through HDMI?

I plan to but a new plasma in a few months that will certainly do 1080p. But for now I'm stuck with the Toshiba.

Thanks, Todd

Good upgrade to plasma. You will be amazed. Will you be getting rid of the 57H82? If so, either wait on a roku or get the XDS will be right at home on your shiny new plasma tv.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby bigtodd » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 am

thanks for responding wzwor. I ended up getting the 2HD it seem all models do 480p through HDMI. Right now I have it connected to my 32" LCD in another room. My HDMI to Component converter hasn't arrived yet. I'll update when I get the results. Looking forward to the new plasma in a few months.
bigtodd

Postby bigtodd » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:54 pm

Well my HDMI converter came last night and it does not work with the Roku HD. I've tested it with cable box and laptop and it will convert their signal's to component but not the Roku. I see the "Roku" splash screen, but the color is off, and there are some blotches of pixels that are black. This is probably because the converter box can't provide the available resolutions for my TV so the Roku defaults to 720p. Any thought s on this?

Is there a way to force the Roku HD box to 480p vi HDMI? I might open a thread on the developer forum to see if I can upload a channel that will force resolution to what I need.
bigtodd

Postby TheEndless » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:57 pm

bigtodd wrote:I might open a thread on the developer forum to see if I can upload a channel that will force resolution to what I need.

You can't. The SDK doesn't provide any methods for accessing or changing device settings.

Why not just hook the box back up to the television it worked on, reset the resolution there, then move it back?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion