Roku 2 XS Can't connect to Amazon Instant

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 2 XS Can't connect to Amazon Instant

Postby arnoldPickens » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Hello all,

So my Roku 2 XS (refurbished) arrived in the mail 2 days ago, and I'm excited! However, I am having some issues...

First, Vudu tells me that my network is disconnected. It obviously isn't. More importantly, Amazon Instant is not working. This app is one of the main reasons I bought the Roku (because I'm a Prime member), so I'd really like to resolve this quickly. When I try to start Amazon, 99% of the time I get the message "Can't connect to Amazon Instant Video" and it tells me to contact Amazon customer service. The 1% of the time when I get to the main Amazon menu, after selecting a menu item the same error message comes up. I have yet to even begin to stream anything from Amazon Instant.

I did call Amazon, and they were no help but told me to contact Roku, which I did. Best the Roku guy could figure, it was a problem with my internet speed (my speed was maxing at ~1.4mb/s. This is strange though, because Crackle, Smithsonian, etc. seemed to work fine; Amazon and Vudu were the only problem apps so far. But I called my internet provider and upped my speed to 10mb/s; the speed test today resulted in about 6mb/s, which should be PLENTY fast, right? The Roku is hard wired, not on wireless. I have power cycled both the Roku and the router, put the Roku into my firewall's DMZ, and still Amazon isn't working. I even changed my Roku streaming speed from "automatic" to 3.5mb/s, and tried removing and re-installing the Amazon channel. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Roku 2 XS (refurbished)
Hard wired
Century Link ISP
Modem/router: 2Wire 2701HG-S
arnoldPickens

Re: Roku 2 XS Can't connect to Amazon Instant

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Delete the channel and re-add it.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby arnoldPickens » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:12 am

I've actually done that twice already :(
arnoldPickens

Postby philsoft » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:15 am

Do you have any firewalls enabled in the router? If so try temporarily disabling any router security and see if the problem persists. Try a wireless connection to see if that clears it up. Try connecting the Roku directly to the cable modem, then reboot the cable modem, and see if that works. If you have a spare you can try changing the Ethernet cable between the router and the modem. Try rebooting the cable modem and the router, and the Roku in that order.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby __5 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:22 am

^
+1

also,

Try to "Restart" the 2wire system (from the 2wire user interface).

- Unplug the Ethernet cable from Roku,
- Unplug the power cord from Roku.

• From a PC (connected via Ethernet to the 2wire) access the 2Wire user interface,
    • Enter > http://gateway.2wire.net
    • System > Details > select “Restart the system”
    • Wait until the 2wire fully restarts.
- Re-plug the Ethernet cable to Roku
- Re-plug power cord to Roku.
- Try it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:idea: FYI, did you know HDMI 1.4 specification have now five HDMI cable types to choose from. read here.
__5

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:24 am

philsoft wrote:Do you have any firewalls enabled in the router? If so try temporarily disabling any router security and see if the problem persists. Try a wireless connection to see if that clears it up. Try connecting the Roku directly to the cable modem, then reboot the cable modem, and see if that works. If you have a spare you can try changing the Ethernet cable between the router and the modem. Try rebooting the cable modem and the router, and the Roku in that order.

Generally 2wire devices (crappy devices by the way) are a modem/router gateway combo, so he's most likely not able to bypass it unless he sets the Roku to be in the DMZ.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.2)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby arnoldPickens » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Hey all,

Thanks for the tips. Ends up that I was able to fix it by switching from wired to wireless. Is this a common bug? Hopefully they'll fix it soon. My internet is fast enough for it not to be a big problem, but I still would rather have the Roku hard-wired. Do you think buying a different router would fix the problem?
arnoldPickens

Postby arnoldPickens » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
philsoft wrote:Do you have any firewalls enabled in the router? If so try temporarily disabling any router security and see if the problem persists. Try a wireless connection to see if that clears it up. Try connecting the Roku directly to the cable modem, then reboot the cable modem, and see if that works. If you have a spare you can try changing the Ethernet cable between the router and the modem. Try rebooting the cable modem and the router, and the Roku in that order.

Generally 2wire devices (crappy devices by the way) are a modem/router gateway combo, so he's most likely not able to bypass it unless he sets the Roku to be in the DMZ.

Before switching to wireless, I did put the Roku in the DMZ without success.
arnoldPickens

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion