new to Roku, having issues w/ playon channel

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

new to Roku, having issues w/ playon channel

Postby mmgregory53008 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Hey! i hope someone can give me a hand here. i have a roku 2 xs, im pretty happy so far. my current issue is i have installed Playon for the Disney content. it hasnt 'worked' yet. i have no idea where to start with this. my husband has a great acer laptop that everything dl and seemed to install fine on. im not a compleat tech idiot and in checking the forums havent seen anything posted about playon since 2010. should i nix it and go with something else? all i need is disney jr lol my preschoolers are going to stage a coup soon :)

btw roku's disney channel is a joke. netflix doesnt stream most of it, hulu has 2 eps, and amazon is way more then i want to spend. i was trying to get them on youtube but no luck. can i put them on a micro sd card and play them? thank you!!
mmgregory53008

Re: new to Roku, having issues w/ playon channel

Postby dwanthny » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:06 pm

PlayOn works great, but the channel is a third party channel and not supported on this forum. You have to ask PlayOn for help in their forum.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:09 pm

PlayOn is an unsupported, third party channel, and we do not offer tech support for it. You'll have to contact the developers for any tech help. Threads requesting PlayOn help will be locked.

The MicroSD slot is used only for channel/game storage. You'll need to either use a channel like Plex, or the USB channel (with an appropriate thumb drive) to play local content.

I've decided not to lock this thread, although any further discussion regarding PlayOn will cause it to be locked. Anyone who wants to provide advice for the USB channel and/or playing local content, feel free to do so :)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby roquoonewbie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Can someone (anyone) please explain why PlayOn discussions are banned here, but Plex is openly discussed? Don't they both do the same things? They each do certain things better than the other, but fundamentally, I don't see how they are different at all. Can someone please shed some light on that without wantonly slamming the door on a reasonable discussion without justification (or at least explanation)?
roquoonewbie

Postby Ing5 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:27 pm

roquoonewbie wrote:Can someone (anyone) please explain why PlayOn discussions are banned here, but Plex is openly discussed? Don't they both do the same things? They each do certain things better than the other, but fundamentally, I don't see how they are different at all. Can someone please shed some light on that without wantonly slamming the door on a reasonable discussion without justification (or at least explanation)?

Your best bet is to send a PM to RokuShawn and he'll be happy to explain.
Ing5

Postby roquoonewbie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm

I was hoping for a public explanation. It seems the reason for this policy shouldn't be left so secretive and mysterious. How are people to know the rules if they are not explained (with reason provided)? A clear policy is good policy. A mysteriously avoided topic is censorship, which Roku has every right to engage in on their own forum, but I would think they would want to explain the reasoning if given the opportunity to avoid the perception that they are censoring without good cause.

So again I ask, what is it about PlayOn (**which can't also be said of Plex**), that makes discussing it so taboo on this forum?
roquoonewbie

Postby Ing5 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:42 pm

There are some 'legal' issues with PlayOn, so Roku has chosen to 'distance' themselves (and the forum) from any issues. It's not about censorship.
Ing5

Postby roquoonewbie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 pm

But again, what "legal" issues are there with PlayOn, that don't also exist with Plex? They do the same thing as far as I can tell. Or perhaps there is some secret feature of PlayOn that Plex doesn't also do?
roquoonewbie

Postby kc8pql » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:58 pm

There was a formal DMCA complaint I believe.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby trekkeriii » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm

roquoonewbie wrote:But again, what "legal" issues are there with PlayOn, that don't also exist with Plex? They do the same thing as far as I can tell. Or perhaps there is some secret feature of PlayOn that Plex doesn't also do?

There's obviously an NDA in place so that the staff can't discuss it, which includes them mentioning the channel at all in their "Forum Guidelines". DMCA notices can be written to include non-disclosure clauses. Just know that it's a forbidden topic, and move on. Speculation is that Hulu had something to do with it since it was around the time HuluPlus arrived on Roku devices.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby dwanthny » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 pm

roquoonewbie wrote:But again, what "legal" issues are there with PlayOn, that don't also exist with Plex? They do the same thing as far as I can tell. Or perhaps there is some secret feature of PlayOn that Plex doesn't also do?

This is what I understand the difference is. When PlayOn (a commercial product) was in the channel store they were (and still are) pushing their platform as a way to watch Hulu on your TV. Short of actually connecting a computer to your TV Hulu and their partners refuse to allow anything but Hulu+ to be streamed to your TV. Hulu (who had their Hulu plus channel on Roku that all contributors to Hulu agreed could be sent to the TV) objected to a company on the Roku that seemed to be operating outside of Hulu's license agreements. Roku compromised by removing PlayOn from the channel store (but still allowing the private channel to exist) and referring future discussions of the channel to PlayOn's own forum.

Since then other Sites have objected to channels on the Roku. Channels such as History, HGTV, TV.com and Youtube have all been removed because the owners of the media decided those channels violated their terms also. All of these channels are also available and provided by the PlayOn as part of buying their product.

Plex on the other hand is not a commercial company. The base Plex channel developers do not specifically provide nor directly support the above mentioned channels in their package. The main Plex suite does promise the ability to stream virtually any private media to the Roku and they provide a scripting language which independent developers have indeed provided access to similar if not exactly the same content that the PlayOn company supports.

Additionally even though Plex is not taboo in this forum, you will often see folks referred to the Plex forums to take their more detailed questions.

I hope this helps you understand a little what has gone on to make PlayOn taboo.
Last edited by dwanthny on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby kc8pql » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:20 pm

When PlayOn (a commercial product) was in thye channel store...

It was never in the channel store. It was always a private channel.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby dwanthny » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:29 pm

kc8pql wrote:
When PlayOn (a commercial product) was in thye channel store...

It was never in the channel store. It was always a private channel.

Thanks for clarifying my statement, I stand corrected. :)

@roquoonewbie for a more detailed read on the events check out these two threads, here and here.
dwanthny

Postby roquoonewbie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:51 pm

I do appreciate the attempts to explain by others, and the information you have all provided. However, it seems to be more mis-information and speculation which is just adding to the issue.

To clarify a few things...The Plex app is made by a *commercial* company (Plex, Inc.). Just look here to see that they charge money, and are an incorporated entity:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8

Also, Plex does in fact develop and market a "Hulu Channel", which does pretty much the same thing that PlayOn does wrt Hulu. So I still don't see what the "legal" difference is between these two. I am watching Hulu on my Roku, right now, through the Plex Roku channel (developed by Plex). So the claims above about this being the critical difference just doesn't add up or jibe with the facts.

Lastly, I am pretty sure there is no such thing as "NDA clauses" in DMCA takedown notices, and I don't see why Hulu would care about PlayOn (but not Plex) enough to issue a DMCA notice to their *partner* Roku. DMCA takedown notices are pretty much never issued to a business partner...so I think that is just more false speculation.

So, unless somebody knows the real answer, and not just speculation, I think it would be best for Roku to explain what the difference is, and why they take issue with one product, but not the other, when they both ostensibly offer the same thing from a technical and legal perspective.
roquoonewbie

Postby RokuShawnS » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 pm

roquoonewbie wrote:I do appreciate the attempts to explain by others, and the information you have all provided. However, it seems to be more mis-information and speculation which is just adding to the issue.

To clarify a few things...The Plex app is made by a *commercial* company (Plex, Inc.). Just look here to see that they charge money, and are an incorporated entity:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8

Also, Plex does in fact develop and market a "Hulu Channel", which does pretty much the same thing that PlayOn does wrt Hulu. So I still don't see what the "legal" difference is between these two. I am watching Hulu on my Roku, right now, through the Plex Roku channel (developed by Plex). So the claims above about this being the critical difference just doesn't add up or jibe with the facts.

Lastly, I am pretty sure there is no such thing as "NDA clauses" in DMCA takedown notices, and I don't see why Hulu would care about PlayOn (but not Plex) enough to issue a DMCA notice to their *partner* Roku. DMCA takedown notices are pretty much never issued to a business partner...so I think that is just more false speculation.

So, unless somebody knows the real answer, and not just speculation, I think it would be best for Roku to explain what the difference is, and why they take issue with one product, but not the other, when they both ostensibly offer the same thing from a technical and legal perspective.

We're straying off topic folks.

Due to NDAs and/or policy, I will not comment on the reason why PlayOn was taken down (other than what I say below). Personally, I've allowed some conversations about PlayOn to continue for a few days before locking them, but ANY thread regarding tech support will be locked immediately, as PlayOn is a private channel and thus unsupported (they have their own forums you can get support at).

I will confirm that most or all of what everyone has said here is more or less accurate. We received a take-down notice. We took the channel down. We do not support the channel at all.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion