Redbox Instant on Roku ?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Redbox Instant on Roku ?

Postby mikeyts » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:28 pm

socantra wrote:Your typical network series has about 26 episodes a season. That runs the numbers up fairly quickly. :)

I'm talking about a total of 3000 seasons for all of the TV series.
mikeyts

Postby TheEndless » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:20 pm

mikeyts wrote:
socantra wrote:Your typical network series has about 26 episodes a season. That runs the numbers up fairly quickly. :)

I'm talking about a total of 3000 seasons for all of the TV series.

As of last night there are 1,344 television series, with a total of 42,101 episodes. There are 9,109 movies. So, technically, there are 51,210 total streaming titles.

I'm not sure how many seasons there are, because I don't capture that information, but it's not that unreasonable to think there might be between 2000 and 3000 given the number of series (Doctor Who alone has 24 seasons).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Buckeye911 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:15 am

kenwvt wrote:They won't have many users out of the box if that is true as most blu-ray players can't be upgraded to add new channels. My LG player is stuck with what it had a few years ago, doesn't even have Amazon Instant. To me Roku is a no brainer !

-Ken

My LG Blu-ray player has received new channels over the time I've had it. I've had Amazon Instant on it for a year, I think it's time to check your firmware for an upgrade. I'm guessing that it may have something to do with your unit being a few years old. I've had my BD670 for over a year and it's had several firmware updates in that time.
Buckeye911

Postby benyovo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:17 am

Just got my Beta invite . . .
Here are the top 15 titles

EpixExtra
Thor
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Madea's Big Happy Family
Morning Glory
Justin Beiber: Never say Never
Usher: Live from London
Rango
Beat the World
Lincoln Lawyer
Paranormal Activity 3
Expendables
Winters Bone
Parnormal Activity 2
True Grit
Iron Man 2
Last Exocism
Alpha and Omega
Case 39
Rise: Blood Hunter
Hotel Rwanda

Not sure if I see anything that Netflix doesn't have.
benyovo

Postby Buckeye911 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:21 am

^^^ I don't see anything on this list that isn't on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime.
Buckeye911

Postby benyovo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:36 am

Here's some more 'meh' for you.

HUNGER GAMES
HD streaming rental: 5.99
Blu Ray rental: 1.25 (I think that's the price locally)

Act of Valor
HD streaming rental: 3.98
This is free on Netflix (with your subscription of course)

If the selection were comparable to Netflix, I might be tempted (it comes with 4 free kiosk credits). But if I have to pay extra for movies that are included in the Netflix subscription . . . . A little underwhelming
benyovo

Postby mikeyts » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:32 am

benyovo wrote:HUNGER GAMES
HD streaming rental: 5.99

I can stream Hunger Games as VUDU HDX for $6. Have they revealed any specs for their HD video?
mikeyts

Postby janel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:25 am

benyovo wrote:Just got my Beta invite . . .

How'd you apply?
Roku2 XD 3050x, Cisco 2100, Linksys WRT54G v2, Charter 18Mbps w/ PowerBoost, Sony Bravia KDL-46V2500, HDMI @jloyless
janel

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:42 pm

While in most cases, including this one, more is almost certainly better it seems that RedBox does not add anything new in the way of content.

However there are a LOT of channels that enjoy fair popularity that have content that is simply redundant or filtered versions of content that is already available.

It has been a very long time since unique and/or new quality content has arrived in the ch store and I am not at all sure where that content could come from but I am fairly sure it will not and cannot come from a streaming service the likes of RedBox.

Of course there is a LOT of older content that is not, it seems, available for streaming anywhere. ex. the TV series "Spenser for Hire"

If RedBox could somehow get many of the TV series that are not readily available through what we currently have then their addition would have real value for me instead of simply being another repetitive service that provides the same content as is already available.
Gilgamesh

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:While in most cases, including this one, more is almost certainly better it seems that RedBox does not add anything new in the way of content.

However there are a LOT of channels that enjoy fair popularity that have content that is simply redundant or filtered versions of content that is already available.

It has been a very long time since unique and/or new quality content has arrived in the ch store and I am not at all sure where that content could come from but I am fairly sure it will not and cannot come from a streaming service the likes of RedBox.

Of course there is a LOT of older content that is not, it seems, available for streaming anywhere. ex. the TV series "Spenser for Hire"

If RedBox could somehow get many of the TV series that are not readily available through what we currently have then their addition would have real value for me instead of simply being another repetitive service that provides the same content as is already available.

I think you hit the nail on the head with "I am not at all sure where that content could come from". Netflix has pretty much tapped the well dry in terms of scooping up what's easily available. Shows that aren't available right now are likely due to rights issues beyond the scope of what a third-party can help with (i.e., the rights holders need to solve some problem on their own). We might see more exclusive rights for new releases from the major players in the future (all related to who pays the studio the most money for exclusive rights), but no amount of money can bring to life shows where there are internal rights issues.
mikebdoss

Postby KennyJ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 pm

janel wrote:
benyovo wrote:Just got my Beta invite . . .

How'd you apply?

https://www.redboxinstant.com/rbgatekeeper/
KennyJ

Postby zzxx » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 pm

As an educated consumer, I place this Rebox Instant CRAP along side last years Blockbuster Movie Pass BS. I saw through the smoke and mirrors then as I do today. A Netflix Killer? LOL. Seriously, go the Redbox route and save a total of $2 and you get streaming rights to Epix. LOL. Who does not have Epix? That is the Redbox Instant streaming selling point here folks. LOL. Does the Redbox/Epix merger even offer content on the Roku or game consoles? It does not appear to be in their plans. Oh, what to do in this situation? Give up on Netflix? LOL. I suppose I could ditch my Roku, Apple TV, Playstation and Xbox 360 to find that elusive streaming player that gives you and I Redbox Instant so we can save a lousy $2 for a fraction and I mean fraction of streaming content. I can not be the only one here who clearly sees through this. Can we all collectively call it? Wait for it, and here it is...BS!!!
zzxx

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 am

zzxx wrote:As an educated consumer, I place this Rebox Instant CRAP along side last years Blockbuster Movie Pass BS. I saw through the smoke and mirrors then as I do today. A Netflix Killer? LOL. Seriously, go the Redbox route and save a total of $2 and you get streaming rights to Epix. LOL. Who does not have Epix? That is the Redbox Instant streaming selling point here folks. LOL. Does the Redbox/Epix merger even offer content on the Roku or game consoles? It does not appear to be in their plans. Oh, what to do in this situation? Give up on Netflix? LOL. I suppose I could ditch my Roku, Apple TV, Playstation and Xbox 360 to find that elusive streaming player that gives you and I Redbox Instant so we can save a lousy $2 for a fraction and I mean fraction of streaming content. I can not be the only one here who clearly sees through this. Can we all collectively call it? Wait for it, and here it is...BS!!!

I couldn't possibly get that excited about something I say I don't care about. Quiet non-involvement is so much easier.
mikebdoss

Postby zzxx » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:46 am

Does that mean you are with me in calling BS?
zzxx

Postby rythemovieguy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:06 am

zzxx wrote:As an educated consumer, I place this Rebox Instant CRAP along side last years Blockbuster Movie Pass BS. I saw through the smoke and mirrors then as I do today. A Netflix Killer? LOL. Seriously, go the Redbox route and save a total of $2 and you get streaming rights to Epix. LOL. Who does not have Epix? That is the Redbox Instant streaming selling point here folks. LOL. Does the Redbox/Epix merger even offer content on the Roku or game consoles? It does not appear to be in their plans. Oh, what to do in this situation? Give up on Netflix? LOL. I suppose I could ditch my Roku, Apple TV, Playstation and Xbox 360 to find that elusive streaming player that gives you and I Redbox Instant so we can save a lousy $2 for a fraction and I mean fraction of streaming content. I can not be the only one here who clearly sees through this. Can we all collectively call it? Wait for it, and here it is...BS!!!

I am actually excited. The main problem I have with Netflix is New Releases (they are non-exsistent). The selling point by Redbox of giving you 4 free rentals a month at their Kiosks all under the $8 price point helps solve the New Release problem for people trying to get all their movie needs (streaming older crap/ seeing new releases) covered in 1 plan. Netflix did not get to 9,000 movies in their streaming service over night.
rythemovieguy

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion