New channel - Dropbox

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: New channel - Dropbox

Postby WilDD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:02 pm

lrlala wrote:I just loaded roDropbox (yes, paid the $9.99), and very easily got it connected to my folder (wireless) to stream photos. Have maybe 100 photos in the folder. It takes a while to get to the play screen (shows "Working" for a while) - I assume that's because of the number of photos in my folder? Anyway, I tried it on shuffle, and it selects 16 of the photos (from all locations within the 100) and plays only those 16, in the same order, over and over. It tried it without shuffle, and it does the exact same thing, but with 12 photos (and it doesn't even take the first two in the folder, but starts from the 3rd). Can anyone help me get it to go through all the photos in the folder instead of just repeating these few?

The Roku player supports jpg, png, and gif images. If you have other formats, it won't play them. Once the slideshow starts, you can press the down arrow on the remote once, and it will start showing the filename of each photo and the count (xxx/yyy) at the bottom of the screen. Maybe you can tell from this which ones aren't playing. I just tried it with 72 photos, and it seems to be showing all of them. There shouldn't be a limit unless the Roku runs out of memory, but that would take a lot more than 100 photos.
WilDD

Postby WilDD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:03 pm

smoelheim wrote:WilDD...
I just tried to load roDropBox Cloud so that I could test it and, and am being told that my 30-day free trial is up. I'm guessing I tried using it when I first got my Roku, but wasn't interested in setting up the HTTP server on a dedicated machine (I dont have an always-on box), so I bailed on the idea.

Now, I'd like to revisit it with the Dropbox concept.

Is there any way to get a reset on my 30-day trial? I'm ALL OVER this channel if it works well.

Thanks!

See the pm I sent you.
WilDD

Postby lrlala » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:26 pm

WilDD wrote:The Roku player supports jpg, png, and gif images. If you have other formats, it won't play them. Once the slideshow starts, you can press the down arrow on the remote once, and it will start showing the filename of each photo and the count (xxx/yyy) at the bottom of the screen. Maybe you can tell from this which ones aren't playing. I just tried it with 72 photos, and it seems to be showing all of them. There shouldn't be a limit unless the Roku runs out of memory, but that would take a lot more than 100 photos.

Thank you. Also, last time I had all photos in just one folder, the root folder. After I posted, I separated them into 2 folders to see if that would help, although I don't want to do that, because I want them all to show in completely random order, not just by folder. It actually did allow a greater number of photos while in shuffle mode (but I can't remember how many it was that day). Today I went back and verified they were all jpg, and did check the XXX/YYY -- I actually have 230 photos in there. However it's shuffling only 36 of them, in exactly the same order every time. Do you have another suggestion?

Also, I do want to have many many more photos than that, as we're actually doing this for my dad, and the whole family will upload photos to the dropbox folder. Our preference is not to use Picasa or Shutterfly as that would be too difficult for him to deal with.
lrlala

Postby philsoft » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:44 pm

How big are those photos?
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby lrlala » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:15 pm

philsoft wrote:How big are those photos?

Quite a big range in size: some in 200-400 KB range, some in 600-700 KB range, but a few are in 1,000's, one is 3600 and one is 7,000 KB.
lrlala

Postby philsoft » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:53 pm

lrlala wrote:

Quite a big range in size: some in 200-400 KB range, some in 600-700 KB range, but a few are in 1,000's, one is 3600 and one is 7,000 KB.

I mean pixels high by pixels wide. It seems like I remember the Roku being particular about dimensions over a certain size. Are the ones that are showing, of the same approximate size?
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby lrlala » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:46 pm

philsoft wrote:
lrlala wrote:

I mean pixels high by pixels wide. It seems like I remember the Roku being particular about dimensions over a certain size. Are the ones that are showing, of the same approximate size?

Oh. All different sizes are rotating through. And each time I open Dropbox and play/shuffle, different pictures come up, it's just that it only rotates between 36 pictures. Many are 2048x1536, smaller ones have shown up, so have some 3072x2304 and 5184x3456. But perhaps its getting stuck on just 36 because of sizes?
lrlala

Postby lion7718 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:11 pm

I don't use Dropbox, but I have dealt with a lot of pics when I modded a celeb pic site...anyway...
I know it's time consuming, but if it's possible to go through your pics one at a time on the Roku instead of random you might find that you have a corrupt jpg in your folder...just a thought. :wink:
lion7718

Postby rshel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:06 am

Am I missing something? The roksbox website has instructions for Dropbox integration that still require you to use the media server on the computer. I was under the impression when I plunked down $10 that I would be able to access my photos on the Dropbox servers. I already have Plex and a couple of other perfectly fine, free media servers--I don't need another one and so this app would appear to be a waste of money. I can access my Dropbox photos through the Roku roksbox app but it is so slow and clunky that it's hardly worth using. In the time it took for Roksbox to parse my directory structure, which it does every single time I try to use it, I actually was able to go to my computer, format a usb stick, download about 50 recent photos, come back, and plug it into my tv for viewing. Ridiculous. I hope I'm just doing something wrong because otherwise, I'll just delete this app and resign myself to having thrown away $10. Anyone have better luck with Dropbox on Roku?
rshel

Postby WilDD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:34 am

rshel wrote:Am I missing something? The roksbox website has instructions for Dropbox integration that still require you to use the media server on the computer. I was under the impression when I plunked down $10 that I would be able to access my photos on the Dropbox servers. I already have Plex and a couple of other perfectly fine, free media servers--I don't need another one and so this app would appear to be a waste of money. I can access my Dropbox photos through the Roku roksbox app but it is so slow and clunky that it's hardly worth using. In the time it took for Roksbox to parse my directory structure, which it does every single time I try to use it, I actually was able to go to my computer, format a usb stick, download about 50 recent photos, come back, and plug it into my tv for viewing. Ridiculous. I hope I'm just doing something wrong because otherwise, I'll just delete this app and resign myself to having thrown away $10. Anyone have better luck with Dropbox on Roku?

Roksbox does not require you to use a media server. You can setup Dropbox from the default user by going to Options -> My Options -> Setup Wizard -> Dropbox and follow the instructions. This will setup Dropbox on your default user. If you already have something set up on the default user and you don't want to change it, you can create another user by going to Optons -> Manage Users -> Add User and create a new user. Then you can log off and log back on as that new user and setup Dropbox for that user. You can then switch back and forth between the two users according to whichever media source you want to use.

As for the slowness with photos, that has been changed in the Dropbox option of Roksbox (V2.0.9), and will be changed in roDropbox in early January (when Roku starts updating channels again). If you have a Roku 2, you should see a drastic difference in speed.
WilDD

Postby csPlay » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:39 pm

Another Free Channel "Couchy Play" in store allows you to view your dropbox's photo, video, audio for FREE.
Check it out.
csPlay

Postby raaurora » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:50 am

rshel wrote:Am I missing something? ... Anyone have better luck with Dropbox on Roku?

I feel like I'm missing something too. I'm a big user of Dropbox and have lots of pics and some videos out there. But using Plex for free I can just map a drive to my Dropbox folder and add it to my library. Or, just have those pictures and videos on a shared network drive or even worst case on the local hard drive where the Plex server runs.

I guess I just don't get the added value of buying the Dropbox channel over one of the free apps already in the channel store?
raaurora

Postby WilDD » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 pm

raaurora wrote:
rshel wrote:Am I missing something? ... Anyone have better luck with Dropbox on Roku?

I feel like I'm missing something too. I'm a big user of Dropbox and have lots of pics and some videos out there. But using Plex for free I can just map a drive to my Dropbox folder and add it to my library. Or, just have those pictures and videos on a shared network drive or even worst case on the local hard drive where the Plex server runs.

I guess I just don't get the added value of buying the Dropbox channel over one of the free apps already in the channel store?

The biggest difference with the Dropbox channel is that it doesn't require you to set up a server, or to have your computer running to access your media files from Dropbox. All you need is your Roku and your Dropbox account. The Dropbox channel accesses your media files directly from Dropbox. This way you could move your Roku to a different location outside your local network and still access your files. Or you could share your Dropbox files with family members who have their own Roku.
WilDD

Postby raaurora » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:02 am

WilDD wrote:The biggest difference with the Dropbox channel is that it doesn't require you to set up a server, or to have your computer running to access your media files from Dropbox. All you need is your Roku and your Dropbox account. The Dropbox channel accesses your media files directly from Dropbox. This way you could move your Roku to a different location outside your local network and still access your files. Or you could share your Dropbox files with family members who have their own Roku.

ah, ok. makes sense...thanks.
raaurora

Postby Frazier » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Hello,
I tried using Couchytv with Dropbox, the only things that show up are pics no video files. Would anyone have any ideas? Or another option to play my media files?

Thanks,
Frazier
Frazier

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion