SyFy channel now available in the channel store

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: SyFy channel now available in the channel store

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:19 am

I'd pay maybe $10/mnth for syfy or the History channel but they'd be REAL hard pressed to squeeze multiple times the price of Netflix for just one channel's worth of programming out of me
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:20 am

philsoft wrote:If you were the CFO of SyFy and you already had the channel in place, and someone to maintain the channel. All that is left is arranging a way to take money. If you start seeing an interest in people paying, say 8 bucks a month, for access to your catalog, and all you have to do is figure out a way to take their money, then it becomes something that can't be ignored. A La Carte pricing will be higher than Cable, but I always knew it would be. That is fine with me because I would rather pay 25 or 30 bucks a month for channels I actually watch, rather than a hundred bucks a month for a package that I watch TWO PERCENT of.

I am more worried about ESPN or other networks when the time comes doing some kind of year contract type model, because otherwise, people are going to just keep ESPN only during their favorite sports season. ESPN doesn't want that. Same thing with other channels, you might have a TV show you want to see new episodes of during certain parts of the year, but then only subscribe to the network during that time. Only channels I see benefiting year around are possibly News channels.

A la carte is just not favorable with big companies right now, because of this possibility, plus the fact people are subscribing to entire buckets of programming. Cable network companies are not going to get away from that anytime soon. I see the possibility of IPTV cable TV services becoming more the norm (AT&T technically is already, but they require their own device) with Roku and like devices.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby DBDukes » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:51 am

trekkeriii wrote:I am more worried about ESPN or other networks when the time comes doing some kind of year contract type model, because otherwise, people are going to just keep ESPN only during their favorite sports season. ESPN doesn't want that. Same thing with other channels, you might have a TV show you want to see new episodes of during certain parts of the year, but then only subscribe to the network during that time. Only channels I see benefiting year around are possibly News channels.

A la carte is just not favorable with big companies right now, because of this possibility, plus the fact people are subscribing to entire buckets of programming. Cable network companies are not going to get away from that anytime soon. I see the possibility of IPTV cable TV services becoming more the norm (AT&T technically is already, but they require their own device) with Roku and like devices.

ESPN and other live-event providers could follow the example of MLB.tv where they offer a season package. For me, it's college football. This is the only reason I bought an Xbox and have an Xbox Live Gold account: the ESPN app. If they offered a seasonal package, I'd bite. Heck, there are all kinda ways they could offer content, and each of them would make money. Cable/satellite outlets might not be happy, though.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby philsoft » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am

trekkeriii wrote:I am more worried about ESPN or other networks when the time comes doing some kind of year contract type model, because otherwise, people are going to just keep ESPN only during their favorite sports season. ESPN doesn't want that. Same thing with other channels, you might have a TV show you want to see new episodes of during certain parts of the year, but then only subscribe to the network during that time. Only channels I see benefiting year around are possibly News channels.

Right now, the Cable networks are getting nothing from me, I am using OTA to get my live television, and this trend seems to be gaining traction. More and more people are moving toward OTA and that is becoming a significant amount of lost revenue for the cable networks. I was particularly angry when I learned that I was essentially paying more than 5 dollars a month for ESPN which I didn't watch. So I was being used to subsidize someone else's viewing habits.

When I refer to A La Carte, I am referring to it via IPTV. The cable companies were told very vocally that people wanted A La Carte pricing and they ignored it. The way I see it, they blew their shot.
philsoft

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Years ago I would have been happy to pay for the SciFi channel on the Roku...as long as it wasn't too exensive. Now that it is "Syfy" I am not so sure I would pay for it. Not enough real science fiction on it these days. I would love it if they went back to their roots when they had shows like Farscape.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby DBDukes » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 pm

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:Years ago I would have been happy to pay for the SciFi channel on the Roku...as long as it wasn't too exensive. Now that it is "Syfy" I am not so sure I would pay for it. Not enough real science fiction on it these days. I would love it if they went back to their roots when they had shows like Farscape.

Remember when you saw history on the History Channel, and not Big Foot or Alien Hunters and such? Good times.

If SyFy and other providers won't provide full content, I suppose I'll just content myself to buying shows from Amazon ... if they're not on Hulu Plus.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby Buckeye911 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:27 pm

DBDukes wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:Years ago I would have been happy to pay for the SciFi channel on the Roku...as long as it wasn't too exensive. Now that it is "Syfy" I am not so sure I would pay for it. Not enough real science fiction on it these days. I would love it if they went back to their roots when they had shows like Farscape.

Remember when you saw history on the History Channel, and not Big Foot or Alien Hunters and such? Good times.

If SyFy and other providers won't provide full content, I suppose I'll just content myself to buying shows from Amazon ... if they're not on Hulu Plus.

I'm so old I can even remember when they used to play music on MTV.
Buckeye911

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:24 pm

stratcat96 wrote:remember what Crackle was before they were filled with free movies and TV? Give them time, I personally am excited to see SyFy take the first steps

Hopefully, that will be the case. Or it could end up being like Roku's Disney Channel, whereby (aside from the "classic" cartoon shorts) the network seems content to let it's Roku channel be more of a promotional vehicle for it's contemporary programming, rather than being an outlet for the programming itself.

socantra wrote:
philsoft wrote:Free channel, with content we previously didn't have access to, and people still complain ... Sigh.

So, all free content is good content? Some folks are easily satisfied...sigh. Sorry if I was hoping for something worthwhile, or even mildly entertaining. I guess that is being rather unreasonable.

Kinda reminds you of the people who ran the orphanage in Oliver Twist, doesn't it? "You want ANOTHER bowl of gruel???? Why you ungrateful little %@&$!"
Frankie'sMarket

Postby socantra » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Frankie'sMarket wrote:
socantra wrote:
philsoft wrote:Free channel, with content we previously didn't have access to, and people still complain ... Sigh.

So, all free content is good content? Some folks are easily satisfied...sigh. Sorry if I was hoping for something worthwhile, or even mildly entertaining. I guess that is being rather unreasonable.

Kinda reminds you of the people who ran the orphanage in Oliver Twist, doesn't it? "You want ANOTHER bowl of gruel???? Why you ungrateful little %@&$!"

I am delighted that you have gotten a new bowl of gruel and I hope you get all you can stomach this holiday season. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby Ozwalt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:50 am

Me 10 minutes ago: "Cool! A SyFy channel!" Me 10 seconds ago: "This channel's worthless." Installed and deleted immediately. Nothing but clips. What a waste, SyFy. Get a clue. Trying to use a Roku channel as nothing but a marketing ploy to get people like me to find another way to watch your shows is an exercise in futility and stupidity.

BTW, I tried to post this at SyFy, but their forums have apparently been taken down.
Ozwalt

Postby philsoft » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:49 am

Ozwalt wrote:Me 10 minutes ago: "Cool! A SyFy channel!" Me 10 seconds ago: "This channel's worthless." Installed and deleted immediately. Nothing but clips. What a waste, SyFy. Get a clue. Trying to use a Roku channel as nothing but a marketing ploy to get people like me to find another way to watch your shows is an exercise in futility and stupidity.

BTW, I tried to post this at SyFy, but their forums have apparently been taken down.

Did you read this thread before posting?
philsoft

Postby vnzjunk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:00 pm

I tend to look at these type of channels as basically unpaid free advertising for the provider cable/network channel. I used to get all excited when one of em would show up only to be disappointed when I saw that it was basically full or not so full of teaser content. PBS and several others exempt of course as they offer up most if not all of the real content. Those type of channels that do not do nothing to enhance my own viewing pleasure and I pretty much ignore them. I like many of the early adopters I fondly remember the days of very few channels and how many would glow about new channels which today would get little or no notice among the current multitude of offerings. Lots of choices are great but then the realization hits that many of the choices are just not all that..........not so much.

Just my opinion of course

socantra wrote:If its just short clips, then they, like the rest of the cable/satellite industry, are still treating Roku and internet streaming with contempt. WHO CARES?

I'm really glad that I caught this thread before I went to the trouble of installing the channel. Wake me up when they get serious. :roll:
vnzjunk

Postby Crow550 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:36 pm

People still watch the "SyFy" channel and want it streaming?

Come on this channel is way past the glory years and has became an insult to Science Fiction. You want SciFi? Go watch some on Netflix Instant, Crackle or on disc. Don't waste your time with the Siffy channel to get any type of SciFi fix. SiFi? Skiffy? Ugh....

Crapola C Movie flicks. I like goofy Movies but SyFy banks on making them cheap and cheesy and people eat it up. They don't try anymore.

Don't bother with the Feces channel. Yes at one time they were awesome. Those days are long gone sadly.

Here's a trip down memory lane: http://youtu.be/SFT6HXAM9O8
Crow550

Postby mikeyts » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Though I don't generally bother with its movies (unless I hear a number of good reviews of something), I do enjoy some of its series, like Warehouse 13, Being Human and Alphas. It'd be nice to be able to have at least as many of those episodes as you can stream from their website available on their Roku channel.
mikeyts

Postby Crow550 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 pm

mikeyts wrote:Though I don't generally bother with its movies (unless I hear a number of good reviews of something), I do enjoy some of its series, like Warehouse 13, Being Human and Alphas. It'd be nice to be able to have at least as many of those episodes as you can stream from their website available on their Roku channel.

I liked TinMan and Neverland but those don't count as Science Fiction. Guess they need to re-brand again.

Sums up what it should be and what it was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqRhJmRmIDY
Crow550

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion