Streaming from PC to TV via Roku 2XS

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Streaming from PC to TV via Roku 2XS

Postby killmeister » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:53 am

I recently purchased a Roku 2 XS and it seems to work fine over my home network. What I would like to know is, is there a way to "stream" videos, photos, etc either stored on, or being played on my computer. I don't want to connect my laptop directly to my living room TV. I actually want to transmit (stream) content from my PC to my large TV. Is it possible to do this using (or via) my Roku box?
killmeister
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:38 am

Re: Streaming from PC to TV via Roku 2XS

Postby syphan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:52 am

Install the plex channel on your roku. Works a treat and has a really nice interface too. You also need to install a plex server software on your PC. Dont worry it fairly simple to install. The bonus is if you link your plex roku channel to your plex account you can watch movies on your roku anywhere you get a internet connection even at your friends house as long as your pc is on at home. :D
Roku XD 2050
Roku LT
Roku XS
Roku 3
syphan
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:53 am

Re: Streaming from PC to TV via Roku 2XS

Postby RickRansom » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:35 pm

syphan wrote:Install the plex channel on your roku. Works a treat and has a really nice interface too. You also need to install a plex server software on your PC. Dont worry it fairly simple to install. The bonus is if you link your plex roku channel to your plex account you can watch movies on your roku anywhere you get a internet connection even at your friends house as long as your pc is on at home. :D
+1 :mrgreen:
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: Streaming from PC to TV via Roku 2XS

Postby reno1217 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 am

not to hijack the thread but a quick question about all of this.. i know you can access files already stored on the pc "folders" but i am wanting to stream the whole desktop and what is playing on it "audio and video" example: i want to stream music i am playing on my pc via a http web site to my tv without sound quality loss.. like mog.com
reno1217
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:51 am

Re: Streaming from PC to TV via Roku 2XS

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 am

reno1217 wrote:not to hijack the thread but a quick question about all of this.. i know you can access files already stored on the pc "folders" but i am wanting to stream the whole desktop and what is playing on it "audio and video" example: i want to stream music i am playing on my pc via a http web site to my tv without sound quality loss.. like mog.com


The Roku doesn't do that.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3481
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Streaming from PC to TV via Roku 2XS

Postby trekkeriii » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:08 am

reno1217 wrote:not to hijack the thread but a quick question about all of this.. i know you can access files already stored on the pc "folders" but i am wanting to stream the whole desktop and what is playing on it "audio and video" example: i want to stream music i am playing on my pc via a http web site to my tv without sound quality loss.. like mog.com


Roku doesn't have the equivalent to Apple's Airplay unfortunately.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: Streaming from PC to TV via Roku 2XS

Postby reno1217 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

ummm done the next best thing to streaming! hehehe bought a 33 ft hdmi cable to go to my pc to system.. works great... was expecting drop outs but absolutely 0 drop outs at 33 ft!
reno1217
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:51 am

Re: Streaming from PC to TV via Roku 2XS

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:08 pm

reno1217 wrote:ummm done the next best thing to streaming! hehehe bought a 33 ft hdmi cable to go to my pc to system.. works great... was expecting drop outs but absolutely 0 drop outs at 33 ft!


I love my Roku, but nothing compares to having your computer connected directly to your television (especially if you have a good Media Center application and a remote).
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3481
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am


Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests