Problems connecting to network with Actiontec C1000A

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Problems connecting to network with Actiontec C1000A

Postby Porch » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:09 am

I have an Actiontec C1000A DSL modem/wireless router that my brand new Roku 2 XS would NOT connect to with either a wired (error 013) or a wireless (error 014) connection. Since this is the default modem supplied by Centurylink/Qwest in my area, i figured i'd share my frustration with the forum in case anyone else has issues!

My wireless was configured as WPA2 with AES and a static password that is all lower-case. I read through the forums here and i see a lot of people who fixed their similar issues by switching to WEP or WPA. I want to emphasize that you should never use WEP or WPA to make your Roku connect. A hacker can break your WEP wireless network in under 5 minutes, and WPA doesn't take much longer. Once they've broken in to your wireless, they can download anything they want off the internet and it will look like YOU did it! (Think about the legal consequences of that!)

So now that we've gotten that out of the way:
I tried just about every setting on this modem and it simply wouldn't connect. I tried placing the Roku in the DMZ, rebooting a million times, even the wired connection didn't work (tried 2 different cables). The router logs clearly show the device connecting. I went through tech support and they were clueless. So here's what i'm saying: it doesn't work.

My solution was to take an old wireless router (a nice Buffalo wireless N router) i had laying around and set it up as a second access point. My C1000A starts at 192.168.1.1 so i gave my old router a 1.100 starting address and told it to use 1.1 as the gateway. I then ran a cat5 cable between the modem and my old router....and tada! It all works.

So if you're having this issue and you come across this post, that's about all you can do. Get a second wifi router and run it into your C1000A as a separate wifi network. Not an elegant solution, but i'm just glad to have it working at this point!

Roku--fix your $#@%.
Porch

Re: Problems connecting to network with Actiontec C1000A

Postby Porch » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:03 am

Ah, i didn't realize that was part of the connection for the Roku. Why the heck would they do that?!?

That probably solves it then: the C1000A has a firewall built in and by default it's in "Stealth Mode" (it won't respond to pings from either direction). I bet if i had disabled that then the Roku would have worked.
Porch

Postby Porch » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:04 am

Agreed that internal pinging is not a security issue. It does seem that there are a million easier ways to determine if you have network connectivity though.

Oh well. I just wish the tech could have pointed that out as quickly as you did. I wasted over an hour yesterday on the chat and phone. Thanks for the help!
Porch

Postby RickRansom » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Other than setting your wireless security to WPA2 only[double that with pure AES encryption], you can also add in wireless mac filtering and a limited number of IP addresses in your pool, [almost]all of which have been assigned to your devices via DHCP reservation. I have a Cisco EA2700 and if I have people coming over, they can always connect to my guest network so no security risk there. The guest network runs on a different pool [192.168.1.x vs 192.168.33.x]. And no, you won't be able to go online unless you have the password for the guest network. :mrgreen:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby JimDandySTX » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 pm

RickRansom wrote:Other than setting your wireless security to WPA2 only[double that with pure AES encryption], you can also add in wireless mac filtering and a limited number of IP addresses in your pool, [almost]all of which have been assigned to your devices via DHCP reservation. I have a Cisco EA2700 and if I have people coming over, they can always connect to my guest network so no security risk there. The guest network runs on a different pool [192.168.1.x vs 192.168.33.x]. And no, you won't be able to go online unless you have the password for the guest network. :mrgreen:

FYI MAC filtering really down't add much to your security as many WiFi scanning programs (inSSider, etc. ) tell you the MAC address of connected devices meaning that all an intruder has to do is clone a connected MAC address and then they can try and hack into your network. Best most people can do is a stong WPA2 AES PSK.
JimDandySTX

Postby RickRansom » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:17 pm

JimDandySTX wrote:FYI MAC filtering really down't add much to your security as many WiFi scanning programs (inSSider, etc. ) tell you the MAC address of connected devices meaning that all an intruder has to do is clone a connected MAC address and then they can try and hack into your network. Best most people can do is a stong WPA2 AES PSK.

I checked inSSider and this is what I read:
MAC Address – This is a unique identifier for a wireless network. In an infrastructure
network, this will be the radio’s MAC Address. In an Ad-Hoc environment, this will be a
pseudo-randomly generated MAC Address.

This could be a non-issue for me. Here's how my network looks like:
    -SSID broadcast disabled[both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band]
    -WPA2[AES only]
    -DHCP pool set to #of devices I use
    -DHCP reservation set to all my devices[wired and wireless]
    -Mac filtering set to allow only my devices to connect
    -Cisco guest network set to broadcast using different LAN IP

If inSSider[or any other tool] can check the MAC address of my devices even if they're not connected to my[main] network, that would be something new to me. They'd have to get into my home and hardwire a PC to my router before they can even try to screw me up.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby JimDandySTX » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:25 am

RickRansom wrote:
JimDandySTX wrote:FYI MAC filtering really down't add much to your security as many WiFi scanning programs (inSSider, etc. ) tell you the MAC address of connected devices meaning that all an intruder has to do is clone a connected MAC address and then they can try and hack into your network. Best most people can do is a stong

If inSSider[or any other tool] can check the MAC address of my devices even if they're not connected to my[main] network, that would be something new to me. They'd have to get into my home and hardwire a PC to my router before they can even try to screw me up.

I also use Amped Wireless WiFi analytics ( runs on Android tablet) to check on nearby WiFi channels so I can pick the least used channel. In addition to the SSID, channel of the AP, it also gives me the AP's MAC address. Another App, Fing also provides lots of interesting information about networks and attached devices.

My point is that if you have WiFi turned on it is possible to quickly determine MAC addresses and private IP ranges. The added security a MAC address table gives you may not outweigh the trouble of keeping the table up to date as many devices have three or more MAC addresses (2.4Mhz, 5 Mhz, and Ethernet ).

Also if you are using MAC addresses to set up internet restrictions for your family, download Technitium MAC Address Changer and see how trivial a task it is to change a PCs MAC address making it possible any user to use another MAC address including yours.

For those of you that have an academic interest on how to hack a wireless network I suggest that you read the article linked below on Small Network Builders. In the first page of this article the author basically states that MAC address filitering is almost worthless as a security measure and shows you an example of why.

www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wirele ... -wpa2-2012
JimDandySTX

Postby RickRansom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:15 pm

JimDandySTX wrote:For those of you that have an academic interest on how to hack a wireless network I suggest that you read the article linked below on Small Network Builders. In the first page of this article the author basically states that MAC address filitering is almost worthless as a security measure and shows you an example of why.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... -wpa2-2012

Thanks for the link. This is a good read. I already knew how weak WEP is but this article actually says WPA[or even WPA2] can be broken with the right tools and methods.

Now back to reading the article.

Edit: Done reading.
I've sort of understood your point about the Mac filtering I have. I would seemd that setting the encryption to WPA2[AES only, which I already do] and changing the password might be the best approach for most[if not all] users if their devices support it. My WLAN is already using a 16-character password with letters replaced with numbers[1 for l, 0 for o, etc] and the calculator mentioned in the link shows the following result:

Time Required to Exhaustively Search this Password's Space:
Online Attack Scenario: 14.14 million trillion centuries
(Assuming one thousand guesses per second)
Offline Fast Attack Scenario: 1.41 hundred billion centuries
(Assuming one hundred billion guesses per second)
Massive Cracking Array Scenario: 1.41 hundred million centuries
(Assuming one hundred trillion guesses per second)

That's a bit refreshing. :mrgreen:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby renojim » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:05 am

There's nothing wrong with WPA. While WEP can be hacked within minutes, to say that's possible with WPA is simply wrong unless you're using something like password as your password. The only attack I'm aware of for WPA is a dictionary attack. And in case you're wondering, I've proven to myself how easy it is to hack into a WEP protected network and how nearly impossible it is to hack into a WPA protected network. Unless something's changed since the last time I researched it, I feel perfectly safe with my WPA protected network.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby JimDandySTX » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:31 am

renojim wrote:There's nothing wrong with WPA. While WEP can be hacked within minutes, to say that's possible with WPA is simply wrong unless you're using something like password as your password. The only attack I'm aware of for WPA is a dictionary attack. And in case you're wondering, I've proven to myself how easy it is to hack into a WEP protected network and how nearly impossible it is to hack into a WPA protected network. Unless something's changed since the last time I researched it, I feel perfectly safe with my WPA protected network.

-JT

Any password if it is just a "word" can be discovered within seconds using dictionaries/lists. The longer the password/phrase is and if also includes upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters then it becomes almost unbreakable. Use the calculator mentioned above. There is a link to the calculator from the article I mentioned in Small Network Builders and test your passwords.

The length of the password is the key and also using the full character set. With 95 printable ASCII characters available it doesn't take many characters to come up with an unbreakable password. (95 x 95 x 95 ,etc.) vs using just lower case letters (26 x 26 x 26, etc.)
JimDandySTX

Postby W_S » Thu May 16, 2013 12:23 pm

The Answer to connecting Roku to Actiontec c1000a is to change it's channel to channel 11, same thing applies to any other Wireless modem. I had to do the same thing with CableOne's Motorola wireless modem absolutely has to be on channel 11 for Roku to connect. My friend across town could not connect to Roku I changed his channel to 11 and 1st try it connected. IT HAS TO BE ON CHANNEL 11 !!!!
W_S

Postby trekkeriii » Thu May 16, 2013 5:02 pm

W_S wrote:The Answer to connecting Roku to Actiontec c1000a is to change it's channel to channel 11, same thing applies to any other Wireless modem. I had to do the same thing with CableOne's Motorola wireless modem absolutely has to be on channel 11 for Roku to connect. My friend across town could not connect to Roku I changed his channel to 11 and 1st try it connected. IT HAS TO BE ON CHANNEL 11 !!!!

I imagine you just need to change it to another channel because the defaults are saturated.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby W_S » Thu May 16, 2013 6:59 pm

After not being able to connect to Roku, I went to Roku's tech support they told me to set router to channel 11, it was not due to over saturated channels. This is not mentioned in Roku's setup instructions that come with the unit, but it sure works!! Tryed it on 3 different systems that would not connect, changed to channel 11 then bingo 1st try it connected.
W_S

Postby trekkeriii » Thu May 16, 2013 7:05 pm

W_S wrote:After not being able to connect to Roku, I went to Roku's tech support they told me to set router to channel 11, it was not due to overcrowed channels. This is not mentioned in Roku's setup instructions that come with the unit.

Makes no sense to me. My advice is if you have an Android phone, get Wi-fi Analyzer app, and use it to find the least saturated wi-fi channel. Usually it is channel 11, because most routers default to 1 or 6.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion